Who should be the new captain?

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Father Ted, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Now that Staunton is retired and Keano is no loner a part of the Ireland set up, who should be the new captain?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    A better question: Should the Notre Dame Leprechan be at the matches to lend support?

3. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Hammersmith, London
    ??? Explain please...

:D PP - Confused ROISC

4. Nigel_Sausagepump

Nigel_Sausagepump New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    UK
    A better question: Should the Notre Dame Leprechan be at the matches to lend support?

I've been told by a few irate 'fans' (mostly from Cork) that everyone who supported Ireland in Japan was a 'flag waving leprechaun' and not a 'true Irishman'.
    So, on that basis, no, we don't need the Notre Dame Leprechaun, we have tons of them already!

5. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Hammersmith, London
    Ahh, Cork, that hotbed of Irish ethnic and genetic purity! Of course, some call that kind of thing inbreeding... ;)

:D PP - London Irish Mongrels ROISC

6. Junior_Manc

Junior_Manc New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Manchester, England
    Though not from Cork, I have to agree that there were indeed a large number of muppets that were following Ireland in Japan. "Fans" more interested in who looked the more ridiculous or who had the largest inflatable than they were in the football that was going on in front of their eyes!!

7. Len_Brennan

Len_Brennan New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Ireland
    Matt Holland should be the captain, unless he goes to Aston Villa because that would suggest he is mad. If not him, I guess Shay Given is the man!

8. closey

closey New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    UK
    You want your International Captain to be respected world over, liked by the fans and team mates and have the ability to influence everyone on the pitch............Given has all that but the last fascet.....you have to question whether a goalkeeper is truly able to influence / g-up etc other team members being so detatched from the play.......

ok...so if you dont pick Given then you need to pick a player that will play most games and have all of the above........I would pick Holland but he might find that Kinsella-Healy might work out.......the only thing we can guarantee is that Breen will be picked by Mick and therefore even though he is not the best (turns like an oil tanker in dublin bay) he is vocal and an organiser/motivator.........

go on shoot me down

closey

9. Nigel_Sausagepump

Nigel_Sausagepump New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    UK
    If we can recapture the spirit we had during the WC, I'm not sure the position of captain is necessarily that vital.
    Keane as captain before the WC did make a huge difference as he was a hugely dominant figure and capable of lifting all those around him.
    I think we're a different team now, with no obvious leader. I think the captain is more likely to be a senior pro who the rest look up to as someone with experience rather than as a leader.
    To that end, I think Breen/Kenny C will take up the baton.

10. DAKCrew

DAKCrew New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Columbus, OH

A fan is a fan........ Right?

11. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Hammersmith, London
    I couldn't agree more...

:D PP - Come on Ireland!

12. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I've voted Holland but personally I'd give it to Morrison if it meant he'd finally get a game.......Maybe not but i'm along the right lines surley......

13. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    But whi not Carr or Finnan? Espically the latter reminds me so much of Dennis Irwin and would make a fine captain.

14. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Finnan suffers from the same problem as Holland - both of them have only been around for one campaign. I don't think either have reached 30 caps yet, so while they have the talent and class, they could do with a wee bit more experience before captaining the side. For Holland as well, a move to the Premiership might help - imagine a First Division captain in an otherwise Premiership team!

How did Given's name get into this?! I'm all for him as a player, and a person (I'm from Donegal, after all!), but his name never entered my head as a possible captain! One of the main criticisms of him a couple of years ago was that he didn't dominate his box as well as other keepers....he's got that sorted now, but still, you can see the point..

I'd got for Breen, with Cunningham a more than acceptable alternative. None of the midfield players are sure enough of their places to be given the armband.

15. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I don't like keepers as captains full stop really.

16. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    This guy? http://und.ocsn.com/trads/nd-m-fb-mas.html
    He's very popular at football games- what we Americans call football, that is. I guess the leprechauns are into affirmative action too.

I doubt they want any of these Leprechuans at the pitch. Especially that Boston fella. All his magic is gone since the old Boston Garden was torn down.
    http://www.capnwacky.com/stpats/lhos.html

17. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    The least likely there is Gary Kelly, presumeing Finnan is put left back he's behind Carr in the pecking order still and I hope wont be in right of mid field any more, I expect Reid or Delap to take that position.

18. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Me. I'm not remotely Irish so i should fit in :D.

19. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Hammersmith, London
    Hey Wishy Washy, here's one for you to really get your teeth into...

:D PP - Tear him apart...

20. 3rdSt.Jim

3rdSt.Jim New Member

May 16, 2001
    Higley, AZ
    It'll be Breen foir the time being, but I suspect by Euro 2004, we'll see a younger player taking the armband, possibly Finnan or even Duff.

I aslo agree with Slash/ED, we've got to see Morrison soon...

21. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Funny how someone who's team relies on an Irishman so much can say that :)

22. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    We don't rely on him that much :). Jansen, Dunn, Tugay, Cole and Yorke aren't that bad. Still, the team is more truely Irish than under Big Jack.

But McAteer...............why is he only any good for Ireland, and not for whichever club he's at ?.

You know I like Ireland really.

23. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Well he did win player of the year but anyway, the reason is at club level he get's played in all kinds of weird and wonderful positions, he isn't a right back by any stretch of the imagination.

24. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    I think it will be Kenny Cunningham. Had the job before. Is the safest pair of hands we have in defence and a good pro. Would be quite happy to see him wear the armband.

I voted for Mark Kinsella though, because that's who I'd like to see take it on.

For some reason, I do not want Matt Holland to get it. It might seem a strange thing to say, but he's far too cosy with the press boys. I'm not saying that Roy Keane's glacial treatment of the media was better. Its just that players should have a basic distrust of the media, because they always turn on you when the going gets tough and, as captain, Holland should be able to know when to say nought to them - the way Stan did.

For example, Holland was the one who really went for Keane in the papers during the Saipan affair and that makes me a little unsure of his temprement. The other senior players, no matter what they felt, kept their public comments on the matter much more toned down.

PS - Thats not a reflection on him as a player!

25. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Problem with Kinsella is with McPhail, Healy, Butler and co coming through will he keep his place? Worse for a defender, though, what with O'Brien, O'Shea and Doherty exceptional young talent, I reckon it should goto Carr or Finnan, Finnan may not have much caps but he's old enough and the type of captain I'd love.