Who is the best forward in this world

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by liu shi, Sep 21, 2009.

1. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Considering he's in a foreign country on a new team with a questionable tactical setup not decided by the coach, 3 in 6 isn't outstanding, but it's also nothing to use against Benzema. If he fails to perform next season, then we have an argument.

2. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    i think jozy altidore, although is not the best right now, will in the next 5 to 10 years be the best striker in the game.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Agree with this. But he's not in the run for Top Scorer at this point. If anything I hope he starts scoring again because we need him in Madrid and with Les Bleus.

Jozy needs to start playing more than the last 15 minutes of a game. As is, loaned here and there and seldom used, he's already mediocre. IMO he'd do better playing full games in the MSL.

4. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Let me take a wild guess, you're american!

5. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    how can you say he's mediocre? he's the most physically gifted player in the game. he's got great skill and can score. it is phil browns fault. he's an international star for the USMNT and has proven that he dominates in the international game.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Oh with the USMNT it's different. He's the best US forward right now, with Deuce playing right side attacking mid and not forward any more.

But in club play, he's mediocre.

7. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    You have a very interesting interpretation of the question. It makes it hard for me to argue with you as I don't know anything about Santiago Silva other than the fact that he has scored 18 goals in 26 appearances for Banfield this season. It's an impressive tally of goals. Do you how many assists he has for Banfield this season? Is he captain?

I ask because what I do know is that Luis Suarez is Ajax captain, has scored 15 goals and assisted on 4 goals in 11 league appearances this season. Without him Ajax would be an average team.

I think it's within the realm of reason to argue that Suarez has a bigger impact for Ajax than Silva has for Banfield, but I don't know enough about Silva to be sure. I would even argue that there are probably many more examples of players who are more important to their club but I am just going off my own experience and what I know.

8. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    phil brown needs to give him more time in games... then he would score more. it's fairly simple. i don't know why you're not understanding...

9. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Jozy will be at the most an OK forward used to hold up the ball.

10. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    how do you know? are a soccer expert? what do you know about the game???

11. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Yes I am, I don't even take calls from Arrigo Sacchi and Scolari. In fact, they scour my postings on BS to learn tactics.

1 person likes this.
  12. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    whats there to understand? show me concrete proof that altidore excels at a club level that is respectable, and then you have a debate. Until then, stop being so american biased.

13. KyleS8

KyleS8 Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So true, only people that follow the Primera División Argentina can be qualified as "actual football fans".:rolleyes:

14. KyleS8

KyleS8 Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's what American soccer fans do, they can't help it.

15. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'm generally confused about the point this guy is trying to make about Santiago Silva. I think he's a bit sore about Euro snobbery and just failing at trying to make a point about it.

16. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    That's fine and all but it doesn't change the fact that he's looked average. How can that be news to you if you've actually watched him play? Yeah he probably needs more time to adapt to the league but right now he isn't producing up to his 40m euro price tag.

17. KyleS8

KyleS8 Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pellegrini didn't even want him. It was Perez that pushed for the move just so he could buy another "Galactico".

Pellegrini didn't want him because he didn't think Benzema would work out well at Madrid and the way Benzema is playing Pellegrini is proving to be right.

Benzema was not ready for a move of this magnitude yet and wasn't even planning on leaving Lyon until after the World Cup. Perez wanted a big name signing so he made Benzema an offer he couldn't refuse. Perez took advantage of Benzema. I just hope it doesn't have a major negative impact on Karim's career.

18. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Plus they have Higuain who was their top scorer last season. For whatever reason Benzema, who's not even proven in the league, managed to bench Higuain no questions asked. Of course Raul is also starting since they'll probably fire Pellegrini if he benches him.

They also sold Robben who would have given them even more options.

Just more in a long line of stupid decisions by the Madrid management.

19. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He has a bright future if Bayenr stops buying so many fwds/strikers.

20. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    dont get me wrong i think altidore can be amazing if he gets first team experience.

21. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

lol

22. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    American biased fans ARE quite laughable aren't they?

Not saying I don't rate landycakes or in time altidore, though.

23. KyleS8

KyleS8 Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    American fans being biased? Pfft! Impossible! They speak the truth!;)

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, 90% of the people here only seem to know/care about the three top euro leagues and know nothing about anything else.

Basically, they only know about that which has the most media coverage, like a casual observer.

25. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You really can't compare Cvitanich to Suarez as they are two distinctly different players. Dario is more in the mold of a pure #9 while Suarez is a wing/forward and very comfortable dropping into a support role. Regardless of who's better b/w the two, you cannot deny that both score at a nice clip and compliment each other very well.

I think Silva is a very talented player but I too thought his inclusion was a bit of a stretch in the context of this thread even if he does lead La Primera in scoring. As far as Silva not being on Uruguay's radar, not really a surprise to be honest. Before 2 or 3 years ago Silva never had a big scoring term plus with the aforementioned Suarez taking up one spot and Forlan the other.....like I said, no surprise though that could change if Uruguay qualifies through the playoff and he keeps putting them away.

Definitely agree on this opinion.

The big difference b/w the two is that Dario has always been seen as a serviceable striker at best while Suarez is considered the best Uruguayan of his generation. I would hope Suarez is the better player by virtue of receiving that accolade.

Most players go missing at times. Look at Suarez against Argentina in the last qualifier, most people didn't even know he was on the pitch. As far as Dario rising up against more average competition, isn't that pretty much the entire Dutch league? The Eredivise certainly isn't what it once was.

I agree with you, leading La Primera in scoring doesn't guarantee you best in the world status but nether does playing at Ajax these days. Silva is a good player but you have to keep in mind he does play in a better defensive league.

Being captain is not entirely relevant to this thread. Being your sides captain isn't about your being the best player on your team, it's about the example you set on the pitch in games and practice as well as in the locker room.

Again his being captain while an honor is but a side note to what type of forward he is. I rate the kid highly but I keep things in perspective when you look at who he scores his goals against. Without him sure Ajax would be a lesser side.

I don't question Suarez's impact on Ajax, but what Silva is doing with a no name squad such as Banfield's really is impressive. He currently has them tied for third in the Apertura.

Better than Freddy Adu? Not a chance and not even close, Adu has a Sprite commercial, what's Jozy got besides a cool name?:rolleyes:

Like I said, it was definitely a stretch to include Silva in this thread but he has played very well over the past three years when you consider before that he was at best average. I'm not sure about his soreness about Euro snobbery, but are you acknowledging it exists?

1 person likes this.