who gets the Soccer Mix channel/package from directv?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by ironduke2010, Jan 8, 2010.

1. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've checked out directv's offerings off and on, and never saw much interesting until i saw their soccer package

is this thing new? does anyone have it? this, added to the presumably impending launch of FSC HD, seems to make this the best package around (if you don't mind the 24 month contract).

and, this looks cool:

Don't miss a moment of the best soccer action on TV. Tune in to our exclusive Soccer Mix Channel (ch. 461)* and enjoy multiple matches at the same time, live on your TV. Select any game to see it full-screen.

[​IMG]

2. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    started this season for uefa cl and europa league. much more enjoyable to watch these games in full hd on these channels then fsc or gol

direct tv is the best choice for football imo. only thing they dont have is that german channel dish has that shows all the bundesliga games in german.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Only available for the group stages FYI.

I have Directv and yeah, I think it is the best overall soccer package.

Obviously FSC and Setanta are available on both, Dish has the German league package, while Directv has a couple Bundesliga games on Goltv. If you like the Spanish league at all you want Directv, as not having Goltv means you will miss a lot of important matches.

That 24 month contract goes a lot faster than you think. I remember being hesitant about it, but I had not realized that I am already 3+ years in. The only problem I have now is the Versus dispute.

4. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    ^ directv also added 3 channels this season which shows Spanish League games as well. so thats 3 extra games a week from la liga.

was just looking under directv international channels....theres a channel in the Brazilian package that shows over 300 games a year from their domestic competitions. if setanta usa goes under maybe i'll start following Brazilian football more.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does not Goltv have some Brazilian games? I don't know because I don't care for it, but some might.

I forgot about the extra La Liga games. Those are only good if you want EVERY LA Liga match up, or want to follow specific teams not named Barcelona Real Madrid.

6. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    i think they started showing either 1 or 2 games a week from Brazil this season.

7. themaestro

themaestro Member

Nov 9, 2005
    I know I said before, but Directv Champions League and Europa League coverage of the group stages was amazing this Fall. A few bumps along the way early on, but overall it was excellent. and I don't even have HD yet. :D
    Anyone know if it will be the same for next season?

8. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's not a soccer "package", just what's available to Dtv subscribers - same with the Tennis mix channels.

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It seems interesting that the FSN channel is apparently not part of the package. Is this because:

1) It's a generic photo? The FSN game would be the same no matter what, right?
    2) The FSN game is not part of the mix?
    3) This screen is depicting Wednesday action?
    4) Other

Also, where's the FSE game? Ideally, the bottom bar should tell you what channel the game is on (FSE, FSC, Setanta, DirecTV, FSN.)

10. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    i have setanta but those games always said subscription required on mine. i never really used the mix channel though so i didnt bother calling about it. only sometimes for europa league but those games were all dtv so it didnt matter.

11. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sadly the mix channel isn't smart enough to know which channels you get as part of your account.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may say the mix channel is...mixed up?

13. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, i noticed it wasn't, strictly speaking, a "soccer package", but the way they organized the info on the website seemed to imply it's a package.

near as i can tell, you'll have to have whatever TV package you get, plus the "sports package" and you should get all the stuff they talk about on that page. that's a bit different from att uverse, where fsc is *not* included in the sports package, it's just one of the channels you get with the bigger tv packages.

for me, since i'm looking to get new tv programming from somewhere, it may just come down to, "who will provide FSC HD and FSC+ first". it's looking like directv has a good chance of being the one. do you guys who get directv have any "official" word of FSC HD or FSC + showing up on directv?

14. Crammers

Crammers Member

Apr 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haven't heard anything from DirecTV regarding FSC+ yet.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest negative of AT&T seem to be that you need to subscribe to every movie channel except HBO and Cinemax in order to get FSC, as all those channels are in the same package. However, their Sports Pack does have FSE (English SAP) and Gol TV (English and Spanish SAP.)

They do have ESPN360, though. :)

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't plan on it until the channel launches at the earliest. It'll be before D12 goes operational, but close to it.

17. nandoal28

nandoal28 Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The HD picture alone for soccer makes it well worth it.

18. Crammers

Crammers Member

Apr 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have Dish made any noises, my contract runs out Feb 13th so whoever confirms first gets my custom. :D

19. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It's not that it's not smart enough. DirecTV just doesn't have the rights to show other channels' games inside the Mix channel.

How do I know this? I went to hell and back talking with their customer service:

1) Got a tech guy who was very helpful and did a lot of line tests, reprogramming, and really went out of his way to see what was going wrong because he said I should've been able to see all 8 games on the mix channel. Sadly my phone lost signal and I couldn't get back in touch with him afterwards.

2) Got a regular representative who knew absolutely nothing about soccer and was completely unfamiliar with all the soccer-related channels (this describes 99% of the people you'll speak to when you call DirecTV customer support). After explaining the problem at hand, he tried to tell me that yeah I did receive Setanta and FSC, but something was weird, because I also had the spanish package, so I was subscribed (but not really subscribed) to Setanta and FSC. What?! Bullshit.

Next I speak with his manager and this guy actually tells me that the reason I couldn't see the Setanta Sports game on the Mix channel was because I had not subscribed to MLS DirectKick. Are you f*cking kidding me?! I call him out on it and explain to him that Champions League football and MLS soccer have absolutely NOTHING to do with each other. He quickly changed his story and told me that Setanta Sports itself blacked out the game. I told him that was not true, since I could watch the game just fine on the Setanta Sports channel (ch 621). His reply: "Well, you're receiving the game in error, because Setanta Sports is blacking out this game."

Jesus Christ. This guy just concocts lie after lie and proclaims complete certainty in his fabrications.

3) I called yet again to see if I could finally get to the bottom of this. This time I spoke to a competent manager who knew exactly what the problem was and the reason for it: FSC and Setanta, et al, didn't give DirecTV permission to show their games within the mix channel. Simple. Understandable. Was that so hard to say? I told her that they should change the "Requires Subscription" message in the Mix channel. If I am subscribed, and it tells me "Requires Subscription", it implies that something is wrong and it'll lead to unnecessary tech support calls.

20. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    lol. you wouldnt believe how much shit i had to go through to get direct tv installed at my house because we have old wiring in our walls. 3 trips out to our house and countless convesations like that. finally, the last guy to come out was a pro and knew what was going on....but jesus christ if i didnt need setanta and gol i wouldve dropped that shit so quick.

21. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

pfffth. just how hard is it to install the thing? i wouldn't think old wiring would make it that hard. as soon as i know i can get FSCHD and FSC+, i wanna get directv, but i'm pretty sure i don't want to deal with clueless folk ripping the house apart. i've done enough of that myself already.

it's not just a simple matter of mounting the dish and running a coax cable (or 2) to the box?

22. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think those guys are just contracted by DirecTV to do the install, they don't necessarily represent DirecTV. The same guys probably install DISH Network equipment as well.

23. nym0507

nym0507 New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    In NYC Hostess Communications does the installation for Directv and they did a good job never had an issue in 3 yr going on 4th yr. Only problem is when thunderstorm comes it goes off but thats it.

24. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    ya, it was ridiculous. first two told us we had to get new wiring before they could install. third guy knew some way to deal with or something, i dont know. it dragged on for a couple weeks....missed some games...raged hard lol.

but get direct tv though. they are the heavyweights of football.

25. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Not if they won't carry Fox Soccer Plus! :mad: :mad: