who do you prefer out of these mids?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by jpick, Sep 25, 2007.

1. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    here's a poll to gauge opinion on a similar discussion held elsewhere. hopefully it results in lively debate and doesn't degenerate into a thread for world rivalries. also, this is a best out of these players, not intended to be a best in the world thread, so pointing out others who are better than these is kind of pointless. also, they are not all the same roles, and don't possess all the same attributes, but i still think a comparison can be made.

if possible defend your picks.
    cheers.

edit: oh yeah, and one other thing, it is who you would want for this season, not who has had a better career or who has a brighter future.

2. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd pick Cesc even if I wasn't an Arsenal supporter for his vision and his continued improvement, combined with his youth. Most bang for your buck at this point ;)

3. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    pirlo, by far. and then scholes, great player.

4. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of right now Pirlo would just edge out Cesc. But there is no doubt in my mind that Cesc will eventually surpass Pirlo and become the better player.

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Scholes for just now. I like most of the players on the list but several require a specific system or partner in order to function to the best of their ability. Not only does Scholes not require that but he combines the playmaking/passing with end product in goals. Despite his age he is still playing superbly, as last season is clear evidence of.

6. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    He's not near as prolific as he used to be though. That's not a slight on him, as he's clearly thriving playing deeper, but he seems hesitant to shoot now and I don't think he'll get many more than the likes of Cesc or Iniesta.

Overall I'd pick Scholes or Pirlo, I don't think I could choose between them. Maybe Pirlo because I'd give him the edge in European performances.

7. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pirlo for me

8. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Pirlo, but I'm biased and no amount of reasoning will work on me.

9. __Dynamite__

__Dynamite__ Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Krusa (Denmark)
    One Pirlo for my club, please.

Thank you.

10. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pirlo now, Cesc tomorrow.

11. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many different systems has Scholes excelled in?

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Countless. He's played deep, box-to-box, wide and in the hole. His performances have been great throughout at the higest level and over his career. They have also been with a variety of different midfield partners. You don't need to play a particular way or with certain players to get the best out of Scholes. The same cannot be said for the majority of that list.

13. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    When did Scholes play out wide? Other than Euro 04, where he wasn't (understandably) all that great.

Edit: Not that it's really relevant, all the guys on the list would be wasted out wide.

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It must have been around 02/03 when we toyed with a 4-3-3 for a while. Scholes nominally played wide left, cutting inside to shoot. I cannot remember how long that lasted because we reverted back to a 4-4-1-1 with Scholes playing in the hole again.

15. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Not all, Iniesta's adapted well playing outside

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Adapted well but it's not his best position, which was the point schafer was making about everyone in the list.

17. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    True, he's still more effective in the mid, but has shown solid performances playing out wide for both Spain and Barca

18. AC30

AC30 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Columbus OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If I were building a club from scratch and had to start with one player as the core of my squad, that man would be Andrea Pirlo.

19. lololol

lololol New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Cesc, then follow by Scholes and Pirlo.

I picked Cesc purely based on his form so far this season. For overall career it would be hard choice between Scholes and Pirlo.

20. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Pirlo. None of the others have, had or ever will have all the qualities of Pirlo.