Who Impressed/Who Didn't???

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OutKast3000, Nov 18, 2004.

1. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    USA Vs. Jamaica

My Top 3 good impressions:
    1.) Eddie Johnson -- not because of the goal, but he made great runs into space and played tough D in the last few minutes of the game.
    2.)Pablo Mastroeni -- I thought he kept things organized in the middle. Hope he sees more time on the field.
    3.) Clint Dempsey -- It would have been nice to get a longer look....but he took it to the defense. I think he will be a great option off the bench in future matches.

Honorable Mention: Cory Gibbs.

The 3 least impressive:
    1.) Ramiro Corrales -- what is he doing out there? Not #1 becasue of giving up the PK but he seemed out of position the enitre game.
    2.) Tony Sanneh -- I think that the valuable game time/experience should have been given to somebody with a good cahnce of being in the lineup for '06. In a game where win/lose/draw doesn't matter it did not make sense. And he basically stunk.
    3.) Chris Albright -- didn't do anything bad -- but didn't do enough to impress me anyway.

What were your top impressions?

2. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Who impressed me...

1) Clint Dempsey - I like his fight
    2) Pablo Mastroeni - did a really good job all over the field
    3) Chris Albright - can't believe I'm saying this, but I thought he did a very good job. He got the lucky assignment of Ralph, but defended well and moved pretty smoothly into attack.

Who didn't impress me.

Ramiro Corrales. - really in over his head.
    Landon Donovan - disappeared for most of the match
    Tony Sanneh - seemed disinterested and too many bad passes

3. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Great impression...
    Eddie Johnson

Strong impressions...
    Albright
    Spector
    Dempsey (although I wasn't as impressed as many seem to have been)

Weak...
    Corrales

Most of the rest were either usual performances or they've been around enough not to change anyone's mind in a single game.

4. Javer42

Javer42 Member

Aug 17, 2004
    NY
    Impressed Me:
    1. EJ
    2. Dempsey
    3. Gibbs
    4. Spector
    5. Pablo

Did NOT Impress Me:
    1. Corrales
    2. Ralston

Ho-Hum
    LD, McBride, Sanneh, Gooch, Albright, Twellman, Keller

5. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Forgot the one major unimpressive person...

The ref!
    I thought he called a pretty poor and inconsistent game.

6. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    I think that Ralston and Donovan were incredibly mediocre! I agree with the Ho-Hum award going to one of these two.

They are better players than what they did last night. They did not play bad....but they didn't play great either.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kept waiting for Albright to f-up and he never did. Pretty solid outing, I thought. I'll take him over Mr. Step-over. Shielded the ball pretty well several times as he let it go out for US throw/kick. Won headers. No crazy, flying challenges, either.

I liked what Spector brought. I'm not inking his name into the starting line-up but nice job. I wanted Mastro (I think that is who it was) to shoot first time (for a golazo, of course) that ball Spector laid off but I'll get over it.

Mastro also impressed me. He played some nice balls and solid d. Deserved MOTM. (Eddie couldn't have gotten it, too, for the goal)

Like some others, Donovan didn't impress me. No real glaring errors that I remember but he was invisible for the most part. I expect more.

Corrales...The best thing I can say is that he has brought unity to the BS community. (Seriously, does anyone think he didn't suck?)

Another thing that really bothered me last night was that giant black hole on the left midfield. I kept telling myself that DMB will be back and and that Eddie Lewis can still get the job done I shouldn't worry. That void still bothers me but I won't lose sleep. Dempsey did improve things, some.

8. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Now that was good! :cool:

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who impressed me:

Johnson, Dempsey, Spector

Who didn't:

Corrales

Though a more quiet game from Donovan - he doesn't need to impress me. He already has.

10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impressed Me:

EJ - his fininshing is getting better, but still has a long way to go to be world class)

Albright - wouldn't be suprised to see him make a run at the position for WC06. Has the size and offensive skills needed at the international level. Has good speed. Continues to get better. He was the best defender on the field.

Pablo - took control of the game. Good job of linking the defense to the midfield for parts of the game. Nice to see him back in form.

Needs Work:

Gibbs - He needs to get some meat on him. Good man marker, but tends to have problems with managing the offside trap.

Dempsey - Too early to tell. Size and attitude looks good.

Spector - Too early to tell. Size, skill, and attitude looks good.

Not Impressive:

Corrales - Similar to the Quakes, does some good, does some bad. Yesterday was bad.

Gooch - Wow. Really bad game. Screwed up the first goal. Terrible distribution (just knocking the ball long). Looked nervous. Gets tossed from the game (which he deserved).

11. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree. He wasn't great, but he didn't do a poor job. His yellow cards were fairly consistant for both teams, but probably not needed in a few cases. He made the right call on the penality kick and the red card. Didn't really miss any major calls (I.e. penality kicks, offside). For the Jamaican goal, he didn't call the Jamaican player on the forearm to Gooch because Gooch was holding his shirt (debatable, but a good no call in my book).

12. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ralson had a bunch of great services in.. that was about the only thing though

13. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will take a collossal miracle for Corralles to be called up again, ref didn't impress me at all. How many of the cards were actually worthy? The Handball one and the tackle on LD looked pretty bad, other than that.. his pocket was like a toaster popping out cards (ok that was dumb, but you get the idea) all in all, the team looked too laid back, other than about the first 15 minutes

14. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    That had to be what he was in there for. What else would he have been asked to do. I think he provides a very useful role. Not an every game kind of guy but he could be useful to stretch the field. Would play rm with lewis at lm and we could really get a crossing game going (esp. with dolo and convey as outside backs).

15. Firefan

Firefan Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Ohio
    At the game, I thought Donovan played well but it's almost unanimous on BS that he disappeared. Sometimes different impressions come out from the live viewing and the TV viewing and in the stadium I liked what he did. Did he create a lot- no, was he on the ball a lot- no... but he played a smart intelligent game and was involved in ways that you don't always see from the narrow TV shot in my opinion. I asked elsewhere, what did you expect from him. We only pushed 4 players forward all night- EJ, BMB, Ralston and LD. Gibbs occasionally forayed forward and proved why he's usually a center back. If Bruce wants to keep 6 plus the keeper deep, you won't see much from your creative, attacking midfielder.

16. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was extremely disappointed in LD. This was an opportunity for him to step and take control of the game in the second half, but he failed to do so. When we needed a leader to settle the game, he was missing. Good thing Mastro was out there.

Dempsey, Albright and Spector all played themselves into future minutes.

EJ cemented his spot on the team. Should be considered in the top 3 choices for forward

Corrales cemented his spot on the list of former National Team players.

Ralston again was inconsistent at the international level.

Gibbs struggled on the outside, but fought the good fight.

Gooch and Sanneh showed they aren't anywhere close to fighting for a starting spot in central defense.

Mastro showed he still has something to offer in the middle of the field.

McBride was McBride.

The Twellman sub didn't make any sense. Why put him in to play on the right side? Didn't embarrass himself.

17. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe me, it's not unanimous from me. I don't think he disappeared at all. He played a smart, solid game. People around here expect spectacular, exciting football from him every time he steps on the field - and when he doesn't do it, he's chastisted for "disappearing."

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Most Impressive:

1) EJ-no brainer. I saw he's left after the game to go train with ManU for 2 weeks and then PSV for 2 weeks. Watch him in Dallas while you can folks.

2) Mastroeni. A fantastic game. The Rapids should move him back to D-Mid on a full time basis. Besides destroying the Jamaican attack better than in Chris Armas' dreams, he made some very good offensive plays when called upon. It was his ball to EJ for the goal.

3) Albright. I hate to say it, but the kid did very well over there at right back. He was marking fast, experienced Jamaican players and didn't get beaten.

Unimpressed:

1)Corrales. Well, we saw it coming. Does BA watch MLS?

2)Sanneh. Why play him out of position? He is what he is, despite Andrulis' attempts to move him around.

3)Gooch. Sorry kid, can't get yourself sent off in a WCQ. He'll learn.

19. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Had that been Wayne Rooney or Alan Smith that ball was laid off to it would have been a great assist by Spector.

20. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Gooch had a pretty good game. He handled the ball well in the back and other than trying to get the foul called he didn't really screw up. This guy gives us a pretty big psychological edge when it comes to other teams crossing it inot our box. On the red card he was unlucky his hand was already there and when the ball was kicked near it he reacted it wasn't the best reaction but it didn't hurt that much.

Spector and Dempsey didn't have any glaring errors, but weren't out there long enough to get a full assessment. They made the most of the time they had.

Eddie Johnson had a good game, got the goal, but could have had 2 more. Still he's a great prospect.

Albright...whenever I see that he's in the starting line-up I want to kill Bruce, BUT he had a great game by what I think of him. He had no real errors and like someone else posted shielded really well.

I hadn't been that big of a fan of Mastroeni, but after his performance last night he has to be on the qualifying roster from here on out.

Ralston and Corrales both shouldn't ever be called back up they just don't have what it takes at the next level.

Twellman didn't have a chance to make any impact on this game, I would have liked to see him up top for a little bit. Give the kid a chance he knows how to put the ball in the back of the net.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

22. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Impressed:

1. Albright
    2. Pablo
    3. Spector

Depressed:

1. Carrales
    2. Sanneh
    3. Gooch

Supressed (by the crappy midfield play):

1. Donovan
    2. McBride
    3. Johnson

Pressed (busted their butts while on the pitch):

1. Dempsey
    2. Johnson
    3. Twellman

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking Scholes but same thing really.

24. i_heart_landon

i_heart_landon New Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Columbus-for now
    He has already impressed on a national level. That said, when you're wearing the band you should be making noise, whether that's by getting touches or being vocal. You should not disappearing into the fog that shrouded the stadium last night. Even when Onweyu was ejected, he let Sanneh do most of the "talking" with the ref- something I feel should be left to the captain. He had a solid game with the touches he did get, but not one worthy of a national captain, and especially not this national captain.

25. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did anyone else listening to the ESPN2 broadcast think it was funny that they said LD slept with the captains band under his pillow? wonder if it's true? cracks me up anyways.