Who will advance from Group C

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by JPA3:16, Feb 14, 2010.

?

Which 2 teams will advance?

Poll closed Jun 22, 2010.
  1. England

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. USA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Algeria

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Slovenia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BobG

BobG New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Re: Possible Deadlock?

They draw lots. Best artist wins? Or is it cumulative with every player having to draw a lot?

2. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.

I vote for a shootout using the same goalkeepers that participated in the previous head-to-head matchup.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Any set of draws where England outscores the U.S. by exactly 2 would end up with th drawing of lots.

4. starcade

starcade New Member

Apr 24, 2009

Just a quick note: Sounds like they combined the poll thread with the scenarios thread...

Scenarios, I believe, are on about page 11.

5. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As crazy as this WC has been, ANYTHING can happen on Wednesday but the craziest scenario...2-2 England v Slovenia draw + 0-0 USA-Algeria draw...just doesn't seem plausible IMO!!

Hoping the USA just focuses on the job at hand....JUST WIN, BABY!!!

6. Parel

Parel Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I understand why many people in this thread are advocating some sort of playoff match or shootout between England and the USA in the event of a group table deadlock, since it definitely seems preferable to the current system of drawing lots. However, having some sort of extra playoff match would in practice be very unrealistic. Think of the logistical and scheduling constraints for one thing. When and where would they play this match? How would they handle the ticketing etc? Are you saying that they should go through all this trouble just for a single 30-minute game (or even worse, a single penalty shootout)? Also bear in mind that after the last set of Group C games (Wednesday), there are only three days off before the R16 clash on Sunday. With any sort of extra playoff, the winning team would only have one or two days rest before the knockout phase.

The suggestion of fair play (yellow cards and red cards) being an additional tiebreaker is far easier to implement, and is definitely preferable to a lottery. I don't understand why FIFA refuse to add this (or for that matter anything else, even number of corners or so) rather than just drawing lots.

This is especially true since FIFA have already experienced a close shave in this sense. In WC 1990's Group F, Ireland and Holland were completely deadlocked, so a lottery had to determine who would finish second and third (Ireland won). At least in those days, it was possible for Holland to also proceed to the next round as third-placed team. But imagine how much worse it would be to have this lottery between England and USA, with the loser being eliminated outright!

In fact, in 1990, if Egypt had been awarded that late penalty against England, all four teams in the group would have been completely deadlocked (3 Draws, 2 Goals For, 2 Against), so they would have needed a four-way lottery to determine all spots in the group! Needless to say that would have been a catastrophe. And yeah, as FIFA were no doubt sweating during the late phases of England-Egypt back then, you'd think they'd take steps to ensure that such a disaster could never come close to happening again!

7. That Guy

That Guy Member

Mar 28, 2009
    entered is is too short...

8. Typhaon

Typhaon Member

Nov 2, 2009
    In no way, shape, or form does a draw benefit Algeria... so I don't see a lot of chance for this unless the US ties it up very late.

9. Wolfie65

Wolfie65 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I also like the cage fight between managers.
    Mad Max style: 2 men enter, 1 man leaves. (start chant....)

10. januk

januk New Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    1. Slovenia
    2. USA

GO GO Slovenia!!!

11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be easy to add another tiebreaker.... fewest cards? Possession % or passing completion %? There's got to be something that can be the tiebreaker, drawing of lots is ridiculous.

12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I understand what you mean but making possession % a tiebreaker would be pretty weak. I'd much prefer something like number of corners, or number of shots on goal or something.

13. GiorgioMoretti

GiorgioMoretti New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Udine
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1-England
    2-Algeria

Slovenia 0 - 3 England

Algeria 1 - 0 US of A

14. nw

nw Member

Nov 14, 2000

So if ALG and ENG are to lead 1-0 late in the match, we could see both USA and ALG go all out attack, that would be quite interesting to watch.

15. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

No keepers at either end.

16. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Group C Advancement Scenarios

Algeria would lose in double-1 scenario and only scored 3 more goals than Slovenia, then Slovenia goes through based on head to head.

17. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Group C Advancement Scenarios

I believe there are lots for first if they get the same amount of goals in this situation.

18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In practice, a lot of teams will try to build up numbers at the end of the match. For example, the team can attack on sides and try to get as many corners as possible. They can shoot anywhere toward the goal to build up "shots on goal". Some shots can hit 10 yards away from goal. As for procession, the last two defenders can pass at each other at the end of the game. There are a lot of things that a team can do to their numbers.

The fewest numbers of cards might seem dumb at first, but it is a number that a team cannot build up at the end of the game.

19. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    True, good point.

I'm all for cards then...especially since FIFA is all about "Fair Play" :rolleyes: