Who do you keep after this season?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, Aug 28, 2013.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The premise here is simple -- Olsen and Kasper don't exist. They may be back, may not, doesn't matter. Who from the current roster would you keep for next year?

Keep:
    Hamid
    Willis
    Jakovic
    Korb
    Riley
    White
    Shanosky
    Martin
    Kemp
    Thorrington
    Kitchen
    Jeffrey
    DeLeon
    Pontius
    Neal
    Silva
    Seaton
    Doyle
    DeRo

Drop:
    Woolard
    Iapichino
    Nyassi
    Porter
    Pajoy
    Saragosa
    Ruiz
    Syamsir
    Townsend

I know some will say "they're all crap, dump them all," but that won't work. You can't blow up a roster completely year after year. You must take the young good-uns, like Silva, Doyle, Kitchen, Jeffrey, Martin, Hamid and/or Willis and keep some roster continuity. My list provides 9 open roster slots to fill -- more than enough to obtain starters and roster depth that could enhance the young guys' development as players.

The two hardest "keeps" were DeRo and Pontius because they are so expensive. I'm not sure how much of a mentor DeRo is and at 35 or 36, you can't rely on him for 90 minutes game in and game out. Pontius just can't stay healthy. I remember when he was drafted, someone compared him to Pat Noonan -- unfortunately that comparison is quite apt, Noonan also was brittle and out of the league before his time. Pontius essentially commands a DP salary, that's a great deal of money to spend on someone as brittle as glass. You dump DeRo and Pontius and you have about 700K in salary freed up.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep:
    Hamid
    Willis
    Dykstra
    Woolard
    Korb
    White
    Shanosky
    Martin
    Kemp
    Thorrington
    Kitchen
    Jeffrey
    DeLeon
    Pontius
    Neal
    Silva
    Seaton
    Doyle
    Townsend

Drop:
    Jakovic
    DeRo
    Riley
    Iapichino
    Nyassi
    Porter
    Pajoy
    Saragosa
    Ruiz
    Syamsir

My list is pretty similar. I swap Jakovic for Woolard because imo you get about the same level of competence for about 200k less.

That leaves 19 players, and I'm not married to all of them. Neal, Townsend, Korb, Kemp - these guys really need to be pushed for a roster spot. Dropping DeRo, Jakovic, Pajoy and Ruiz will get a good amount of room under the cap. That money spread around, spent wisely on quality and maybe there's a playoff team. If they decide to zero in on a couple of players and they don't sign for whatever reason, they're screwing themselves again. They need to target several players, many, many players, so that when one doesn't sign, the other may. I think they may scout like: 'this player is good, let's get him', instead of, 'these are the players we like, let's tell them we are interested and take it from there'. I'm sure that's naive, but definitely a digression, so never mind.

shawn12011 and yabo repped this.
  3. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played this game a few weeks ago. I'm adding a third category, where players are brought into camp for a chance to earn a spot.

Keep
    Hamid (moves to "sell", depending on his contract status)
    Willis
    Jakovic (preferably at a reduced salary if possible)
    Korb (keep only if he finishes strong, if he plays like he has he moves to Camp)
    White
    Shanosky
    Martin
    Kemp
    Kitchen
    Jeffrey
    DeLeon
    Pontius
    Silva
    Seaton
    Doyle
    DeRo

Some of these very young guys you can't say either way, but under contract, you keep them. They might not end up with the 1st team next year.

In camp to earn contract:
    Thorrington
    Neal
    Woolard
    Iapichino (depending on what he does this season)
    Porter
    Saragosa
    Townsend

Drop:
    Riley
    Nyassi
    Pajoy
    Ruiz
    Syamsir

I also expect to have about 10 roster spots to fill. Probably 3 would come out of the "camp" group, another 3 from draft and waiver wire, by the start of the season. 1 or 2 would be other acquisitions. I expect we'll start the season with at least 3 vacant spots on the roster.

Dero, honestly, I can take him or leave him. My guess is we won't find many players better than him, so he's useful to have on the roster. If his salary comes down, no problem. If it stays where it is, and we find a couple players able to fill that gap, I'm happy to trade/waive him.

Unless we win the USOC and get extra cap room and roster spots, then I'd have to be more aggressive earlier.

shawn12011 repped this.
  4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Great thread Griffin ...

I'll break it down by position.

GK
    I'd keep all 3 if possible. Obviously if a good transfer offer comes in for Hamid ...sell him. I'm comfortable with Willis and Dykstra being promoted and finding a new 3rd stringer.

LB
    Keep Kemp.
    Get rid of Iapichino and Woolard. Really need a solid starter here with Kemp as backup

CB
    Keep Jakovic. I'm not super impressed with White and Shanosky but keep them because they don't count against the cap. Obviously we need another starter here

RB
    Keep Riley and Korb. I think between the two of them we should be fine here

LM
    Keep Pontius and Porter. Neal missing an entire season at his age probably should go.

CM
    Keep Kitchen and Jeffrey. I'm not very keen on Thorrington at his age. Saragosa like Neal probably gone ... Obviously would need another solid starter here.

RM
    Keep De Leon. Get rid of Nyassi

F
    Obviously keep Silva and Doyle. I'd welcome De Ro back at a massive paycut. I would think that he should feel like he owes the organization. He got paid over $1 mil over these two years for very little. Ruiz, Pajoy, Townsend and Alam should all definitely go. Maybe you keep Ruiz if you have to as a real cheap wild card.

