Who here has been with MLS since the begining?

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by (TxT), Jul 5, 2005.

1. paintgreen

paintgreen New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    Miami, FL
    I've been following since 1996... attended the first game for the Fusion, back in 1998-- a loss to DC United. It's great to see the league growing, and will be a season ticket holder when it returns to Miami...

2. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like many here I have been on board since Day 1. I too was an NASL fan (a ballboy for the LA Aztecs in the mid 70's) who endured the Dark Years, played in college, went to a couple World Cups and Olympic Games, followed the MISL and the Western Soccer Alliance among others, and waited with anticipation for the launch in 1995, errr, 1996. I was also one of the lucky 69K+ that attended that first game in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. And through a marriage, two career changes and the birth of my two daughters, I have remained a loyal Galaxy season-ticket holder. I don't get to every game (its a 100 miles one-way to the HDC) but I still get to 2/3 of the home games, most Open Cup matches, all home playoff games and the occasional road match. I try to watch matches live when I travel for work (DC has some of the best fans I've sat with) and of course I watch every match of the season on cable with the MLS/Shootout/whatever my cable company's got package and a DVR. I also have a closet full of jerseys, T-shirts, hats and other junk (yes, even a few bobbleheads). There is no known cure for my affliction but I am grateful to see that there are others that suffer as I do. To all of you who have supported the league, and my habit, from the begining I say "Thank you!"

3. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been with MLS since the beginning... Rapids fan since that was the closest to Montana ...lol

Now im a fervent RSL fan...for life (alongside my beloved Juventus)

4. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    I've been a fan since the Fusion came into the league. Ivo Wortmann came in and led the Fusion to the playoffs(with help from Valderamma and Diego Serna) with Ray Hudson as the man in the booth. Since then I've been hooked.

5. ArsenalGooner

ArsenalGooner Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Watched the first game- went to the first Wizards game- against the cRapids I believe. Ended up in Chicago- worked for the Fire for 4+ years- still going to games.

6. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    I remember back in 96 the mls used to get a lot of media attention from Univision. Univision's marketing power is unbelievable. The local news always had a section about the Galaxy. Being from El Salvador, my family was very excited about Cienfuegos playing in LA. I didn't know too much about him and his level of play, so I didn't pay too much attention. The first few seasons the Galaxy used to play in the Rose Bowl. That place is enormous and remote. I hated it! Back then the crowds were very big. If 30K people showed, attendance was not great but okay. If I am not mistaken back then the majority of the fans were central american or mexicans, don't remember seeing that many whites, unlike right now at HDC. But don't quote me on that I only went to a few games. I wanted to follow on TV MLS games. I watched any team any time, I din't care who was playing. Every time I tried to watch a game I used to get discourage and embarased not about the level of play but empty stadiums. And for some strange reason most televised games were in Kansas City or Colorado. If I were to watch a game i would make sure that I was alone and the door shut. I didn't want anybody else to see the empty stadiums. I always thought in the back of my mind that the league would not survive and i thought to myself do not get attached to these teams they would not be around too long. For some reason seeing empty stadiums has always kept me away from enjoying the games. How things have changed now. 4 sss and more to come.

So any way I did not watched after the first year and mls disappear from my radar. HDC did it for me. HDC is such a beautiful place. I feel like I own it.

7. badgoalie85

badgoalie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Fairfax, VA USA
    the thing that i remember the best from the beginning days of the mls was seeing tony sanneh jump like 30 ft into the air to knock in a goal in the mls cup in pouring down rain

8. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    i still remember falling asleep watching the first game

9. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mark me down as a '96er ..... favourite player: Gio Savarese

10. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been watching since 1996, but didn't buy any type of season tickets until '97. I was finishing college in '96. I remember sometimes being prepared to watch a tape-delayed DC United game on a Thursday night (say 11:30 p.m.), and then finding ESPN had decided to push it back until 1:30 a.m :eek:

Should I add that I'm one of the quiet side people ;)

One of the years I volunteered to do game day activities. In my case, this usually meant keeping errant practice shots from destroying the hospitality section behind the goal. Although I was literally close to players at this point, I figured the league was better off if it took my money.

One of the memorable games I went to was the '97 MLS cup...a packed stadium in a cold, heavy rain.

On the other hand, I remember attendance of under a thousand for the CONCACAF games....

11. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    I' ve been a fan since 1996 and always will be.

12. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here.

13. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I got into the MLS when I was in Florida in 97' on holiday. I thought it was cool how they played night games during the week, because I never got to see a lot of that in England

To be honest I was only a kid at the time but I didn't think that the league lacked anything and was quite happy watching it. For some real I liked the Fusion, Fire, and DC. Yeah I know....

14. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    Same here. I went to DC United's first home game at RFK in 1996. That was followed by many, many other games, including playoffs and MLS Cup '97.

Alas, I now live in Houston and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of our own MLS team (though I hope not at the expense of SJ).

15. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Followed the league since it's inception, but really got into things in 97 when Chicago got the Fire. Been addicted ever since.

16. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on up to Dallas and catch a game at PHP. If you were/are a DC fan, come on up for that game. Drop by the tailgate (northeast corner of the stadium).

I promise you, it will be an experience to remember.

17. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    Actually, I'm already planning my trip to MLS Cup 2005 in November (regardless of who plays in the game). Are tickets for sale yet?

I'll make sure to arrive early enough to tailgate. Thanks for the invite. :D

18. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries, but really, you might want to come up before then. MLS Cup is probably not going to be an easy ticket.

19. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    Do you really think the Cup tix will be hard to get. If FC Dallas makes it, then, yeah, I can see that. But if it's, say, the Quakes and Revs?

I guess they'll sell tickets to FC Dallas season ticket holders first, then open it up to others. Please let me know if you have any other inside scoop.

Thanks!

20. KingLouie

KingLouie New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Club:
    Club América
    i will be making the trip to MLS cup as well (2001, 2003, 2005) inevitable."alliu"
    What is the ticket situation?

21. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just say that the city of Frisco and Collin County are full of citizens who paid a combined $55 million - that is a lot of glad-handling to do, and a lot of showing off to do. If you're not a local (as described above - hence, doesn't include me since I actually live in Dallas) or a Dallas season ticket holder (which I am), it might be tight. Remember, the capacity for opening day was supposed to be 15k, but they sold almost 17k. Now, there might be a drop off - let's see how things play out - but I sure wouldn't wait too long.

And more to the point - make a regular season game where things aren't as crazy as MLS Cup will be.

22. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    All good points. Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure to look for the tailgate party, regardless of which game(s) I attend.

23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I reserved my United season ticket in late 1995 and have had at least 1 season ticket since (I have 3 now, I've had more in the past). Dante Washington sat right behind me in Section 231 for the first home game at RFK and signed my inaugural ticket as "Dante Washington #10 Warthogs" :) Different young guys came by during the whole game to talk about how the different teams were holding tryouts and how to get noticed, it was pretty cool to hear. Dante had been on the board at United Park (the nice training/office facility DCU used to have) showing players they were interested in and hoped would play for the team, so I asked him why he wasn't, he said it was timing between his Warthogs contract and when MLS wanted to sign people, but he hoped to be on some team by the next season, if not later that year.

I remember losing alot the first part of the season and just figured that being a United fan would end up like being a Seattle Seahawks fan (which I was/am) - boy was I wrong :D (well, except for that 2001-2003 thing)

I have been to all the MLS Cups so far and don't plan on missing this one, so Frisco had best hold me a couple of seats ;)

24. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    You've been to every MLS Cup, or just the ones that DC has been involved in?