Who is the best RB in the world

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by rockymtn_mike, Jan 2, 2006.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I thought he hit 30 this year, no? If so, I take that back.

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    He got Fabregas and the ball at almost exactly the same time, even having watched the replays over and over, it was far from obvious. I would have given him the benefit of the doubt.

3. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    even if that was the case, he still wouldnt be "over 30" now would he. anyway, hell be 30 in 2007.

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Your arguments is based soley on Sagnol's caps for France (which is absolutely irrelevant to the topic at hand) and your conviction of it.
    Rothen hasn''t been "wretched", he was just part of an underachieving PSG team, he was still one of the standout players for the team and in Ligue 1. He's been one of France's best players since his Monaco days, that is quite some time now. And Guily is better than Micoud, however he hasn't played in Zidane's position since the 2003 Confed Cup, and with the few caps that he gets he spends it on the right wing as of late. Micoud is soley used in Zidane's role.
    I guess it just comes down to you having watched Sagnol for the past year, which I don't think you have. You keep sticking to the likes of Cafu and Zanetti who have been great but not nearly as compact as Sagnol has in the RB role.

5. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i actually agree with you on this. there are alot of great players who hasnt/dont get caps for different reasons. cantona was hated by french managers and was excluded constantly, but that doesnt mean he wasnt fantastic as well. i think french national team managers are a bit strange. no doubt sagnol is better then Zebina for example -- much better -- and still he gets chosen.

6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

And if indeed Sagnol goes to Juve he will prove there that he is the best RB, and with Zambrotta back on the left, Juventus would have the best fullback pairing in the world.

7. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    they already do with Zambrotta and Chiellini. but sagnol would make it even better ;)

8. jambon-beurre

jambon-beurre Member

Mar 12, 2005
    France
    Thuram was playing on the right until recently (the WC2002, I believe). That's why Sagnol hasn't got much caps, but he's a starter for France since quite a long time.

9. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    There isn't really a standout RB in the world right now, IMO. Zambrotta, Cafu, Sagnol, Ferreira, Zanetti, and Neville are all class, but they are about as different as players in the same position can be. Zambrotta, Cafu, and Zanetti are all great going forward, but defensively, the other three, due to their conservative natures, are superior, IMO. Salgado would've been a shout a few years ago as well, but Luxa destroyed his reputation by playing him as a wingback.

10. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    neville is better defensively then Zambrotta? did you get a lobotomy for christmas?

11. COBRA007

COBRA007 Red Card

Oct 14, 2005
    Geneva
    neville has been solid for man utd and england for 10 yrs, neville has proven to be defensively strong as anyone in that time period. nevile is in top 3 rightbacks of the last decade, so yes the stats show nevile is better defensivly

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    he didn't go through him... he clearly got the ball prior to contact with Cesc. Players make the same challenge without fouls being called all the time. In fact, iirc a United midfielder probably Giggs did the exact same thing a bit earlier in the game outside the box with the same end result, got ball, no foul.

13. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    bullshiit. you know about as much of the rules of the game as the ref that night. gettin the ball first does not mean its automatic theres no foul. if that wasnt a penalty i dont know what is.

14. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004

No, you know what Duck, you're right. Every Juventus player is superior in every facet of the game to every other player ever:rolleyes: It's not down to 1 vs 1 defending or anything like that, it's just that because Neville stays back more, he doesn't leave the position as open as someone like Zambrotta would on some occasions. Unless you can tell me that Zambrotta has never made the wrong decision on when to go forward, which I find hard to believe.

15. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I loathe Juventus, but I can tell you that Zambrotta is better
    defensively than Neville (and has been for about two and a half
    seasons).

Of course, that's hard to say, because Zambrotta was playing
    LB until very recently, but the point stands as regards comparing
    full-backs controlling their respective flanks.

Let me give you an idea of a typical Zambrotta performance at
    FB. When Juve came to the Stadio Olimpico this term, here's what
    he did: 1) completely shut down Roma's left-sided winger, Rodrigo
    Taddei; 2) completely shut down Roma's LB, Leandro Cufre; 3)
    poured forward menacingly on many occasions, notching two
    assists on crosses as Juve destroyed Roma, 4-1.

I read the Gazzetta dello Sport every week, and I can't remember
    Zambrotta getting less than a 6.5 on any given week, and a 6.5
    is exceptional by the Gazzetta's standards. When I heard that we
    were going to swap Cassano for Zambrotta (a rumor that came to
    nothing) I was ecstatic, because he's just that valuable of a player.
    And he never causes his teams the slightest problem.

Really, I can't think of a team that wouldn't start Zambrotta as
    either LB or RB on pure quality. Chelsea wanted him before they
    bought Del Horno; he'd definitely start at Barca or Lyon, he'd put
    Serginho or Kaladzhe on the bench at Milan, at Inter he'd easily
    displace Favalli; at Madrid he'd be ahead of Salgado or Carlos,
    and at Man U. I think because Neville is now captain, he'd find
    room at LB (is that O'Shea now?). That's the kind of versatality
    we're talking about--on threads asking for world's best LB, he is
    always mentioned along with Cole or Heinze. And now he's playing
    RB at the same level. He's played CB for Italy, too.

16. DemmahoM

DemmahoM Member

Apr 1, 2005
    New Haven CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Rothen is 28 I really wouldn't call that young.

Honestly I think Sagnol IS when of the best in the world, whether he is THE best is another matter..

17. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004

He's also been playing alongside a great defensive partnership, which helps to cover any errors he makes (which I'm sure he does), whereas Neville has played, this season at least, alongside an inconsistent Ferdinand and the error-prone Silvestre(who has been fairly solid this season, oddly enough). Neville rarely has a poor game for club or country, his positioning is excellent and he rarely gets beaten in 1 v 1 situations. He's maybe in the downswing of his career nowadays, but he is still a great defensive player. Overall, I'd give Zambrotta the nod for his ability going forward, his versatility and his defensive ability, but I think it's hard to say (about any RB) that they are better defensively than Gary Neville.

18. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

I thought he was a left back.

19. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    yeah, hes been playing right-back lately though. hes the worlds best at either position anyway.

20. FCBblaze

FCBblaze New Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Zanetti, hands down, looks like a lot of you concur, but I was kind of sad that no one said anything at all about Finnan, not that I would choose him; but he deserves some recognition. After all Liverpool did win the the ECL and played against Sao Paolo for the World Championship.

21. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's definitely not "hands down" to Zanetti. Zambrotta can
    do anything than Zanetti can do. They are on about the same
    level in my book.

22. forzaitalia06