Who do you want to win the World Cup and why? [R]

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by dark knight, Jul 3, 2006.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    As a US fan, obviously I don't want Italy - and both Italy and Germany have won it too many times. Since I suspect that many folks will be like me and love the play of Zizou and well, not exactly love Ronaldo - my guess is France will win this poll.

Who are you rooting for to win it all and why?

2. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    Re: Who do you want to win the World Cup and why?

Italy and Portugal are dirty cheats. Im ambivalent when it comes to France. The Germans on the other hand have been outstanding hosts, I found the people very friendly and very helpful.

Germany for me.

3. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004

1. As an old person, I have to like the French team..;)
    2. I also like the "New Look" German team and their coach is from my area..:p
    3. Third would be Portugal just because the other choice is Italy whom would be the last choice, of course...:p

4. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First Germany, because they have been great hosts.

Second Portugal, because they haven't won a World Cup and they knocked England out.

Third France, because they looked outstanding against Brazil and would be nice to see Henry, Zidane, and the crew win another.

Fourth Italy, they knocked the USA down in the Kaiserslautern match but they had good fans.

5. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

France, I fell in love with them as a 9th grader in the 98 world cup. I love Zidane and Henry is my favorite player, plus there are several other former Arsenal players in the squad so France for me. I would say Germany after them because of the new way that they approach the game.

6. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Same here. They spared us having to watch England two more times.

7. RevsFunk

RevsFunk New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Boston

I would say france, zidane his posse have the potential to play amazing soccer and win with style. Henry deserves a trophy too.

I would say germany next because they have played great soccer and have some U.S. influence on their team (training, doctors, etc.)

I guess portugal too, simply because figo and his "golden generation" deserve some sort of trophy for all of there promise. After Ronaldo's little winking job though, they have sunken almost to the level of the italians.

8. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA

It would be fun to see the hosts win, but France has been playing the most beautiful soccer so far (see Zidane)

9. GoldenDiveAward

GoldenDiveAward New Member

Jun 27, 2006

I'd be grateful for just having a France-Germany final.

Please. please not Italy-Portugal. There would be more guys rolling around on the pitch instead of playing the game. It could be the first time in history the AR signals a total of 1/2 hour of stoppage time for each half. The stretcher bearers would need to be substituted for exhaustion.

10. Scumby

Scumby Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Vancouver, WA USA

I want Portugal simply because they haven't won it before. After that I like France, then Germany, and then Italy.

Of course if Italy win, we (USA) can claim to have also won since we tied them in group play, and thus are obviously as good as them. ;)

Scumby

11. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Finally!!! Netherlands made us look bad in that game, but they simply started shit, easy as that. That isnt how we play and we wouldnt have played that like in any other normal game. England is another 1. Friggin Wayne Rooney stepping on R. Carvalho's sack and then pushing Ronaldo when he checks on hom, come on now!!! Im glad Ronaldo kept his cool which is really hard to do. Figo even gave the ball back to England's goalkeeper when they stopped the game. I dont know what some of you are watching, but Portugal definately doesnt cheat.

Forca Portugal!!!

12. apmgtv

apmgtv New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Big Lick, VA

If Zidane plays the way he has these past two matches, I have to like France because I want to see more of the Zidane show.

My next favorite would be Portugal, just because they've never won. Then Germany, then Italy.

13. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions

Have to go with whatever makes the best story and right now it's clearly France. One last hurrah for the "has been" great one. Talk about going out with style, Zizou is putting on a clinic.
    Still there are great reasons to support the other teams: Italy for some trickle-down US glory, Germany for shocking it's own fans and for its americanized coach, and Portugal for its golden generation playing with flair and resolve.

14. cronaldo17

cronaldo17 New Member

Portugal - they have never won before and deserve it. FORCE PORTUGAL. ATE O FINAL

15. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan

Italy i.e. whatever gives US fans hemroids lol.

16. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Portugal all the way

******** the other 3

17. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Has to be Zizou and France. Henry and he are just such class players, and I love what I'm seing with Ribery. With Zidane retiring after the Cup, what better way to send him out than as a World Champion? How, as a neutral, could you *not* root for France?

If not France, then:

2. Germany. Klinsi has done so much to get rid of the notion of the old-stlye German soccer; I love the way he totally shows his emotion on the sidelines. It's like he still wants to be out there! How can you not love this team? If it wasn't for France, I'd be pulling for them all the way. But I *am* pulling for a Germany vs. France final.

3. Italy. Boy, this is like picking between two of your sister's ugly friends. But, I have to give it to Italy, because they've played like a team at times, and have shown, when they put their minds to it, they can own some teams.

4. Portugal. This isn't a team; it's a bunch of individual stars. They have yet to impress me. Also, Cristiano Ronaldo is the most arrogant footballer I've ever seen. Plus, he looks like an annoying guy I work with! Please, France! Stop the Portuguese!

-Adam

18. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

France or Germany.

I won't even watch the third place game between the ballerinas.

19. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Forza Italia!

20. WayneRooneyIsFat

WayneRooneyIsFat New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    NYC, NY

My preferences, in order:

1) France, because of Zizou and Vieira and Scarface and Henry. Though I must say I was pissed about Henry's acting in the Spain match...he got someone (Puyol?) carded for no reason at all.

2) Germany, because they've played really well and they've played the right way (Ballack's dive excepted).

3) Portugal, because they're not Italy.

4) The WC final is cancelled entirely and there is no winner.

5) Italy.

21. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I've got to support the DFB and their American Coach

[​IMG]

22. magalhaes1976

magalhaes1976 New Member

May 16, 2006
    Lisboa
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

You got it wrong... we had a bunch of individual stars in the past... not now... We would never got so far in the competition by playing like "individual stars", this is a tough solid team... a group of good friends leaded by a great coach!

CR is not arrogant, he is a confident player, that's 2 different things & besides im sure you can say the same of every good player out there! Not going to comment the rest of your post.

About the thread & if Portugal doesnt win, i will support Italy, allways loved that feel that they are performing very bad & then... 1-0 Italy, then defense, play dead, play ugly... 2-0 Italy! Got to love efficiency! Germany it's ok as well... France, not even if they were all pretty blond girls!

Cheers

23. gromit

gromit Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Wallace's House

I am of German descent so I always root for Germany after the USA.

If not Germany, then Portugal because they have not won a WC.

Then Italy because they are not France and I like Bufon.

Mainly I am rooting for four good games with none of them decided by PKs.

24. AcrossThePond

AcrossThePond New Member

Jun 18, 2006

The team that dives the least.
    The team that entertains the most.
    The team that overcame the toughest opposition.
    The team that is the least arrogant.

I was hoping to see four different teams in the semis. A bit of unique flair, passion, honesty, unusual playing style, etc. I got excited in recent world cups watching the likes of South Korea, Australia, United States, Ghana, etc. but once it boils down to the usual suspects I begin to lose interest.

Based on the criteria above, it really has to be France I suppose. With Germany a close second. I don't really care too much though....

Sorry, but despite having great players and great fans, I wasn't at all enamoured with some of the antics of those players from Portugal and Italy in certain games in this tournament. I'm embarrassed when my own teams behave badly and I have no time for it.

25. jotadia

jotadia New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pulling for Germany, pulling for Klinsmann