Who will be back in 2004?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by George Griffin, Oct 12, 2003.

1. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    It may be a little early to ask this question but I think it's better to make a wish list when the season is in process and players abilities are fresh in our minds.

Even though we hit a real rough patch in mid-season it looks like the Rev have a solid squad both of starters and bench players. They will have a number of high draft picks in the upcoming draft. They do need to add some team speed, esp on defense. So who will be gone to make way for the new players?

~I'm guessing that JMM and Carlos will be back as will all the rest of our current starting eleven.
    ~We may have some Cap space problems that will necessitste that we move some players.
    ~I see Bagley going back to the A-League and Fabro being waived.
    ~I see Marshall Leonard winning a regular roster slot.
    ~On the margin will be Chris Brown, Leo Cullen and Jason Moore.
    ~My guess is that the Revs will draft as many P-40's as possible.

What do you think?

George

2. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Are there any 16-17 year old New England kids currently who might do well in MLS? USSoccer.com had zip that was useful. Top Drawer Soccer had some tidbits. Grant Wahl provided this table and some other info:

U.S. Under-17 National Team
    No._ Name_ Pos._ Ht._ Wt._ DOB_ Hometown_ Club/School_
    1_ Marfuggi, Phil_ GK_ 6’0”_ 185_ 01/15/86_ West Windsor, N.J._ PDA United_
    18_ Westberg, Quentin_ GK_ 6’0”_ 165_ 04/25/86_ Saint Cloud, France_ Troyes, France_
    20_ Sandbo, Stephen_ GK_ 6’2”_ 190_ 02/23/87_ Columbus, Ohio_ Ohio Thunder_
    16_ Chevannes, Adrian_ D_ 5’11”_ 180_ 06/17/86_ Ft. Worth, Texas_ Club Dallas_
    6_ Germani, Chris_ D_ 5’7”_ 150_ 07/10/86_ Yardley, Pa._ FC Delco_
    2_ Helton, Kyle_ D_ 5’7”_ 155_ 05/20/86_ Alpharetta, Ga._ Atlanta Fire_
    5_ Owens, Brandon_ D_ 6’0”_ 170_ 01/23/86_ Murrieta, Calif._ La Jolla Nomads_
    3_ Spector, Jonathan_ D_ 6’0”_ 180_ 03/01/86_ Arlington Heights, Ill._ Man Utd_
    14_ Valentin, Julian_ D_ 5’10”_ 175_ 02/23/87_ Lancaster, Pa._ FC Delco_
    15_ Ashe, Corey_ M/F_ 5’5”_ 140_ 03/14/86_ Virginia Beach, Va._ FC Impact_
    12_ Curfman, Steven_ M_ 5’11”_ 150_ 10/08/86_ Raleigh, N.C._ CASL Elite_
    8_ DiRaimondo, John_ M_ 5’6”_ 150_ 04/23/86_ St Louis, Mo._ Busch SC_
    4_ Gaven, Eddie_ M/F_ 6’0”_ 150_ 10/25/86_ Hamilton, N.J._ MetroStars_
    10_ Gonzalez, Guillermo_ M/F_ 5’11”_ 160_ 01/04/86_ Paramount, Calif._ L.A. Galaxy (MLS)_
    7_ Grazier, Brian_ M_ 6’0”_ 165_ 03/17/86_ Edwardsville, Ill._ Metro FC_
    9_ Harrington, Michael_ M/F_ 6’0”_ 165_ 01/24/86_ Greenville, N.C._ CASL Elite_
    17_ Szetela, Daniel_ M_ 5’11”_ 170_ 06/17/87_ Clifton, N.J._ World Class Olympic_
    11_ Adu, Freddy_ F_ 5’8’_ 150_ 06/02/89_ Potomac, Md._ Bethesda Int’l_
    13_ Watson, Jamie_ F_ 5’9”_ 150_ 04/10/86_ Coppell, Texas_ Dallas Comets_
    19_ Peterson, Jacob_ F_ 5’10”_ 160_ 01/27/86_ Portage, Mi._ Michigan Wolves_
    _
    Obviously, none of these kids are New Englanders. Of these, Szetela seems likely to end up overseas, and Adu will be under the tender care of famous youth developer Ray Hudson. What it costs them will be one of the big stories of teh '03-'04 off-season.

3. George Griffin

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    Does any one know how many first and second round draft picks for 2o04 we have at the moment?

If I'm correct we picked up Cancella as a decovery player so we still have an Allocation in hand for selling Hernandez.

