Who is the next National Team manager...honestly.

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by wtf_SCOLARI!!, Feb 11, 2008.

1. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I think if Portugal does well this summer, Scolari will stay for the World cup but if it doesn't happen, who do you guy's honestly think has a shot at the position? My dream would be Queiroz at this moment and then have Mourinho come in for the 2012 Euro's.

2. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Humberto Coelho by far.

3. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]
    JOSE COUCEIRO

I can see it, FPF will hire him and Portugal will turn to crap. so please hold on to scolari for as long as possible!!!

4. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    you think the fpf is that stupid lol
    not only failed but failed Miserably with the u21 AND u 20 in consecutive tourny's...When I seen the u20 play new zealand and his name was announced i booed like a mudda-sucka

5. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Paulo Bento. Just kidding.

Bring in a foreigner Benitez will be fired this summer, that Dutch coach is also a great candidate. With the money the FPF is paying, we have a lot of options. Just stay away from Portuguese coaches unless it's JM.

6. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    it's best to stay away from dutch and especially Spanish coaches with the rivalry and all.

7. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Honestly, this thread makes me sick. We've had this thread after the World Cup when there was a time to question things cuz Scolari's contract was coming up but now? NOW? After the Euro, fine makes sense and is warrented. But not now. We made it to the Semi's of the World Cup and people bitched, we qualified for the Euro and people bitch, we lose to Italy in a meaningless friendly and people bitch.

Ungrateful, spoiled, crybabies we have a tournament to focus on and I seriously question the knowledge of some posters. Why don't some of you take a coaching license? I'm sure you would field the best team with the best tactics every time. How about you people pay attention to games that actually mean something and please don't disguise this as a future reference thread this is pure and simple a "I hate Scolari" thread. I don't agree with a lot of what he does but guess what? He brings results and I can't argue a damn thing about that and thank God he is our coach and does what's right. I hope he stays with the team past 2010.

8. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Im pro-Scolari I hope he stays as long as he can, there is few who can do the job better.

like i said, when he goes FPF will hire some jackass like Couceiro and then everyong will say bring back scolari.

9. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007

I'm pro Scolari as well but he's been in charge now for 5 years.
    If he does go after the Euro, I'd like to see Portugal hire Marcello Lippi.
    He won the World Cup with Italy in 06 and won multiple Italian championships and Champion League trophies with Juventus. He's proven to be one of the best coaches in the world, he's a winner. He's currently not coaching anyone....think he would be a great choice.

10. bnrnortel

bnrnortel Member

Nov 18, 2004
    I question the motives behind this post...
    At the time that Scolari is relieved or relieves himself from the coaching position - there will be an analysis of the situation. At that time the coaching selection will depend a great deal on the players that will make up the team, the tournament that Portugal will be qualifying for and the leader of the FPF.

My question to anyone willing to answer it - are we really that bad that we need to be looking for another coach?
    -Euro 2000 Qarter finalists... (With undoubtably the greatest Portuguese team to even walk onto the green)
    -WC 2002 - what an embarrassment with a team equivalent if not better than the current teams (Remember this team won hardware prior to this)
    -Euro 2004 Finalists...
    -WC 2006 - Quarter finalists...
    -Euro 2008 - qualified

Are we really that bad?
    Is he really that bad of a coach?

I will say that I don't agree with some of his options and tactics - but he keeps the team rolling along. In fact - I think that as of late he has succumbed to the pressures of playing this guy and that guy and has not spent his time concentrating on the team and teambuilding and making the cogs on the team fit together as they should.
    There have been many a posts here saying that it was JM team that took us far in the Euro2004. Agreed - the unit gelled pretty well and that is understandable. But the JM team only took us so far! And all the posts of late also indicate that these guys don't play on the same team (in fact they don't even play in the same league) and yet Scolari has to bring them all together to be one cohessive unit. That is not easy task.

