Who is the best equipped to challenge chelsea in the coming years..

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Flash2, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
    I would have to say arsenal.

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I have never seen so many threads with the name Chelsea in them.

3. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
    Well they are pretty much centre of attention these days and making all the headlines

4. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say the usual suspects: Arse, Man Utd, Liverpool with the addition of Newcastle, ESPECIALLY if Shearer hangs around one more year. In this league, there exists a level of parity at the top of the table, with occasional incursions by teams like Blackburn ('93) and now Everton. With the possibility of injuries having an effect, it has never taken much of a blip for the title to be hotly contested.

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Man Utd have the better overall squad (compared to Arsenal) and with a better keeper they should be fine. You need to remember that Man Utd has missed two key players (Rio and Ruud) for large portions of the season. If it wasn't for that, then the gap would not be as great.

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Rio? Since when is 5 games "large portions" of the season? :confused:

7. The Rage

The Rage New Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Edmonton
    Not to mention the fact that our greatest offensve threat (Robben) has been injured for most of the season as well...

8. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how do you figure? Theres yet to be replacements for your aging midfield that Milan completely dominated, nor possibly any transfer budget this summer. And the whole well we were missing Ruud for a large portion of the season thing is getting tiresome. Chelsea has had many more injuries:Robben twice, Drogba at least twice, Parker, Carvalho, Bridge, Huth

9. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
    Arsenal and man utd have easily had the most injuries this season compared to chelsea, man utd had many missing at the start of the season and arsenal since the turn of the year, but i dont think you can really complain about injuries its just hard luck and you must deal with it, it doesnt really matter to chelsea due to their squad depth.

middlesborough and Liverpool have had the most bad luck with injuries this season.

10. Martyka21

Martyka21 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was gonna say...all u guys cryin about injuries...thank god someone said Liverpool. I've never seen injury reports so full!

11. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont really remember giggs, scholes, cronaldo, heinze, rooney, hack neville, getting hurt much....but its been a long season and I admit I could be wrong.

12. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
    Maybe not so much injuries for utd but at the start of the season i remember alot of players out for the chelsea game and two at the olympics.

13. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

again 1 or 2 games is not a big injury problem.

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    You mean the same game where we were missing Duff and Robben? ;)

15. Eertamai

Eertamai New Member

Mar 16, 2005
    London
    Please don't be silly. Robben has played a lot more games than RVN. Drogba can be easily replaced as he is no where near as good as all these new Chelsea supporters seem to think he is. Plus he had about 5 weeks out and that's it and was playing his usual nothingness anyway.

Parker? Hahahahahahah. There's times he doesn't even make the subs bench. Carvalho's had a couple of injuries but he's pretty much always been around. And Bridge only got injured 3 weeks ago. Huth? See Parker for an explanation.

Man Utd supporters may whinge a lot about RVN's absence, but if you fail to see the significance of it, they you show a lack of knowledge. Certain players cannot be replaced. Liverpool without Gerrard, Chelsea without Robben, Man Utd without RVN. They are not the same teams

16. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if a TEAM is going to bglame the standings on one injury, maybe that team is not good enough. The same team that its dellusional fans claimed to be playing as well as Chelsea now with RVN back, then went out and got dominated by Milan, and struggled against Palace and Fulham.

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Robben has started two more games than RvN, actually.

18. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    The obivious answer is Arsenal then Man Utd and Liverpool, Arsenal if they buy the right players (centre back, midfielder) and continue to integrate there brilliant youngsters into the first team i can see no reason why they wont be up there, Utd need to get rid of the mediocre players as they have way to many and spend there tiny summer transfer budget wisely i.e. A NEW KEEPER and I look forward to seeing what Benitez can do at Liverpool without such injuries and some additional signings in the summer

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    The obvious answer is Chelsea's B squad.

20. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
    Chelseas B squad is all over europe learning their trade such as alex,diego and luis fabiano who chelsea have all got part finance deals with, their actually reserve squad suck.

21. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not touting Utd's keepers, as they have shown to be shakey this year at best, and when a keeper makes a mistake, it's like a neon sign. But I wouldn't prioritize that as highly as some others do.

Utd have dropped 19 pts this year in Prem games where their opponents have scored 1 goal or less, including 10 pts in 0 - 0 draws. In the last year, they've bought Saha, Smith and Rooney (~40 mil) to bolster RVN. I would think that most would consider that record unacceptable given their talent at the front. They have scored just over 1.5 goals per game, and have the second best goals against average. Figuring out the scoring problem is a much more pressing issue than spending gobs on a keeper, although that changes should Carroll really go.

22. Marcusofplymouth

Feb 15, 2005
    Janner town
    How can a team be confident with a crappy keeper. All the top performing sides have the best keeprs (with a few exceptions of course, like us and the Arse bandits). Chelsea, even before Cech, had cudicini performing, Arsenal, last season, when Lehman was good were so much better than this season. AC and Juve have top class keepers as do Bayern. Look who we had in goal the last time we won the champions league! Fair enough it is about scoring just as much as conceding, but knowing you have a goaley behind you who rarley makes mistakes gives the team the confidence to push up without the worry keeps is gonna let in a howler.

23. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesnt help that your midfield can no longer dominate the top sides of Europe anymore like they used to.

24. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of like Given, Schwarzer and Sorensen this past weekend, two of whom are on Utds list of targets. The top class keepers are all pretty rooted where they are, and for the same reasons their tieams will be loathe to part with them. Other than within the Prem, the best hope for a keeper would be what they tried with Howard, a top prospect from somewhere that given a chance in the right team could shine brightly. Grow him and the winning will start.

25. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Surely the the obvious answer would be the Russian Government.