4. socdoc

socdoc New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    CapeCod MA
    If the Revs had any interest in "16 -17 year old kids" they missed their chance taking Noonan ahead of Gaven. Noonan is useful but Gaven looks more impressive each time I see him (his game against Dallas was superb). I think Nicol prefers more proven and predictable experienced players over young players with more potential, but also more risk. My guess is that we trade most of these picks for established players that can fill a needed role immediately.

5. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I see Jason Moore and Dario Fabbro gone. I also see Joe-Max retiring.

I'd like to see Leonard take Jason Moore's spot as the late-game substitute for Kamler.

6. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Then again, what do I know.

The reason I mentioned kids from New England is that there seems to be an unwritten rule that kids younger than 17 must be taken by a team close to home, hence Gaven to Metros, Gonzalez to LA, and presumably Adu to DCU. I don't think Revs had the option to draft Gaven. This gets to be a problem when most of the junior MNT prospects are from the left coast, Texas or Penjerdel.

7. George Griffin

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    I agree that SN seems to like players that arer ready for prime time rather than younger players that need developing. Much of what they do this next draft will depend on how they see their current roster and who they want back. The whole DV roster thing is a farce. P-40 on the other hand is a way of fleshing out the roster and gaining depth without impacting the Cap or senior roster.

I see only one player on the current roster that is gone for sure---Fabro. (Gagley will almost surely go back to Charleston). Cullen and Jason Moore are vulnerable depending what is available in trade or in the draft.

I wonder how the Revs will use their allocation?

8. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what the Revs' second round will look like, but they ought to have Chicago's first rounder as well as their own, thanks to the aborted Nowak trade.

9. RevsGuy06

RevsGuy06 Member

Feb 5, 2001
    england 2.0
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My take on the players on the bubble in my mind.

Chris Brown: He'll start next season off with the team, but not as a starter, and will have to really impress really early or he may be headed elsewhere. I'd like to keep him though; not a bad option off the bench.

Leo Cullen: He'll stay if he has no problem with being nothing more than a role player. He could have some decent trade value.

Nick Downing: He'll start off with the team full-time because I have a feeling he'll still somehow have that 'potential' tag attached to him, but will have to impress almost right away or he'll be out. Surely its his last chance.

Dario Fabbro: I miss Wolde. Goodbye

Tony Frias Part 3: Is there any worse of a farce in this league?

I. Kante: Better suited for the A-League....as a reserve at best.

Jason Moore: Needs an impressive pre-season to stay on. I'd like to see him get a more fair chance.

Kyle Singer: Are you only here because Matt Reis may be better suited as a striker than a goalkeeper?

Jay Heaps could aslo be added because it wouldnt hurt to look at other right backs, but I'll leave it alone for now.

I think Chuck will be back for one more season....unless Stevie finds a more capable centre back and/or Daouda Kante really improves in pre-season.

Knowing Joe-Max, he'll want to sign on for another season and try his damndest to stay fully fit and prove to the couple doubters here and there that he still is Joe-Max Moore. He's still got it, and truely is our best player when fit. But if next year is any worse than this year in terms of injury-related issues for Mr. Revolution, it may be time to call it quits. And it really puts me in a dismal state to say that. But to the doubters, he'll be back. And shame on you.

The rest of the bunch seem safe for now.

10. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree with the previous post about Joe-Max. Just look at the Crew game. He realize how important that game was, and took control.

11. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Is Cullen a representative to the Player's Union? In some small way I think that would keep him off the bubble and in the house. I don't claim to know all the ins and outs and 'political' implications of trading / waiving.

Kevin D.

12. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Hard to imagine that next year could be any worse (injury-wise) than this. And there's no shame in being able to read the handwriting on the wall.

JMM is just a great guy, but it's probably time to kick off the career as coach or entrepeneur. As this year has shown (on the revs and across the league), there are just too many young guys out there who can step in and make a contribution.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be willing to bet that one of the starters will be gone next year. Thinking that these players will be left available for the expansion draft:
    LLamosa
    Cullen
    Moore
    I.Kante
    Fabbro
    Marshall
    possibly JMM
    Fabbro should be gone no matter what,,,,the boy sucks and is a waste of roster space, cap room and a SI spot. Lets hope steve and the boys start looking for a defender as soon as the season is over. I honestly believe this is a team that is one or two defenders away fron being a dynasty team. With a healthy JMM and Twellman,,,they are one of the top 2 or 3 combos in the league. We have arguably the best midfield playing right now and probably the top Keeper in the league. Unfortunately we have a mediocre at best back 4 which kills us time and time again.

