Who should replace Brian Kerr

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by IrishGary, Oct 13, 2005.

1. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    sorry billy ..i wasnt meant to be getting at you.
    ....but is fenlon really good enough?

i think o neill could be persuaded...fingers crossed

but if not......dave o leary..maybe (and im not happy with that one either!!)
    i will be honest its hard...but i think we need somone who has coached at a high level ...and as much as i would love to say it...the LOI aint that high

2. IrishGary

IrishGary New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Cork, Ireland
    when i started this poll i picked the choices on who i heard in with a shout. i think o neill has worked to long and hard building up his reputation at celtic and is in line for a big post eg man u when he comes back. personally Sanchez isnt a great manager, definitly not keane and i think people are only voting him because of his desire to be the best but he is not the right man. Fenlon is not experienced enough and i think any eircom league manager should not take the job as we would not move forward.
    i think its time for a REAL change. IMO it has to be a foreigner someone who will bring a new style to the irish side like Voller or Cruyff. maybe bobby robson?? :confused:

3. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    irish blarney...just curious
    is it Blarney Street United?

4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Agreed.

It would seem to fit his schedule fine.

6. IrishGary

IrishGary New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Cork, Ireland
    Blarney United, Blarney Street is in the city, they are 2 different teams

7. SebastianK

SebastianK Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Gents,

We need to be turned around, and in a Jiff!. We're still a bit above hiring a building coach like Bora or Troussier, so if we're gonna get over our hump and start kicking some major arse on the planet, we have only one true option!

Bring in Bill Parcells.

8. sporting-celtic

Jun 22, 1999
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    My vote is that Kerr stays, it seems that most of the players including Keano and Carr share that opinion. Kerr now has the experience which people originally claimed he lacked.

For once lets not be followers and go with the foreign trends and fire the coach. Lets keep an Irishman as our national team manager. Kerr will have learned from his mistakes and as Oscar said "Experience is the name people give to their mistakes"

9. sporting-celtic

Jun 22, 1999
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Shay Given on Kerr

Taken of soccernet.com

seems the players, retired and not, are behind Kerr. I find it interesting that some of the comments from Given draw reference to how the negative attitudes from fans and the media did play a part.

I guess the players were really over joyed by the reactions of our "loyal supporters."

Enough said,

10. Reverie

Reverie New Member

May 24, 2005
    And insanity is repeating the same experiment and expecting different results.
    Kerr is a proven failure in my book and not because he lacked experience. He lacked imagination, resourcefulness and worst of all lacked boldness. He was incapable of altering his game plan and could not cope with tactical reversals. Once battle commenced he became a stunned spectator like the rest of us. Look at his results, team selections and substitutions and make a case for retaining him. Nice man and all. He did his best but he should go away quietly and write his book .

11. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    Kerrs stays...are you insane

otto reghal was mentioned...that german guy in control of greece...that wouldnt be such a bad move

and as for the irish fans lack of support
    what about the cyprus game...15 000 irish fans spending their money to watch that trash...now thats real support
    the players let the fans down...only given applauded the fans...thats a disgrace

i think the team needs a clearout...bring in new blood...they cant be much worse than kilbane...morrison...doherty...o shea...harte...hell the whole team bar given

12. sporting-celtic

Jun 22, 1999
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

This is not club soccer, we have what we have, there is no real "new blood."
    We are the ROI with no real professional league, we get our players by hoping English clubs will develope enough Irish kids to make us competitive.

You know this, why talk like we are England, Brazil, France or Italy????

13. sporting-celtic

Jun 22, 1999
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

This is not club soccer, we have what we have, there is no real "new blood."
    We are the ROI with no real professional league, we get our players by hoping English clubs will develope enough Irish kids to make us competitive.

You know this, why talk like we are England, Brazil, France or Italy????

We need to keep Kerr.

14. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    yes i know this...but we need to "blood" the youngsters more often

S. Ireland plays 3 or more games for man city in the premiership yet hasnt played a game even for the under 21's. ..if kilbane can get agame then surely Ireland can get one
    K doyle hasnt played a game yet
    stephen elliot was only drafted in as a late replacement...we should have had him in much earlier
    there is rakes of young irish players doing there stuff ...why dont they get the odd game
    i would like to see Paddy mccarthy play
    also i would love to see the winger kearney from cork city get a game....he is magic

at least mccarthy tried out a lot of the youngsters

15. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I really think Kerr has to go.

On Saturday we kept hoofing up long balls, no short passing, dribbling. Just the long ball. Long balls to our vertically challenged forwards. We were playing Switzerland, not Brazil or Holland. Very poor tactics. The game was there for the taking but we never came close to scoring.

16. JoshDB

JoshDB New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Washington State
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose Mourinhoooooo

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Iw ould have no problem with that if we had a tall, skillful guy to nod it down to robbie, but BOTH OF OUR FORWARDS ARE SHORTER THAN 5' 10"

18. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  19. IrishGary

IrishGary New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Cork, Ireland
    yes kerrs gone. or as i liked to call him Kerr-mit the fraud and his band of muppets! :D the dark days are over. :)

20. Borruma

Borruma Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Dublin
    We should have given him to 2008, all the recent success in this country has gone to people's heads.

Anyways I think we'll spend about a month looking for a replacement, going through all the big names and we'll end up with someone like John Aldridge.

21. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    he had 2 chances..worst placing in over 20 years
    you know int football is easy...its not rocket science

i honestly wouldnt mind Aldo ! he did well with tranmere...and he would get the boys jeezed up

22. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The odds on both Aldridge and Brady have been slashed over night.

23. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  24. IrishGary

IrishGary New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Cork, Ireland
    what do gordon strachan and the titanic have in common?
    they both wished they never left southamton :D

25. Philo

Philo New Member

May 31, 2004
    Dublin
    Didn't O'Neill quit Celtic to look after his wife who was suffering from cancer? I can't see him returning to a higher pressure, lower paid job just because the bookies say so.