We seem so ungrateful and are not willing to support our own. By himself this man has put Portuguese pride back into soccer. And on top of that he has to live with the Teams reputation of both Euro2000 and WC2002.
    How many of you would take that job with the reputaiton that it has?
    When was the last time - before him - that we feverishly waves our colours in public?

So I say to Scolari...
    Go to England (where most of your players play in the EPL and many of them on the same team)... Wait he can't they didn't make it to the Euro.
    Go to Spain (where most of the the players play in the Liga and many of them on the same team)... Wait they suffered through qualification just like Portugal.
    Go to Italy (where most of the the players play in the and many of them on the same team)... Wait if it wasn't for Scotland screwing up - it was either them or France that would have missed the Euro.

A string of good success - and us Portuguese want to complain. Shame on you!
    Forca Portugal!

Who is the next National Team manager...honestly.
    Let us cross that bridge when we come to it... Honestly.
    We have a Euro to win... Honestly.

11. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    euro 2000 was semi finals.

and I dont catch what you mean by the WC 2002 team winning hardware? Portugal hasnt won anything except the legendary 1995 skydome cup.

12. bnrnortel

bnrnortel Member

Nov 18, 2004
    If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong)... The team that took the field in 2000 and 2002 was made up mostly of the Junior team that did win some hardware.

13. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    In the qualification for WC 2002 when Scolari was in charge of Brazil he used no less than 40 players before deciding on the final roster, and Brazil finished 4th in qualification. They had a horrible run and people were calling for his head and he did things in spite and picked players HE thought would benefit the team (he even left out the old, legendary Romario who was on fire after everyone and their brother wanted him picked for the team in case Ronaldo to a shit again like in France).

Anyway, Brazil cruised to an easy 5th WC title without breaking a sweat! the man has been in the game for a long time and has dealt with world class players day in and day out. He needs to test players constantly in order to integrate them into the team or as a successor to someone. things don't always work out, but the man is the most successful coach in our teams history.

Some say it was JM's team that got us deep into Euro 04 so that being said it was JM's team that lost it in the finals.

Scolari brought us the the WC semi and instilled a fighting spirit which we have severly lacked and now all we need is a bonified goal scorer which sadly we don't have and I don't think Scolari can develop one...it's not his job. He has to play the cards he's been dealt and so far, it has worked.

14. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    I dont like Scolari, he is good coach but didn´t add nothing to our game, we reached a final but lost(i would rather lose in the semi final...) and then a semifinal in the WC playing like sh*t the entire tournament, we simply got lucky...

During the Euro 2000, we played amazing football with a portuguese coach, and furing the qualification to wc2002 we were great attacking team, in a group were a great Dutch team didn´t qualified, we simply colapsed in the group stage, mostly because of the game against USA, but in that WC Argentina, France and others failed.

If we can win the Euro 2008 or even get to the semi final Scolari probably will stay until 2010, if we won he will leave, the same will happen if we stay in the group stage or quarter finals.

I would like to have a portuguese coach, Mourinho would be the obvious choice but won´t happen, so we need someone used to work with big players and big egos, or someone with a great past in Portuguese football, like Humberto Coelho was in 1998/2000.
    Carlos Queiroz is a possibility, Jesualdo Ferreira if he can have another good year would be a strong possibility, plus he had good years with the youth Nt´s like Queiroz.

15. O_Glorioso

O_Glorioso New Member

Dec 18, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Alright, let's clarify something, Portugal made it to the Semis in both Euro 2000 and 2006 WC.

As far as a new manager is concerned, I'm hoping Scolari stays on board for another tournament. If not, I pray we get someone like Mourinho. I wouldn't mind seeing Queiroz take another shot, but Jesualdo Ferreira would be a disaster. I know people hold him highly, but I'm not convinced despite what he's accomplished with Porto lately.

16. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    bnortel do you even know what you're talking about?

euro 2000 we reached semi-finals...honestly

wc 2002 team won hardware? What like 3 out of the 22 won a youth championship in the 80's not even 1/5 of the team...honestly

wc 2006 this was just a couple years ago lol we reached the semi's...yeah honestly.

17. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    For all of you saying it was also Mourinho's team that lost the final and semi's that is correct only to a point mind you. You see a real coach such as Mourinho would've been able to change his gameplan according to what was happening in those two games unlike Scolari who tried the same thing all game long.

18. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I really don't understand what more could have been asked for in the Eruo 04 tournament! We were ALL OVER Greece, using the best players we had that got us to that point! We could not score a single goal using all of Mourinho's players. Greece had 11 men playing defense and all it took was a dead ball situation to get one shot and one goal!

So at what point do you think it was Scolari's genius that got us to the finals, since at some point he lost it for us in the finals.

He subs in Gomes to score against Spain and removes Figo for Postiga who scores the tying goal against England.

So it was Mourinho's great team that brought us to the finals, but it was Scolari that lost it for us even while using Mourinho's GREAT team? It seems llike some will try everything to discredit him

19. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    to be honest , I always liked Scolari's subbing and to say we were all over Greece means nothing when you can't penetrate the defense... I mean that was the Greek gameplan , to give us the possesion. And that goal could partially be Scolari's fault for choosing Ricardo who is clearly the worst keeper I have seen on corner's. It was so easy to see that we had to go through the flanks in that game but all he did was try to go through the middle which is something that clearlt didn't work with a tight man marking system. Watch the game again and see what I'm talking about, there was absolutly no wing play, balls driven into the box...horrible coaching.

20. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    It wasn't mourinho's goalkeeper that was completely out of position on the corner kick.

Edit: One thing that bothered me about the semi final vs France was, we went down 1-0 early in the game and were putting pressure on them all game. After a ton of pressure we still couldn't get the goal and I thought we should have put a second striker on for a defender. I think it would've been great to have our normal lineup with a second striker. Miguel was doing great going forward but the oppurtunity came up with his injury and instead he brought on fereira which frustrated the hell out of me because we needed someone to come in and spark our offence or an extra player for the defenders to handle. Of course the game ended without a goal and our only good chance was figo's header over the bar.

21. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto

Mourinho's players couldn't get the job done. Even after we put another one of his players in.

Why was the greek player so wide open? who was covering him? It's not the keepers job to cover the players! Ricardo saved our asses numerous times. He makes mistakes to, just like every other player on the field that makes a horrible pass on a 2 on 1, or is called for a handball in the box or misses a clear header in the box, or scores an own goal or heads a bal into the path of the opposition for a goal or misses a pk! Coaching won't eliminate human error

Anyway, Scolari's record speaks for itself. ppl bich about not beatin Italy, well, we haven't done so in 30 yrs! Ppl bitch about not beating France, we haven't done so in almost a generation. the man knows what he is doing

22. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Exactly.

Losing 1-0 to united at the dragao he subbed on subs at the 30th minute and porto smashed united the rest of the game, won 2-1, and it should have been by alot more.

Jankauskus was put on as a sub and was simply a massive beast that game along with Deco and carlos alberto.

Remember when they smashed Lazio 4-1 when lazio were still top 4 in italy?

losing 1-0 in the opening minutes, and mourinho switched formation once more and then Postiga scored a hattrick: I believe:D

23. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    anyone who has watched Ricardo play for Portugal on a regular basis knows this guy doesn't belong on any national team..it's not a big deal if you make a mistake now and then but this guy costs us big time time and time again, it's ridiculous. You can't blame Ricardo cuz he is what he is, who you can blame is the coach for constantly putting that frangeiro in net.

24. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    it's hard to explain what a genious Mourinho is for those who never watched games he coached...undescribable the way he reads the game.

25. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    what happened in 2002 was a fluke, so many of our top players injured nowhere near top fitness..hes stubborness to go with the old players even if most of them werent in shape.

i just wish the team that smashed Holland 2-0 in Amsterdam and tied scolaris brazil 1-1 but played superbly had a chance to play in that world cup..what could have been.

Whats happening now is exactly whats happening the year leading up to Euro 2004.

Poor results and a air of doom and gloom. Will we turn it around in the Euros?