Who do you want in the net when the Nats start qualifying next year?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TWR, Sep 20, 2003.

1. TWR

TWR New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    New York
    Just interested in your opinions.

2. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    I guess I picked Howard because I think he will be our strongest keeper for the next World Cup out of that list. In the next friendlies I want Adin Brown to be given a chance I think he is as good as Howard. I don't believe that we will only have Howard to choose from in the years to come. Keller was easily No1 one for quite a while then it was Friedels turn. I don't know if Meola will get anymore friendlies but I'm sure he'd like to work his way back in, but I still feel that Howard and Brown will be the future keepers.

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of the above. Not b/c they are not quality but b/c they would be better off staying with thier clubs especially Tim Howard. Adin Brown would do well, Kevin Hartman or John Walker could fill in as well.

4. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I reserve judgement on the 3 until the EPL season is over. Then I'll tell you. :)

5. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    anyone but Friedel...don't want someone scared in our net which is how he looks every time he puts on the US Jersey.

6. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    wha?! He looks alert... maybe... but scared?

No. He's a good keeper. Most countries WISH they had a keeper like him for their national team.

I will still always be a Keller fan.

I have to agree though that I'd rather see some MLS keepers playing alot of the early games in qualifying.

7. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hartman is having an amazing season. He is amazing again tonight. If he is still on form during qualifying, he should start.

8. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

I didn't know fear was a requisite of saving two World Cup penalties.

:confused:

9. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kasey Keller until he is too old. He will be 36 for the 2006 World Cup. That is not too old.

- Paul

10. Football Ronin

May 13, 2002
    Oregon, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any of the three would be fine. However it has been painful to watch (even in highlights) some of the beatings Friedel and Keller have been taking in the EPL at the start of this season. I realize that much of this is due to being completely let down by their respective defenses, but man has it been ugly at times.

11. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    I say we trade one to Spain for a creative midfielder and a player to be name later.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or possibly to Brazil for a creative mid, that can consistly put the ball in the net as well.

13. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he looked terrified during the last World Cup.

He was probably worried about the harsh criticism you had in store for him.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to post on the topic of goalkeeping, I would say that for the first round at least, any of our MLS keepers could easily get us through the round, I'd prefer either Brown, Hartman, or Rimando though.

15. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Did you notice that he let 6 goals in?

Did you watch the Mexico game? Remember that punch out directly to No-Neck?

Do you remember two goals in the first five minutes of play against Poland?

How about the header from Ballack that hit him in the hands?

Good game against Korea though, and they were really helpful by kicking the ball directly at him for every single shot, including the one that got past him (headed that one to him).

Sorry, I'm not on the Friedel bandwagon. He's great for his club, though as someone else has noted, this year not so much. For the Nats, I'd take Howard or Keller in a heartbeat.

16. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC

17. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I'm just sick of this Friedel worship. He had one good game in the World Cup and that was just thanks to absolutely horrible finishing.

He gave up 6 goals yet three of them were agoos' fault??? C'mon.

Yes, I'm aware of his prowess in the EPL. I don't think he transfers it to the national team, and yes he never looks confident to me in goal - even scared. That exchange between he and Blanco was absolutely pathetic and though it may seem to be only "one mistake" it was representative of how he played in the knockout rounds.

Again, I'm not on the Friedel bandwagon no matter how much Souness and the BS contingent want to wax his knob and any other GK we have.

As a matter of fact I'm sick of everyone talking about how good our keepers are. Who cares? I want to see field players getting the exposure that our super keepers get. Last I checked, you need at least one goal to win, and none of our supermen are going to get one of those for us.

18. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    You do know that saving penalties, like converting them, is luck?

19. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Flan, I recognize your name and haven't pegged you for an idiot at this point, so I'm assuming you must have something good to say at least every now and then.

But this post is retarded plain and simple.

20. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC

21. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    --im a reader not a poster but when i see somethin this freakin stupid i must respond to Adins Browns father!

What ghe hell are you smokin??
    Brown as good as Howard? are you f'in blind?
    Don't get me wrong I think Brown is good but dont compare him to Howard. Tim has superior quickness and athletisim. I would say Brown is in the second tier of USA gk's (J. Cannon, M. Hahnemann, N. Rimando).

Tim Howard is playing for one of the best teams in the world, in argubaly the best league (EPL) in the world and in the best club tournement (champions league) in the world? The expierence he will gain along w/ his great attributes you will never hear brown being mentioned in the same sentence as Tim!!

22. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    it's friedel's job to lose at this point, unless you don't want him to play agains the opening round Postage Stamps.

23. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    C'mon Chad, you know how it works. Anytime anyone supports one of the national team players that you're not particularly fond of you accuse them of having homosexual feelings for said player, or of actually believing said player to be a religious figure.

I, according to many, have an emotional attachment to LD, am jealous of Clint's pulling abilities, and believe Bobby Convey to be the second coming of Jesus Christ, Mohammed and Buddha all in one, of course, capable of walking on water.

And anyway, I just don't believe BF's world cup was all that stellar. Not compared to JOB, Donovan, Sanneh and Claudio. More like Frankie, he did what he was supposed to do.

I still want Kasey in goal. He may not be better in England, but he's better for the USMNT.

24. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC

25. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    Whoever's playing best at the time, preferably one of the MLS guys so we're not taking the EPL guys away from their clubs until the later and tougher games in qualifying.