Who is on your PK list?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FearM9, Jul 28, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Well time to rehash this thread.

There is a damn good chance we are heading to the playoffs. If a game ends in a draw after the two 7.5 min OT's then it's on to PK's and good gawd we know what happened last August. :rolleyes:

So who are your first five?

I don't know. I am real hesitant to put Hooper on there.

2. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    Yeesh...I hope this doesn't happen... but....

(1) Serlenga
    (2) Sawa
    (3) Krzykowski (she used to be a forward and is very accurate)
    (4) Burt (if she is on the field)
    (5) Cromwell or Cagle (if she is on the field...hard shot)

back-ups:
    Julie or Nancy

Face it... this is not our strong point!

I say put a regular jersey on Wilson and send her in right before the PK's and let her take one!!!!!!!!! :)

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Serlenga
    Sawa
    Sunny
    Parlow
    Bivens

And I would go in that order.
    You want to be real sure of your first kicker the next two can be the weakest of the five and the last two must be willing to apply the bagger to the heart.

I include Sunny in the weaker of the five only because she is the most likely to be affected by fatgue.

Alternates, if any of these are not available are:
    In no particular order.
    Hooper
    Burt
    Cagle
    Krzykowski
    N. Augustyniak

If any of the alternates are used then the first five move to whatever position is vacated and the alternate moves to position two or three.

4. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    My five

1. Sun - definately, her ability to place the ball makes her automatic
    2. Bivens
    3. Sawa
    4. Wang
    5. Serlenga

5. ATLBeat2515

ATLBeat2515 New Member

Dec 12, 2001
    My top 5 for PK's: (partially in order)

1. Serlenga
    2. Bivens
    3. Sunnie
    4. N. Augustyniak
    5. Sawa

6. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta

7. flix

flix New Member

May 22, 2001
    best kept secret
    1) Sunny
    2) Serlenga
    3) Cagle
    4) Bivens
    5) Cromwell

I like the idea of Wilson (another former forward) and Krzykowski as other options.

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As I posted in another forum Keepers are often the best PK takers on the team so Wilson is not as far fetched as it might seem.

Most coaches never really test the keepers for this unless they have exhibited foot skills a LOT in other situations. It just does not occur to most.

I know, in my first though on this it did not occur to me.

I have seen keepers with horrendous foot skills that could put PKs away virtually every chance. I think a lot of it is knowing all the "reads" a keeper takes and giving false signals. Clilivert was one of the best at that and Compos was very good too.

It would not surprise me to find that even Scurry, whose foot skills are not a real strength, is very good at PKs. We know she has power and, I bet, she can fool most keepers into leaning the wrong way and that is all it takes.

BTW: On PKs many of the best shot stopper's primary read is the direction the toe of the plant foot points. Players are trained to point that toe where they want the ball to go as the kick with the side of the foot and the instep is MUCH simpler that way. Players that can maintain accuracy and violate this are VERY successful PK takers. On the Beat I have seen Sunny, Parlow, and Serlenga all take free kicks with the outside of the foot and/or pull the ball with the instep or inside of the foot and still maintain good accuracy. That is why I think they are MUSTS if on the field.

9. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Yeesh...I hope this doesn't happen... but....

i agree w/ your list. Melie would play forward at A&M along w/ goalkeeping she has a strong accurate shot. I see these PKs of hers.

10. Mr.Soccer

Mr.Soccer New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Maui
    Nikki
    Sawa
    Kylie
    Sun
    Bri

11. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stone replaced Sawa before the Pk's I suspect she may not be able to handle the pressure if he doesn't think so.

Serlenga
    Bivins
    Burt
    Hooper
    Sun Wen

Krzykowski
    Ms. sideback Augustyniak
    Wilson
    Ms. centerback Aug.
    Nonen
    Scurry

12. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would take out Parlow unless she is allowed to volley a header on goal instead :) :D

13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I disagree. Parlow is one of the best in the WUSA at striking the ball accurately with her feet.

She scores a lot with her head because that is the service she gets BUT she has scored many great, important goals with her feed as well. Like, maybe, semifinals last year?

You want your best, most accurate, shooters on the field taking these shots.

Power means little, strength means little, (Parlow has both but that is not important) but the ability to hit the ball, with some deception, right where it needs to be is the characteristic you most need and Parlow has shown that she can do this throughout her career from U10 through now.

I have thought about my earlier picks and I do have a change though.
    Earlier:
    Serlenga
    Sawa
    Sunny
    Parlow
    Bivens

Now:
    Serlenga
    Sawa
    Sunny
    Parlow
    Nancy A. (or Miller)(Change for Bivens as her hurt foot could affect her accuracy too much.)

As I said earlier Wilson is a good choice BUT I doubt that any WUSA coach would have the guts to take that kind of chance, much less a very conservative one like Stone.

14. Kicks2515

Kicks2515 New Member

Jan 5, 2001
    I remember watching Nancy and Julie in the W-league for the Classics and they both took PK's if I remember. And Nancy scored the gamewinner for Clemson against UNC a few years ago on a PK. I think with the success Sawa has been having lately her confidence is probably way up and she should take one. Hooper definitely not!
    And then Serlenga of course and I am not really sure of who else yet.