That leaves us with a starting lineup of

---------------------------Hamid
    Korb-----------Jakovic-----------White-----------Kemp
    DeLeon--------Kitchen----------Jeffrey-----------Pontius
    -----------------Doyle-----------Silva

bench : Willis, Shanosky, Riley, Porter, DeRosario, Ruiz ...
    reserves : Ruiz

That's only 18 players. We'd need to fill about 10 roster spots. We definitely need a starting LB and CB. A starting level CM would be nice to create competition in that area. A target forward would be nice. A left footed winger who can cross would be nice.

5. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    That is a matter of opinion.

I think we need at least 4 new starters (at different positions) and as long as we dump at least 9 of the following players- Porter, Pajoy, Korb, Saragosa, Neal, DeRo, Nyassi, Ruiz, Riley, Townsend and Thorrington- we'll be fine.

NASI GORENG and Boloni86 repped this.
  6. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    how i feel

Keep:
    Hamid
    Willis
    Dykstra
    Doyle
    Silva
    Seaton
    Martin
    Deleon
    Jeffrey
    Kitchen
    Korb
    White
    Neal

Camp:
    Shanosky
    Kemp
    Thorrington
    Ruiz
    Syamsir
    Porter
    Woolard
    Iapichino
    Riley

Drop:
    Pajoy
    DeRo
    Nyassi
    Saragosa
    Townsend

Paycut:
    Pontius
    Jakovic

7. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    To me it mostly depends on what we can bring in rather than starting with cuts, except for the obvious ones. If I get 10 cuts, I cut Pajoy 9 times then Porter :)

asitis, nobletea and NASI GORENG repped this.
  8. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  9. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK -
    Dkstra
    Willis
    Hamid (possibly sell if there is an offer)

D-
    Kemp
    White
    Korb

M-

DeRo at a huge paycut
    Kitchen
    DeLeon
    Silva
    Pontius

F -
    Doyle
    Seaton

That's it.

10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep:
    Willis
    Dykstra
    Korb
    Shanosky
    Kemp
    Martin
    Jeffrey
    Silva
    White
    Kitchen
    Thorrington
    Seaton

Sell (yeah right):
    Hamid

Trade:
    Jakovic
    Pontius
    DeLeon

Dump:
    Riley
    Seaton
    Doyle
    DeRo
    Woolard
    Iapichino
    Nyassi
    Porter
    Pajoy
    Saragosa
    Ruiz
    Syamsir
    Townsend

I feel bad keeping that many. I wouldn't do anything without a new GM and coach.

James

NASI GORENG repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    If we're not going to make any changes at GM or coaching we might as well dump everything we have that is valuable and stockpile some draft picks and allocation money for whenever we do decide to hire someone.

In the mean time we can just bring in a bunch of Kickers players ... I'm sure they can't do worse than what we've been doing so far.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  12. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    why cut seaton?
    he's HG, presumably cheap & young enough to develop
    we def need veterans/starters ahead of him on the chart but i'd say at least keep him for a year or two more

13. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine. Keep him with the kickers.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  14. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    keep the new mods

shawn12011 repped this.
  15. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United

16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    In the past, this was a joke. This year, it merits serious consideration.

17. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Here's my knee-jerk-response...

Keep

Hamid
    Willis
    Korb
    White
    Shanosky
    Martin
    Kemp
    Kitchen
    Jeffrey
    DeLeon
    Pontius
    Silva
    Seaton
    Doyle
    DeRo

Drop
    Jakovic
    Pajoy
    Saragosa
    Syamsir
    Iapichino
    Nyassi
    Porter

Opportunity
    Riley
    Neal
    Ruiz
    Townsend
    Woolard
    Thorrington

18. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    I forgot all about Iapachino. He's the new Poland.

19. cultureman

cultureman Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Hamid, Jeffery , Seaton and Kitchen

20. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I understand being a minimalist but even the the most cynical should include Silva and Doyle ... and most likely Willis.

NASI GORENG and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  21. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    We don't really have a choice with Doyle. If he scores like 1-2 more goals, he'll be recalled or given a chance somewhere else (maybe, I feel likely). You can't plan a roster around players on short loans.

22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    We don't know that. I think a fair offer could keep him here. His club in England wasn't playing him so I doubt they're going to try and block anything. To assume that now suddenly all the scouts in Europe are watching this guy just because he scored a couple of goals at DC is a little hopeful.

It comes down to the player. Does he like being back stateside and getting minutes? Or does he want to gamble again on a European dream. Honestly his best bet in Europe would be to go down a division in England and there he'll likely get more minutes. I'm not sure though that the 3rd tier in England is necessarily more desirable than MLS

23. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    All MLS loans have a prenegotiated buyout amount.

24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, IIRC, we have until December 1 to make a decision on exercising an option to buy. What I don't know is if Doyle himself has any input into the decision. As things are today, if we sign him he is assured of a starter's minutes, which must sound good to a guy Derby County wasn't playing. On the other hand, he's stuck with a crap team. So, do you want to be a big fish in a small pond?

25. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006
    In the drop column -- Porter might be worth giving a chance to develop -- very young. Otherwise, I think you've hit these right. The one question mark I have in the keep column is Korb -- a mystery to me this year, after looking so good last year, and looking good in preseason, too. After watching Jakovic the last two games, I'm basically in agreement with this.

The opportunity section is interesting. Riley has looked pretty good the last month going forward, anyways. If he took a pay cut, he might be worth a spot. Neal ain't great, but I don't see much chance of finding someone better in his role. Ruiz -- I doubt he wants back, but at his salary? I think I'd rather see him get a chance where he might get to play. Townsend? He's not done anything this year, but I wonder if he might have done better with a real midfield and a strike partner. Thorrington -- I like, but I'm not sure if I like him at his current wage. Woolard -- I'm not such a fan, but maybe he's worth keeping for some veteran experience. He's overpaid, but relatively cheap by international standards.