Who do you consider a good candidate as the next nats coach?

Discussion in 'Bolivia' started by 1MADDOG, Feb 4, 2009.

1. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    While Platini has done an "ok" job with our nats, I think we all agree he will likely not hold the helm as the teams manager after his contract is done; unless ofcourse we end up qualifying for the WC or were close to it.

Anyhow, who do you think will manage the nats after Platini is done? Should we outsource or stick to a Bolivian? Come on guys! Lets entertain the notion of speculation!

2. atsegnorts

atsegnorts Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Falls Church
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    my answer is obvious I like Baldi, but i would take a serious look at the following

1. Trucco, i know he was the coach but he didn't get a fair shake, he has played outside of bolivia most of his life and I liked his intentions before he got into a pissing contest with the diregentes

2 Villegas the coach of Universitario. I like what he has done with Tudor and other young players. He has been pretty successful with Univesitario in the last four years winning a title finshing in the top 4 the other 3 he is solid but he lacks international experiance

3 Alvaro Pena, I knew he was in Europe and in a couple of years once this cycles runs it's course he could have the advantage in international experiace, plus I think what he said in his interview is the honest truth about bolivian soccer

3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree with Baldi and Pena.

IMO just based on his statement, Pena knows the deal on whats going on.

And the way Ramallo chewed out the U20 coach, he too would be a good candidate.

Anyone notice we did alot better with Platini watching from the stands and Ramallo as the #1?

Hell etcheverry, but i have yet to hear much about Aucas, beyond that he is paying out of pocket for like injections for players and other medical treatments, he is thinking about leaving as a result.

4. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Before anyone says anything. Just let the name sit and then comment.

Bora Milutinović

5. invein

invein New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    I'd like to see a bolivian as a coach, and if it is, he has to be someone who knows alot about international futbol or has played outside of Bolivia for some time. Or bring in a foreign coach, preferably from Europe who's had some experience in south america. I think Etcheverry, perhaps even regardless of how he does w/ his team will be in as our nt team coach for 2014. If not I'm pretty sure it's going to be within that '94 wc group. Unless platini picks up and does well in the second wc phase.

6. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If money wasnt an issue, and we can get someone who is proven to bring teams to WC's or make them good, Guus Hiddink, straight up. Look at Trinidad and Tobago, Russia in the last Euro Cup, PSV Eindhoven, etc.

7. invein

invein New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    yeap, too many variables we dont' know about though.

8. Che Matador

Che Matador Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Inside the Beltway
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don’t think it has much to do with the quality of a coach. But some of the main reasons people have failed in Bolivia was because of the lack of organization, too many restrictions and all the dicks that run the FBF :). This has caused many respectable foreign coaches to turn their attention away from coaching Bolivia.

9. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    I think the next coach needs to be a big time coach that understands the game completely. Recruiting our stars from the 90's to be coaches isn't going to solve the problem. These dudes were raised to play the game or be captains. There needs to be a more analytical approach. On average, soccer players aren't as anayltical as those who have an educational (collegiate) backround. Coaches can't play or captain a team during a game; they're there to be analytical and decide instantly what subs and styles will work with a given opponent.

With that said, I feel that maybe the assistant coach can be Pena, Baldi, Etch, Ramallo or whomever. If the first coach doesnt work, then let the assistant take over.

The one head coach I really admire, and is very underrated is Bruce Arena. He takes no nonesense. Anybody else would probably be too expensive.

10. vivabolivar

vivabolivar Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well if we put a name in the wish list I think one has risen to the top. Luis Felipe Scolari is now without a job. Released by Chelsea and not with the Portugese team anymore makes him a viable candidate. IS there money for him? probably not but agian a wish list. Prior to Bianchi going back to Boca I would've like to see him as a nat coach. Despite his lack of success in Spain, i have read his blog and what others have said and he is a true teacher of the game, similar to Scolari.

11. MarcoM3

MarcoM3 BigSoccer Supporter

May 14, 2007
    Reyes, Beni
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Guys, don't forget Gustavo Quinteros. He played for the bolivian NT in 1994, knows our soccer, and has turned every team he has coached around. Blooming had not won a championship in decades, and he got them two in a row. Look what he has done with Cholivar in such a small amount of time.
    He is the best in our league. He would be a good NT coach. Platini is garbage, rubish, caca.

12. sergtp

sergtp Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Here is my idea, I really think our assistant should be someone with playing experience like Ramallo or Alvaro Pena. Having said that the Coach has to be someone like Gustavo Quinteros, or Baldivieso. I personally love what Quinteros has done for Bolivar, and I love what Baldi has done for Aurora, plus he has balls to manage the national team. Or hell, put them both there Quinteros as the coach and Baldi as the assistant, now that would be sick! I do have to say though that if we do bring an international coach, it has to be someone that is from europe and knows how fast european game is.

