Who will be 5th place in qualifying?

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by eldiablito, Aug 10, 2005.

1. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    Simple question:

Who will end up in 5th place and have to face Australia (possibly Solomon Islands) in a play-off?

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. Except for Brasil and Argentina at home, there are no clear favorites in any of the remaining 15 games. My guess is Colombia, finishing just behind Paraguay and Ecuador.

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    we still need a tie in Montevideo and a defeat of chile in Brazil, to keep the pace to australia.

4. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    I see Paraguay finishing just behind Ecuador and Colombia.

5. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
    you might be right, if not ... Venezuela has a chance.

Forget about Paraguay. They have it tough. If they can beat Argentina, then they are in...if not, they will stay at 22 points.

6. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
    this is how I see it

Argentina 40PTs (win all games if they don’t tie with Uruguay)
    Brazil 30PTs (win, win,.. lose to a hungry Venezuela)
    Ecuador 30PTs (win easy I hope) tie with chile
    Colombia 24PTs (lose to Uruguay –win & Draw!)
    Venezuela 24PTs (Game of Death with Brazil) the rest are easy wins
    Paraguay 23PTs (Argentina will win)
    Uruguay 21PTs (Might...Just Might beat Colombia)
    Chile 21Pts(I see Ecuador draw with Chile)
    Bolivia 16PTs (The way Peru is going,...just might be possible)
    Peru 15PTs ( Anyone with a diffrent opinon with Peru?)

7. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    I see it like this:

ARG 35 pts
    BRA 34
    ECU 27
    COL 25
    PAR 25 (by goal difference--that last game between PAR-COL decides it)
    CHI 23
    URU 22
    VEN 19
    PER 16
    BOL 16

8. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    argentina arreglo el ultimo partido de la PLATA en la ultima fecha vs Uruguay, esperemos que la historia no se repita, pues salen de takito paraguay o colombia *en caso de llegar empatados al 5th puesto!

recuerdan la ultima fecha para WC02? We do not wnat that race so close in the south.

9. magia

magia New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Asuncion
    God must be paraguayan because we are the luckiest team in south america

10. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Too me it looks like Colombia has one foot in the World Cup already. But they have a tough match agaisnt Uruguay who are a direct opponent for the 5th spot.

11. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  12. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    Honestly, I'm quite surprised to see that most here believe Venezuela will come in 5th. For that to happen, don't they have to win their last 3 games?
    When was the last time Venezuela won a qualifier? Has Venezuela ever beaten Brazil?

Just curious to see why the majority thinks Venezuela will rise to 5th from its current 9th place--in an extremely tight race.

13. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
    I agree with the poll. The Next two games, Venezuela plays at home. The last is Brazil. Uruguay lost playing Brazil but did outstanding. Venezuela will give all they got and because many undestimate them, this will fall to their advantage. Brazil will have already secured second place so the question is,...Will Brazil give all they got against Venezuela?

I'm pretty sure Colombia will take fourth the way they have been playing and I highly doubt Paraguay will beat Argentina. Paraguay has it tough the next three games.

Hey Diablito,

Why don't you start a poll on who is taking fourth place? :)

14. bolso4

bolso4 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Ah si...........y como los Colombianos se olvidan de que le ganaron 4-0 a PARAGUAY (EN Paraguay).
    Uruguay empatarle a Argentina no es nada raro (ya paso mil veces en la historia). Podrias decir que Paraguay ya estaba clasificado....pero como te olvidas de Argentina eh ;)

Porque pensas que la gente se rie de Colombia cuando hablan de ese tema. Porque cada vez que sale ese resultado ahi salta el "Colombia 4 Paraguay 0". (Como que un ladron denuncie al otro por robar la cocaina que estaba vendiendo hace anos...........se cagan solos) :rolleyes:

15. bolso4

bolso4 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I hope Venezuela can have better luck with their final games than they've been having lately.

Oh and Uruguay never lost to Brazil (tied 3-3 in Brazil and 1-1 in Uruguay)

16. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Paraguay was already qualified in that game and Colombia was in the brink of elimination and Colombia needed exactly 4 goals to catch up to Uruguay's amount of goals so im still suspicious about that game especially since we where doing so well throughout the entire qualifiers including beating Colombia 2-0 in Bogota, im not making excuses but im just saying that game just didnt seem right, anywayz Paraguay is not in the comfortable position they where at the last qualifiers and im 100% there wont be another 4-0 , that last game in Asuncion could be brutal

17. bolso4

bolso4 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I completely agree. Actually I can see Paraguay beating Colombia comfortably this time.

(I have 1 question. Do you have to pay to get an avatar here? )

18. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    I see what you're saying but I cannot imagine Brazil losing to Venezuela in Brazil even with a C team in a game that means nothing to Brazil. The fans would crucify the players that lose to Venezuela at home. There is way too much pride for that.

Is everyone taking crazy pills? :)

19. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    yes only 14.99

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/subscriptions.php

20. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    not sure about comfortably.. should be a close and physical game.. i expect alot of cards in that game.

21. magia

magia New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Asuncion
    wow Latin Pride what happen with the paraguayan team in your avatar? :eek:

22. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    TO MR. LATIN PRIDE..INCLUDING THE NEW URUGUAYAN IN THIS THREAD:

Don't you think that if there was something fishy in that last game between Paraguay vs COlombia, then Colombia would have won by FIVE F*in goals. Four goals would ONLY work if Argentina would win. Don't you get it, they knew going in , that FIVE goals were needed to secure the spot, especially knowing the Uruguayn NT didn't really have enough talent to make it on their own merit, and that they would sign their souls away and open up their baloon knots to the Argentines...unbelieveable. :rolleyes:

23. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

you're going to be embarrased in your own home! See ya!

24. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    VOTERS HAVE come to use common ssense over the weekend?

please keep Paolo Montero and olivera (el pollo) on a Leash for the gmae!

25. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    For the most part. I can understand Colombia and Uruguay--but for Venezuela to still be in the lead, that's just baffling. They need too much to go right for them in order for that to happen.