Who was U.S. MVP in the World Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by flanoverseas, Sep 1, 2002.

1. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Who would you say is the MVP?

Reyna - Captain, picked to the All World cup team

Freidel - Amazing at times, scary at times, 6 goals

Donovan - played all but 16 minutes, all over the field. Gave Portugal, Mexico and Germany something to remember

JOB - quietly, or not so quietly, the best U.S. player?

Sanneh - don't know where he pulled that performance out of, but...

2. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I think it was Donovan. His versatility, speed, defense, endurance. You name it, he was there for the US. Without him, we don't even beat Portugal, and Bruce can't change lineups anywhere near the way he did. The sum of his contributions is what made him the MVP, IMO

I love Claudio, but he didn't even play in the first game. The only reason he was all WC, was because he's probably the only player anyone who was voting knew. And Friedel stopped two penalty's but MVP?

To me it was LD's ability to play anywhere and everywhere that made him so important.

3. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth
    You actually have other players besides LD???
    It is Freidel bar none. How many PK did he save?? And if it wasn't for Agoos incompetancies, he would have an even better WC.

4. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    I would say John O'Brien. He was all over the place contributing to defense and offense.

5. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    it's funny because i was about to start this thread when I went into this forum, and then i saw it was here! Anyway, I would say JOB. Anyone know his age?

6. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth
    I believe he is 24 or 25. He was my second choice.

7. Aidaen

Aidaen Member

Aug 24, 2002
    East Lansing, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without Friedel, this team doesn't get out of the first round. Without question, the most valuable player - he more than made up for Agoos' play.

8. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Brad Friedel. Hands Down.

9. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    gotta go with friedel...

...ciao!

10. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    Tough choice, but I went with Sanneh. I know it's not the most popular choice, but the guy was amazing. He was a freakin wall, man. I only hope he's around at that form next go-round, although it seems a bit unlikely.

11. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'd have to go with Mathis. One goal and one assist in only two starts.

12. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    getting a little ridiculous on that one :), since that assist meant nothing

13. AminKor02

AminKor02 New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sanneh

glad to see that more people than just me thought this.

quiet, understated, underappreciated, but when you looked out on that field for defensive action, he was the man!

14. Siboney

Siboney New Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Sanneh is my choice also. His play was magnificent throughout. He should have been chosen as one of the FIFA tournament all-stars.

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Without Mathis' goal vs. Korea, we don't get out of the first round.

WORLD CUP 2002 ({G+A} per 90)

Mathis .882 (World Class)
    McBride .483
    Donovan .415

The only question is who was the second best player. Sanneh?

16. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Re: Sanneh

They're all so good but, I'll go with Tony Sanneh. I agree: totally underated and should have been selected to the WC All-Star list. I think in general for a defender to stand out is extremely hard, and that's why I pick him over Brad. Brad is definitely, without a doubt, my second pick. Really close race...........

17. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    JOB

1. Icebreaker goal against Portugal. (Right place Right time)
    2. Seeing eye "see the mohawk" assist against Korea.
    3. Hand of JOB against Blanco when it was only 1-0.
    4. Launched the counterattack by leading Lewis on Donovan's counterattack goal against Mexico.

Did not have a bad game in the World Cup. Defended well, held the ball well and helped the offense. MVP hands down.

18. boots15

boots15 New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    I want to go with Sanneh. However, I think it's too difficult to pick just one. All of the candidates you posted deserve that honor. But if I HAD to pick one, it would be Sanneh.

19. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although, I'm picking Brad, McBride deserves to be listed at least.........

20. boots15

boots15 New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    I was thinking that too. He didn't get near the attention he deserved.

21. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    The hand of JOB must surely count against him. He nearly out Agoosed Agoos for the bone-head play of the WC. Additionally, it added moral justification for Dallas' obscene non-call.

22. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    His play was mediocre overall. We shouldn't set out sights that low. Any competent striker should do no worse.

23. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted Sanneh, but JOB and Friedel are right there.

I can't vote for Donovan just because I feel that he squandered too many chances (game winner against Korea, he should have scored against Germany).

The reason I say Sanneh is that he was our best defender while also being an offensive force. His set up of McBride's goal against Portugal was awesome.

I really wish Beasley and Mathis would have had more opportunities to make a mark. I really think they were our two players most primed for stardom. An injury and whatever it was from Mathis took that away.

24. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    McBride did not play mediocre, that's silly. I have never liked his play, but the guy had a great world cup. It's not his fault Bruce kept trotting him out there until he couldn't play at 100%

As far as the other guys, you've convinced me on Sanneh and JOB.

Donovan could have done better, but what I think made him our MVP (probably co-MVP now) is that his ability to play anywhere on the field is what enabled Bruce to play the lineups he did, which ultimately led to defeating Portugal and Mexico.

25. asdf

asdf New Member

Mar 1, 1999