Who should Wolves new manager be?

Discussion in 'Wolverhampton Wanderers' started by Cascade2021, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Cascade2021

Cascade2021 New Member

So they finally did it and the reign of Wolves most successful manager for twenty years is consigned to the history books. Names being put forward for the vacancy include the likes of Micky Adams, Bobby Robson and even Gary Megson...

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Seems like a long list. Surely not all of these folks are in the running. For example, would Tianga or Houillier even think once let alone twice about taking up a job with Wolves? No offense intended by that one, either.

3. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Of course, Molineux Mix (The Express and Star message boards for Wolves) are running their own poll, and at this point, the vote looks like this:

Gordon Strachan- 23%
    Jean Tigana- 18%
    Stuart Baxter- 17%
    Gary Megson- 12%
    Bobby Robson- 7%
    George Graham- 6%
    Mickey Adams- 6%
    Mike Newell- 4%
    Paul Ince- 3%
    Stuart Gray- .9%

Personally, I'd like to see Stuart Baxter get a chance. He's been successful in Scandinavia, and right now is the coach for the South African national team. He's been a fan for a while, so he's familiar with the club.

I don't know about Megson, just for the fact that he had a lot of problems down the stretch with Albion.

Some of these names I really don't see panning out either. I don't think there's a chance of Vogts or Houllier coming here. Hoddle is a possibility.

There's really no horrible name on that list, or on the MM one either for that matter (though I'm not sure I'd drop this in Ince's lap as his first managerial job). My first choice would probably be Baxter, but I wouldn't mind a Strachan, or a Tigana, if he'd be willing to come.

4. Cascade2021

Cascade2021 New Member

I wasn't sure about the names on the list myself but these were just the names that have been cropping up in talks with friends and such. Tigana's name has come up alot and that he took over a Fulham side that had only recently been promoted from the 2nd Division suggests he might be interested although I agree its unlikely. I have a feeling myself it will be Megson.

5. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Stuart Baxter for me. He's been successful and his father played for Wolves. He's applied for the job twice before.

6. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    Moxey is a fan of Megson. He was at Stoke when Megson took over there, and had apparently been sniffing around him before we signed Jones.

Am intrigued by the Bobby Robson rumours.

7. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Megson will go to Southampton.

We'll probably get Bobby Robson although there are rumors of Houllier.

8. GitongaSimba

GitongaSimba New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    New York City
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We'll probably get Bobby Robson although there are rumors of Houllier.[/QUOTE]

I'm as much a fan of Sir Bobby as the next guy, but given that he's getting along in years, aren't Wolves better off with someone younger who can have a long(er) tenure?

9. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    On holiday? ;) You can argue that the Saints need a new manager all you want but they got Wigley right now. The spot isn't vacant. And with the easy schedule Southampton has this month, talk of Wigley gettin' the boot may finally be put to rest.

10. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Baxter all the way.

This would be a good time to leave South Africa as they are in the winter break portion (Bafana Bafana will not play again until the 27th of March, 2005) of African World Cup Qualifying, thus allowing the South Africans enough time to find a replacement and not leave the Qualifying campaign (currently they sit atop Group 2) in too much trouble.

Also, think of the pipeline this could open for Wolves in terms of acquiring new players, specifically African ones. Of course the only money I see them spending in the near future would be for today's match-minner Bischoff, whose loan from Man City is set to expire soon.

Maybe Baxter could be for South Africa what Terry Venables was and still is for Australia. DJ's recent history with Camara (in the end, his presence at Molineux was a negative), Okoronkwo (unfairly and stupidly let go after this season), and Olofinjana (though he has shown flashes, he still has yet to be consistently good this season) has been decidedly mixed. But things could have worked out for the best with all three (and in Olofinjana's case, of course, still can). And as for this season, DJ maybe could've kept his job, had he only had players take penalties in training once in awhile.

Adams, to me, makes sense. He, of all people, could actually handle the pressure of operating under the conditions he would have to if he took over at the Mol. He endured nothing but drama in his tenure at Leicester. He could probably deal with the fans' outrageous expectations, and his willingness to sign up out of contract players would actually appease fans and most certainly the board. Wolves have reinforced their reputation as big spenders, albeit to little effect, in the money they've spent this season for Olofinjana and Seol. I think the board, and the fans most probably, are tired of this approach. Fresh thinking on this front would be welcome.

