Who was...

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by tmas, Nov 24, 2003.

1. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    that United fan in the background during the Freddy interview at half-time of the Cup?

2. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United

Good question. I didn't see it on TV because I was at the game, but whoever it was apparently spooked a lot of people. After the match I asked a HDC employee to take a picture of my brother and me with the field in the background. He said, "Nope, I am not allowed to leave my post." He was standing in front of some door.

That seemed ludicrous, because it would have meant taking about 10 seconds to move about 10 steps. I joked, "Geez, who in the hell are you guarding?"

"Freddy's in there," he said. "And no one is getting by." I told him it would take like no time at all. He replied that he was under the strictest of instructions because people were really trying to get at Adu in the biggest way. It's like he was guarding the President.

Sure enough, as we saw a few minutes later, Freddy was in that particular skybox. And he was very, very secure.

3. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard he's had a security detail since before the YWC, so I'm not surprised he still has one.

4. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    I have no idea who that was. And normally I hate people who jump into the background when they realize there's a camera filming, but that guy was really cracking me up.... He did it once, ok, but then he reappeared with his cellphone to his ear, presumably saying something like "dude, hurry up..yeah...ABC...see me in the background???"

5. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    It was awesome, almost too awesome, I was wondering whether that was staged ahead of time just for effect. I mean, his DC United logo jacket showed up perfectly on TV. :D

Oh yeah, the Screaming Eagles behind the goal (sunshine in keepers' eyes goal) and wearing the jerseys really made me happy. It was very noticable ... as it should be!

-Digital