Who Is The Greatest Dribbler Ever

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dearman, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

The Greatest Dribbler Ever

1. Garrincha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maradona

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. George Best

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ronaldo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Messi

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Impossible to know

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Nothing really special here.

Is this a fact or an opinion that Maradona played against zero players? It's clear that class of 99% Spanish league defenders is very poor.

2. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    present Spanish defenders*
    And the fact that no Spanish team except Barcelona wasn't good enough to get to the CL final in the last years says that Messi plays in relatively easy league. To compare this guy with Maradona he should show his abilities in the hardest league, in Italian league. Messi was probably at his best in dribbling in the spring of 2010 when he played greatly against Arsenal(4-1) , but was completely shut down by Inter Milan. Another proof showing that is Ronaldo who scored 47 goals in 1996/97 in Spain, but 34 in Italy. Also past hard injuries and fat Ronaldo playing for Real Madrid was easily scoring his 30 goals per season by walking on the pitch.

Level of difficulty : Italian league >>>>>>Spanish league

That's why Maradona is considered by many greater than Messi.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #1228 Bada Bing, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    Because Messi carried Barca to La Liga, Messi gets injured and Barca has no chance against Bayern. No logic in there. :laugh:

This should be like sticky post or something, it squashes so many myths at the same time.

[​IMG]

Messi has now had 2 seasons of carrying his team, like which Maradona had once in Napoli, in relation to opposition, teams and players.

4. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Messi so called injury has nothing to do with the result. Messi was healthy when Barcelona lost 1-3 to Real Madrid, and Bayern in that season was waaaaay stronger than Madrid. Bayern of the last season was one of the physically strongest team ever.

Your stats have no value, it's like saying that Bican and Romario are 2 greatest goalscorers because in official matches they scored more than anyone in the history. However Bican played in Austrian league which wasn't the best at the time. The same with Messi , put him in Italian league in his stats will easily decrease in 2 times.

Pipiolo repped this.
  5. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So 1 player can't win every game there is? I guess that's why we don't have careers with like 20 league and 20 continental championships. Could be wrong though. :D

6. riflex

riflex Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan

This is absolutely not true, the weight of the ball hasn't changed since 1937 when it was established to be between 14-16 oz.

7. riflex

riflex Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Even Messi did big goals in big events. (goal vs Real Madrid)

Messi have more solo goals than Maradona.

Some dribbling of Maradona end in nothing, he don't score (so also is the case of Ronaldo).

On the contrary it is very rare that Messi after dribbled many players do not score.

Messi is the most effective dribbler ever, Maradona can be considered better, only because he had the best performance in the world cup. I think that things will change after this summer (Maradona of 1982 was not better than Messi in 2010 and had a better team)

Like a pure dribbling skill. Messi>Maradona for me, although I think it's a question of feelings

8. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why was the argentine championship a small league? whats the measure? it had teams that dominated continental competition (indipendiente, argentinos juniors), world class atttacking players such as maradona, bochini, kempes (spread out in different teams), the defence was class (it had less goals per game scored than the current la liga and probably the brasiliero during peles time), it was highly competitive (boca only won the metroplitano right at the end thanks to a great assist by maradona).

Imo 1981 was one of maradonas best seasons. Statistically speaking, in addition to his 28 goals he had at least 16/17 (depending on criteria) assists, and there are about 12 other goals boca scored that i cant find which maradona might have assisted). If we knock those 12 off, boca scored 79, maradona was directly responsible (in a goals + assists metric) for 45 of them meaning boca were "dependent" on him for 57% of the goals. Thats also from 40 games he played. I dont find that to be conclusive of anything in particular, but i know some people love this stuff.

Besides that he seemed to be in great form that year, physically and technically at the top of his game. A lot of his goals and assists were also very impressive to look at. Though i might be wrong as i havent seen a report or the team sheet, he appeared to be absent when boca were knocked out of the nacional championship.