The problem with hiring Adams would be that he presided over Wolves' greatest moment last season, but on that day, it all went wrong for him. I don't think it would fill people with confidence to have him in charge, and fans would be critical from the very start.

Baxter, on the other hand, is a guy who has been bandied about as a candidate for this job for years. It's time he gets it, I say.

Before I forget, well done to Stuart Gray. Good result today. Set-piece goal and a penalty. A penalty! Imagine that. A goal from the "corner quadrant" and from the spot! Who knows. If they keep winning under him, maybe he just gets the job. Works all the time. Look at Tom Fitzgerald.

11. mellon

mellon New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Liverpool
    I thought Don Goodman had an interesting view when it came to appointing a new manager, Gary Johnson of Yeovil, this is the sort of manager I think we need to bring in, in all fairness there is talks about the likes of Redknapp, Tigana or Sir Bobby who will only be interested if big money are available for their salaries.

So lets try to go the other way instead and try to recruit a upcoming manager who is very keen on proving his worth on the football chart and who would jump on the chance to take on Wolves.

What do you think?

12. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Former Romania coach Victor Piturca has applied. Probably because of Vio. Also Portugese coach Carlos Calvalhal has been talked about.

Bryan Robson has gone to the ********** thankfully.

Let's just hope we say no to Mickey Adams.

13. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mickey Adams in my opinion would be a very good choice....Megson would be a laugh :D

14. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Wolves caretaker manager Stuart Gray feels he is in 'pole position' for the job, as chairman Rick Hayward demands the Black Country side continue to pick up points under the former Southampton boss.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=237283&CPID=10&CLID=39&lid=&title=Gray:+I'm+in+pole+position

15. Cascade2021

Cascade2021 New Member

I'd be surprised if Gary Johnson was appointed. He dosn't have enough experience for the job and if Wolves were to get back to the Premier League, what kind of player could he attract? They need a manager with some sort of reputation but one who isn't going to break the bank. Stand up Victor Puturca (please!!)

16. Fireball_Dan

Fireball_Dan New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Palos Park, IL
    I thought it should be Ronnie Moore for the work he did at Rotherham. However, my vote would be for Gary Megson.

17. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    It's been reported this morning on BBC Radio 5, and in the Daily Mirror that terms have been aggreed for...

Sir Bobby Robson to come in as Wolves new manager, the deal (2 years/ £600,000, bonuses for promotion) supposedly to be finalized today with an announcement next week. However, this is still being denied by Jez Moxey on BBC Radio West Midlands.

Both the Mirror article and a BBC article on Moxey's denial claim that Stuart Baxter was the #1 choice to take over. The BBC article just mentions it, the Mirror claims that that deal fell through when Baxter's wife didn't want to come back to England.

Mirror Article: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnew...e=sir-bobby-new-boss-at-wolves-name_page.html

Moxey Denial: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wolverhampton_wanderers/4038875.stm

18. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    There's a story in the Midlands press that they're trying to get Redknapp and Smith in on some sort of job share. Redknapp is apparently not keen on relocating, and is not able to take on another job until next year due to the terms of his departure of Pompey. It is suggested that Smith would take full control until then, and once Redknapp was on board, Smith would run things during the early part of the week, reducing the amount of travelling that Harry would have to do. Sounds a bit fancyful to me.

I'd link to the story, but the URL is v long:

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/wolves/news/

19. AEK

AEK Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as you keep your paws off Ollie I will be happy!

20. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    I believe that he's said that he's not interested, so I think you're safe there. To quote Holloway himself: "I didn't go for an interview with Wolves and I don't want to go for one."

Everyone seems to be ruling themselves out of the running at the moment (Baxter, Robson, Holloway, Megson). Redknapp is keeping everyone in suspense. I can see Stuart Gray being in charge for some time yet.

21. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    And the winner is...

Glen Hoddle.

22. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    FOr the sake of Wolves, I hope Gray's tenure of sorts goes better than in the past.

23. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    It's just a six month contract. I wonder which party held out for that? If we get promoted then he'll leave for a "bigger" job, and if we don't then he'll get sacked. I don't know what to make of that.

He did ok for Swindon and Chelsea I guess - Southampton too, before doing a "McGhee" and buggering off to Spurs. I can't help feeling that we've taken on yet another manager with lots of baggage - just watch, we'll get Big Ron next!

24. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City