Who should Captain England

Discussion in 'England' started by timberley11, Nov 10, 2004.

1. SeeJay07

SeeJay07 New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    I think the craziness that would occur if Beckham was stripped of the captaincy is not worth the change. Becks should remain captain.

2. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Well said, I completely agree with all your points.

3. RooneySmithRonaldo

RooneySmithRonaldo New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    London, UK
    I would give Captaincy to Gerrard or Lampard, both are leading their teams to great things nowadays and would certainly lead better than Becks right now. He's in a slump, and deserves to stay on the team, but give others the chance to captain, and we'll see what we can do in 2006

4. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Stevie G!

Stevie G!

Radioactive Stevie G.

Revelian

5. Joel Goodson

Joel Goodson Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon there's only one captain for Engerland . . .

JT!

Gerrard disappears in matches like he's The Invisible Man

6. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I think Terry probally has to be in the 1st choice 11 before he can even be discused. ;)

7. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Starting 11 for today's qualifier:

England: Robinson; Neville, A Cole, Terry, Ferdinand; Beckham (capt), Lampard, J Cole, Gerrard; Rooney, Owen.

In these cases, and for the future - JT.

8. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think if u took his captaincy away, their could be two out comes: 1. He may actually wake up and play properly! or 2. It will knock the little confidence left in him, and goodbye career.

Either way i don't think he deserves to be captain, but i don't see any point in changing the captaincy, i think the cons will outweigh te pros.

If i had to choose, id choose Lampard or Terry. Gerrard is really wishy washy, one day he is sooooooo inspirational, while another he is as quiet as s#it. Campbell is never fit anyway.

9. manu11

manu11 New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Old Trafford
    Stevie G.

10. LTFC Atter

LTFC Atter New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Auckland
    A GOOD FORUM READ ..... some very interesting comments and remarks!

OFF his game at the moment but when you think that when he puts his mind to the game he can turn it around, shame he does not do it MORE OFTEN!

Too much of a risk to undermine the captancy at the moment.

We need a vocal, PHYSICAL grafter in the centre of the park that can lead by example.

FL is playing well at the moment as is SG and JT but I am afraid sven wont do anything unless Becks gets injured. I would still prefer to see him in the team and just take more responsibility and let his football do the talking ...... its been a while, unfortunatley for us.

WHO HAS THE BIGGEST GOB OUT OF THOSE 3 - Lamps?

Anyway, lets make a MASSIVE statement on Wed night (Thur am here)

;)

11. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, but he's a big pile of sh!te.

Revelian

12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Mate, you totally miss the dynamics of the situation which is that Terry is the senior pro (even though young) at Chelsea, whereas, even if he takes Sol's spot right now in the england line up, he is one of the juniors in the NT.

I've seen an example in cricket with NZ (and also england if memory serves me correctly) where a new face is brought in and made captain. It does not work, because Terry would lack authority over the senior players and would have his hands full holding down his position anyway.

13. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    This has got to be difficult for Becks to hear, especially coming from such a legend like Bestie...

14. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    What a fcukin joke, pot, kettle et al???

This bellend speaks as much sense as any alky :eek:

John Terry should captain England, he's already captain of a star-studded, cosmopolitan side - only problem is, he and Fishface look like they are on different planets :(

15. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "Mr Vaughan, if you don't stop laughing, I'll never get these sides sewn up again. "

16. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Having said that, Terry should not captain England as of yet. He won't even be playing once Sol is back.

17. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Are you sure? At the moment I'd take Rio and JT as my starting CB's for England right now whether Sol was fit or not. Also bear in mind that Sol seems to have discovered a knack for getting injured.

I'd stick with Rio and JT now and give them a proper chance to adapt to each other before Germany 06 - I just don't think Sol will be better than either of them next summer...

18. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nothing is ever entirely sure, of course. But given something as tendentially consistent as SGE's habit of sticking with players that have proven themselves in the past irrespective of other players' current claims to their position, I'd say the Sol and Rio partnership remains the one most likely to start any game where it's actually available.

19. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be honest I've got a feeling Sven will stick with Terry. He does love his favourites, but he wasn't shy about dumping Heskey for Rooney or Lampard into the middle in place of Scholes.

20. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Scholes retired. Rooney for Heskey is hardly a benchmark for deciding Sven isn't afraid of the tough decisions.

21. Eertamai

Eertamai New Member

Mar 16, 2005
    London
    Two points.

1. Sven has favourites, and you just can't deny it.

2. England are blessed with quite a few genuine contenders for captain who would all probably do the role well..

Barring injury, Beckham will be captain at Germany 2006, with Owen as vice captain. Terry will not make the team over a fully fit Campbell and Ferdinand. Those who say that Terry has been the best out of the three main centre backs this season are probably correct. I would just like to refer them back to point 1. Do you see why Terry probably can't be captain for a considerably long time?

Gerrard and Ferdinand and the real front runners for the job when Beckham looses it/gives it up. Certain players are just captains because of how they are. Ferdinand just waltzes into Man Utd, and a year later he is captain when Keane is rested. The same happened with him at the successfull Leeds team. He's the sort of player, players want as captain.

Gerrard is pretty much the same. He leads by example and inspires others around him. I know that Terry fills these criterea aswell, just re-read point number 1, thank you. :D

22. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    True enough - fecking annoying though :(

I've got a sneaking feeling that Terry may actually be the exception that proves the rule, especially if Terry continues to play the way he did on Saturday everytime he turns out in an England shirt...

23. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England

Defenders usually get better when they get older and as soon as sol is fit, sol should be straight back in the team, Are you telling me that rio and terry will be better than a fit sol campell next summer. Although sol is injury prone as of late.

24. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Yes - based on the comparative play this season when all players have been fit then Rio and JT have been better than Sol. Sol's lack of pace is really starting to cause him problems and he is making more errors than I ever remember from him