As for the draft,,,Defender first and then a foward for depth

14. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    i don't know how it was done '98, but i'd guess that each team is going to have to leave anywhere from 2-4 guys unprotected for san diego. i wouldn't think that any team would be required to lose more than 2 to that side.

to me, if under contract still....
    cullen, llamosa, reis, fabbro come to mind first if i had to pick 4.....maybe jason more.

if possible, i'd keep marshall, kamler, c. brown....and yes, jmm.

i'm sure it'll get more cloudy as the official announcements draw near.

hey, maybe tf3's pop has got a san diego office?
    ;)

15. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from what ive heard, san diego isnt happening til 05, so we can draft alot of rookies and sign some crap development and leave those guys unprotected.

16. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    out of curiosity, any sources to link to on this?
    seems to go against everything that mls and the city of san diego is saying. i think the only glich i see would be, if somehow, chivas' translator finally got it right and told his boss they have to adhere to the foreign player limit rule that's in place.

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would think they would be able to protect more the 2-4 players,,,,,probably closer to 7 or 8.

18. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    that's 2-4 guys "unprotected"

19. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    I too believe JMM will be around for awhile. If he keeps his percentage of injury time up, he could play for five more years (not that I would wish anyone that many 'nagging' injuries tho).

Leonard has some flexibility, athleticism, speed, defensive saavy, and potential - but I'd slot him in as a defender, because Heaps would make a better midfielder. Chris Brown is a dangerous player off the bench late in a game. That is a perfect role for him. I know that Union Rep for a team means nothing, since Paul Broome was easily moved from Dallas to LA., so I'm not sure what Cullen's future is. I see Kante (Douda, that is) staying and keeping fit. I really think he was worried that he lost his job when he was unfit, so I can't see him making that mistake again.

Llamosa?, well, if he's healthy come training camp, I see him playing one more season. If we bring in another, young defender, then Carlos' experience will be invaluable in that area.

I just wish I knew how Fabbro turned into a cone. :eek:

20. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i read it on USsoccerUK.com that the owner of Chivas was goin to take more time then expected to get everything all set.

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure it would be more than that....the league loves parity and if each team left 2-4 players unprotected then the new teams would basically have crap to choose from.

22. Scorcho

Scorcho New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Portland, ME
    Nicol has said he likes 3 stong players for every 2 positions... going on with that philosophy, I see these as the returning players:

Fowards--
    --Twellman- back with more fight than ever.
    --Joe-max- WON'T retire, he'll be back to prove there's more left in him.
    --Chris Brown- should be a great sub and a good replacement should JMM or TnT get injured.

Wings--
    --Ralston- perhaps with the captain's armband
    --Kamler- looking good, should get the ball a little more, but will be seriously pushed by...
    --Noonan- the single most important sub the Revs have

Central Mids--
    --Cancela- will only get better next year, as he learns to play with the team
    --Joseph- what a great discovery!
    --Cullen- from what I hear, adds a lot to the team off the field

Wingbacks--
    --Franchino- maybe without the armband
    --Heaps- unless they find someone better
    --Leonard- didn't like him at first, but now I think he's showing potential

Central D--
    --Pierce- I honestly think he's one of the best man-markers in the league
    --Llamosa- getting slower and sloppy... a cause for concern
    --D.Kante- a couple of shaky games earlier this year... looking sharper now

Keepers--
    --Adin- duh!
    --Reis- probably the best backup goalkeeper in the league (screw Joe Cannon)

I see these 17 as pretty safe bets. Fabro will go. Everyone else is on the bubble. I think that defense should be the emphasis in the draft.

23. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Agree with Scorcho for the most part.

I see Noonan as a much better forward than mid however. He is at his most dangerous with the ball at his feet at the edge of the area, looking to shoot or pass. He is more quick than fast, is not the greatest passer over more than 5 yards, and doesn't seem to have that first-to-the-ball mentality that you like to see in a mid, however.

I think Llamosa is of a an age when he needs competent people around him. I don't think he is sloppy.

Kamler still needs an understudy. Jason Moore is the second coming of Winston Griffiths; he isn't the answer.

I agree the draft will focus on the best available defender. Heaps and Kante need someone breathing down their necks the way Marshall pushes Franchino, who I still think is a candidate to succeed Kamler.

24. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Who will be back in 2004?

Dane Murphy - MF and Patrick Phelan - D, both from CT, have been on the U-18 team. I think Pehlan is also on the fringes of the U-20 team. I believe they are both seniors in high school, being recruited by some of the big schools: Virginia, Wake Forest for both, as well as a number of other schools. My guess is that they both go to college, but you never know.

Lee

25. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 - keep downing and >gulp< cullen for defensive purposes.

2 - JMM should not return. and if he does, make him a player/coach.

3 - im from mass and might do well in MLS :) haha

M/F 5'10'' 160 9/26/84 webster, ma/Husson College