13. atsegnorts

atsegnorts Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Falls Church
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^ Not likely with quinteros/baldi ticket. Baldi's ego is to big, i am baldi's number one supporter to get the head coach job. but .. it would never happen becuase the dirgents know he would but there business on front street the first day. He is just that kind of guy.:)

14. plata20

plata20 New Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baldivieso is not that bad i like his winner mentality that he has but i think that he is still a rockie as a coach quinteros is a rockie 2, i think he play libertadores or sudamericana as a coach n his team end up doing bad. i dont know who else is good from bolivia all the coaches are all rockies n have no idea how to play at an international level i would like to see someone like Jose Pekerman who knows how to work with the young players and allready with experience

15. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree with all that has been said, it is amazing what Quienteros has done, he is a incredible coach.

I too would like to have baldi as our coach but others have said, he isnt safe as far as the PR department goes, he'd air out our trash straight up!

16. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    March is around the corner; maybe a little spring cleaning is just what the FBF needs. Maybe this will wake up the FBF Officials and come about a change for the better.

17. sergtp

sergtp Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bro, that's exactly why I love Baldi, he doesn't take shit from anybody; that and his winning and destroying attitude!

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^Its good to the fans, cause we'd know everything, but overall it isnt taht good in a PR prospective(im a PR major hahahaha). Actaully...It would be a PR disaster if that ever happened.

19. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    BRUCE ARENA. Good soccer players too often don't make good coaches. We need someone that can analyze things in a professional manner. Arena is that guy. The dude is totally under valued.

After Sanchez is done, I don't want to see any more ex-players coaching the national team unless they have extensive experience. I don't mind explayers assisting, but no more then that until they actually qualify.

Playing and coaching are two DIFFERENT fields.

20. MrNiloBraun

MrNiloBraun Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Arena? helllllllllllll no. I think the would be an absolute disaster, does he even speak spanish. He's a decent coach but I think the structure of our futbol is unique and would be his downfall, not to mention it would take major $$$ for him to come coach in Bolivia. The same type of $$$ that we could get a much better coach for. He's a US guy, who knows the US player and structure that is where he will be the most successful. Not Bolivia or any other latin american or euro country for that matter. No thanks.

I really think that it has to be a guy like Quinteros. Someone who knows our futbol in and out and is a proven winner as a coach in our futbol. Scolari, Bianchi, etc are ridiculous, they're not realistic options. We have to be realistic and I'd take a guy like Quinteros over another foreign coach like Acosta any day.

My picks are Quinteros, Baldi, Trucco, but definitely no more ex players with limited or no experience. Sorry etch:eek:

21. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^I agree. No offense to Arena, hes a great coach, from what i read, he really knows how to get his players to play for him and just overall to play! He doesnt know spanish thougn, nor how our league works. IMO hes overrated a tad', had etcheverry never played at DC he would never be who he was cause his succeess was dependent on Marco.

22. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    "Hell No"?? Arena does speak Fluent Spanish. Arena knows how to use technology to his advantage and is among the professional american coaches that use statistical models (SPSS) to gather and help make decisions. It's no secret that many coaches end up being biased, especially latin american ones.

Arena knows how to get the best out of a player. He will bench the best person on a team (as he did with Etch), and will have a team play around the strength of key players of a team (as he did with Etch and Harks). He outsmarted the Mexicans with a unorthadox line up in the 2002 WC, and used the strength of the team to attack the few weak links of the Portugal nats in the same WC. Let's not forget the 98 win against the Copa Libertatodes Champions, that had a team valued 20 times the value of ours. Arena knows how to win.

As for Etcheverry, prior to DC United, wasn't Etch riding a Bench somewhere in Columbia? Etch was never the focal point of the NATS after our SPANISH coaches left. Etch did not solely provide success to Arena. Bruce was highly regarded as the top US COLLEGE coach in America. Not to mention he had the US National team playing very aggressive consistant soccer for the first time. (Steve Sampson liked offensive soccer, but it was sporatic) Bruces style was perfect for Etch and Moreno. Again, Arenas style is to expose the strength of a given team. Trust me, this dude is purely underrated.

We have never had a successful Bolivian coach. How is Trucco doing? I would hate for him to be hired simply because he has "experience". Experience is important, but we need a coach with a successful backround. Baldi had a dream start as a coach, but we all saw the pounding he took in international competition. The team sucked ass!

I don't think because somebody is BOlivian, they won't fair well, but the truth is we need someone with a winning backround in international competition.

23. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC

You should do your research before making accusations. He had (still does) the best record record of any college coach before MLS, and is known to get the best out of players, and to play at a teams given strength; not a style a coach may favor. Plus, the dude scored a million points with me cause he uses SPSS to make analytical decisions. Never Biased.

Dude, just read my other post. I'm tired.

24. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I dunno, im not convinced. Bruce IMO just gets lucky with good players. Why did they fail at the 06'WC? He had his favorites, such as mcbride who was past his prime, and they missed out on letting other forwards who were younger to get a shot.

How about his move to NY? And his Favorite' Reyna who was also past his prime, but he got him a million dollar contract who by many has been the BIGGEST DP bust for the MLS so far.

I rather have Guus Hiddink WHO might i add is now at Chelsea, but said for him it isnt about the money, more so the challange to make a team awsome or better. Like he did with T&T, and with Russia at the Euro 2008.

I think he would love the challange that is bolivia. He could very well be our next Bigoton.

25. sergtp

sergtp Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I like your idea on Guus Hidink Fuego, but as a Bolivian, one can only dream...............................(ahhhhhhhhhhhhh)