Who gains and who loses from Arena's promulgation delay???

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by IndividualEleven, Apr 12, 2006.

1. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

damn sure got that right...

2. Phuqinu

Phuqinu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Boulder, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, everyone needs to quit mentioning Chris Armas(sh*t, I just did) before the Bruce realizes he's not dead and tries to bring his sorry ass to Germany. Is that what you guys want? Huh? Me neither, now shut up.

Oh, and can we quit mentioning Josh Wolff too...

Spector gains... maybe LD too as far as where he plays in the WC(2nd striker). That atrocious play against Jamaica by the forwards has got to keep BA up all nite. Poor bastard, but it's somewhat self-inflicted. I'd like to see Gaven get another shot, but that ain't gonna happen this cycle.

3. Bellus Ludas

Bellus Ludas New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Greeality
    It's just about Cleetus time ;) Oh wait, he didn't play for UVA or DC United...

Seriously I think Specter had fallen off the radar and now he is back on. Also, these three weeks are a plus for Wolf and a neg for Ching. Wolfe has been on the inside before...all he has to do is show some good form and he is in. Where as Ching has to play out of his skull to even get a look.

Has anyone got a fitness report on Renya...that would play into this question as well.

4. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Spector is more in than you think. He'll be starting the rest of the year for an EPL club. With the roster now being based on performance for the club team, as long as he keeps playing well, I'd say he's at least got a leg up on Albright. If you factor in the experience factor, Berhalter and Hejduk are right there with him, but I think his versatility is too good not to bring along.

On the other hand, maybe it'd be another indication that we're arriving on the World Soccer stage by leaving an EPL starter off our World Cup roster?

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I don't know how good Conor Casey was before he went to
    Germany, but he sure sucks more than Ching--at least
    in a Nats uniform.

6. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edson buddle, Herc....but it is late....i really think those who missed the boat (ie those not called by senor Bruce) are not getting chances this late...what's sad is to have seen how often the likes of CHing/Wolff got opps.... only to show by now that they are the same mediocre National Team members they have always been, or at least the last few years....

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the 35-man announcement would have done is identify for us on May 2 who were the two guys not to make the 23-man roster or 10-man alternate list. It was a PR exercise that Bruce didn't feel he wanted to go through, IMHO.

8. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    As much as I would love to agree with this..I can't. If you have not watched him play, watch him this weekend. Track him the entire match. You will be impressed.

9. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover
    This is the point to stress.

Not that Herc or Buddle would have been stars or lit it up, but the inordinate amount of chances the others got in the meantime, while hoping (?) for an injured player (EJ) to come back and regain form (not tested at top levels) after 8 mths.

Just not smart. A real savy reporter needs to make a real know it all wise ass comment back to BA like he does to see how he likes it.

I am convinced he is not going to Europe. He doesn't want to deal with the scrutiny and questions, and I think he is smart enough to know he can do what he wants here.
    I would have no problem seeing him try to sort out the USSF BTW. None at all.
    Little tough dictator love is needed there IMO.

10. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY
    Bruce has said he's shootin' for those 2 matches to yield . . . . . . a point. Not a point each, . . . a point. There's going to be a bunker on the field and it won't be Archie.

Where'd u get that from? I have never heard Bruce say that. I really hope he doesn't think it b/c if he does it's a waste of our time 2 go to the WC. And if he said that that would be the dumbest PR move in the history of USSF! Could you please provide a link to ur info.

11. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    On the button

12. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    No clue - Spector is going AND TT is not.

13. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then what? FIFA has restricted WC designated players from participating with their clubs after May 15 in order to prepare for WC. None of these players will be released earlier. The final roster must be selected 2 weeks earlier. So, no final SELECTION camp for Europeans.

Thus far, MLS has bent over backward to accommodate Arena. However, I don't see releasing MLS players at his whim during season on nothing but a hope and a prayer. Therefore, MLS players making the final 23 will be released along with the Euros but not sooner. An in-form player already strongly in Arena's radar may help himself over the next 3 matches but no new selections will appear. IMO, no Clark's, Cooper,s, etc will suddenly step up and make the squad. However, releasing a list of 23 or 35 or whatever prematurely makes no sense.

14. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was impressed with Herc last year and he played most of the season for a team that did the double. Cooper may be the player, but it's just too late...

15. Raulduke

Raulduke New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    Even though I know it will probably happen, I hate the thought of guys like Heydude making the final roster instead of guys like Spector.

On another note, even though I have bashed the guy quite liberally in the recent past, I'm starting to pull for Ching as the fourth striker. He's been lighting it up in MLS and even though he didn't score in the Jamaica game, I thought he did better than the other 3 MLS strikers. Plus, against some of these WC teams, our best chance to score will be off a set piece where hight pays dividends, see 6'7" Peter Crouch.

16. Raulduke

Raulduke New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    Maybe its an indication that Bruce is being hard headed and he really does need to move on.

17. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Howard is Goalie #3...Goalie #2 being Marcus Hahnemann...

18. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    And you know this how???

Seriously, it's one thing to say you think Hahnemann is better than Howard and should be our #2, and it is another thing to say Hahnemann is our #2. Back in summer Arena said Howard was #2. Maybe it's changed since then, maybe it hasn't. You certainly can't tell by Arena's statements or playing decisions, however.

19. Celo's Bicycle

Feb 16, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But none of those teams are in our group.

20. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    A real savvy reporter would think your post here is delusional and would recommend medication. Try and enter the real world sometime.

21. CincoDmayo

CincoDmayo New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    MFin CLEVELAND OHIO
    Conrad and Spector over Gibbs? Ya, this list is crap.

22. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't have posted a list if I realized people would haggle over the backs and the third keeper. Anyway, as crazy as it sounds, I can see Cooper going. But then again, I wouldn't mind Adu making the roster as a 20th person, so maybe I am overly concerned that we will need some late game offense.

On an unrelated note, can someone tell me where Donovan plays for LA?

23. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover

Serious Ursula. What's your relationship to US Soccer, Arena, etc.

Has to be something to act in the way you do.

Some excellent posts, but God forbid BA gets criticized, made fun of in the slightest way.

If it wasn't for people calling you Skip, I would swear you are Kenny.

BA, in Europe, with that attitude would be an F'N disaster. Count on it.
    He ain't Mourinho. He's a Yank in a weak region, no matter what his US accomplishments. Do you actually think fans and reporters would take that shite? You are living in Oz if you believe it wouldn't be an issue. Not I.
    Talk out of your ass in this regard all you want because with all due respect you are. He would be savaged over there for the slightest thing acting like that as a Yank.

Have some more Kool Aid. Seems like BA would be your Jim Jones from what I have seen.

Best part, I like the guy, but a sheep I am not.

Ursula = baa, baaa, baa when it comes to Daddy Bruce.

If you don't like hearing about dad in ways you don't like, don't read.

24. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    Arena is debating exactly what we've been debating for months: FORWARDS

He's disappointed with Wolff, Twellman and Ching. Cooper is looking like a very good, big, skillful forward. Jaqua is coming off injury and will probably start Saturday next to Rolfe.

I bet he wants to see Rolfe, Cooper, and Jaqua a bit more. And I wouldn't be surprised if Cooper is included in the preliminary roster.

25. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd probably base that statement on last summers Gold Cup, when Marcus was called in over Tim.

Of course, there's the little matter of marcus playing, and Tim sitting most of this season, but you're correct....it is my opinion. Both are going to Germany (again, in my opinion).