Jaweirdo and Zlatko2010 repped this.
  9. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    My point was that football is the game where even another model of boots radically influence player's game. Even if it was just a little bit heavier football already was a little bit another game compared to modern football. It's clear that ball covering is dramatically changed compared to the old ones, now it's easier to dribble , to achieve some strange curves like C.Ronaldo does at free kicks. But with the old balls I think it was easier to find the accuracy when shooting. :thumbsup:

10. riflex

riflex Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan

Ronaldo was a second striker in italy, in Barca was the first striker.

Barca 96/97>>one of most mediocre Inter ever (97/98)

Messi destroyed the Italian teams, and would not have found many difficulties to adapt in Serie A.

11. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    When Maradona was playing it was much harder to score because players were tackling you like crazy, and for that the most that they could have was yellow card. In modern football defenders are much more careful , they don't face Messi even half as ruthlessly as they did with Maradona. Also look at at the 60% of Bada Bing's gifs where Messi fails to score after a dribble;)

Why do you think that things will change this summer? Messi is playing pretty averagely for already 2 years, and teams like Brazil and Germany are extremely strong now. Also I bet that Italy also would win against Argentina if they face. With declining Spain and Portugal chances are 50/50. France and England also can show some dominant football when it's needed.

12. riflex

riflex Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The point is that it is adapted Ronaldo, I do not see the reason, that Messi, better player than Ronaldo, and with similar characteristics(speed, control, dribbling etc.) could not adapt.

13. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Thanks for a laugh buddy, the only team that Messi can destroy is current Milan that declined so much at least compared to his 2007 level that it's not even funny.

Mourinho's Inter Milan completely owned Messi, 0 goals in 3 meetings, I quess that says enough. Also I dunno how would Messi perform now against Juventus that is clearly the best Italian team at the moment.

14. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Adapted? Yes, but only for one season. Ronaldo lost his career because of Italian league, I bet that Messi wouldn't be even close successful there compared to playing in Spain, and quite possibly he would have got lots of injuries. Also, Ronaldo till 21 years old was way better than Messi till 21 years old. The guy already won D'or being 20 years old, and was owning the likes of Alexandre Nesta at his best years, Messi struggled against old Nesta:D

15. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi pwned the whole Milan, including Nesta.

16. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Without Maradona, Argentina goes out to Uruguay in WC86 and Brazil in WC90. Even if somehow they had managed to survive these encounters, no way do they beat England and Yugoslavia respectively without him.

17. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah, he was good in his every 5th dribble :D But still Milan in the last years is very poor, unfortunately Messi wasn't good enough to do something useful against better Italian team - Inter Milan.

18. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Right, England was very strong at the times, without Maradona it was 70/30 chances for England

19. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    3+3, and part of every 7 goals, yellows for Nesta, MoM 3/4 in those games. Yeah, he was awful. So now that your lie didn't work, you jump onto next argument. Haven't seen this before. :D

20. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Without Coycochea Maradona goes out against Yugoslavia and Italy.

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Goycoechea was obviously important, but your argument implies that on every pk shootout the winning goalie is the saviour and MOTM, which is inaccurate and quite simplistic.

22. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    You better count the number of successful dribbles and compare to the number of the whole attempts:D Still waiting for Messi's stats against Inter Milan:D

23. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You can check them from OPTA.

In the mean time can you provide Ronaldo's statistics in his best season against even likes

Oviedo, Espanyol, Tenerife, Sevilla, A.Madrid, Bilbao, R.Madrid, Celta, Deportivo, Espanyol, Racing, Sociedad, Tenerife, Logrones, Hercules, Betis and Rayo? :D

leadleader repped this.
  24. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    To say that Maradona's WC 1982 performance was worser than MEssi's 2010 is simply ignorant. Maradona faced the most spectacular Brazilian team ever and as many say one of the greatest to never win a WC. Also Maradona faced the strongest Italy of all time that became a WC champions. And in both matches it was quite close, if the referee would have deleted dirty Gentile Argentina could have won that match and being inspired they could have beaten Brazil. Messi's Argentina was badly destroyed by the Germany, and Germany was quite easily beaten by Spain. No way that Germany 2010 was at least equal to Italy and Brazil in 1982.

Pipiolo repped this.
  25. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi WC10 > is every Maradona World Cup bar WC86. Analyzed it multiple times.