Who can play back-up left back? ~ if you play Dest on the right

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although, I firmly believe that Dest is going to have to play some left back duty, his primary position is still on the right. Even though we believe our depth is great at right back, the quality of that depth is not world class. So, there is a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul if we move Dest to the left. And the ideal should be to keep Dest on the right, if we are able.

That said, we need options on the left. We cannot have a field position where we only have one legitimate player (Antonee Robinson) who can play that position. There are always injuries, suspensions, restrictions, and poor form. It’s a horrible idea to box yourself in where you cannot bench a starter.

But who can play left back? Who could fight to be a legitimate contender for that back up spot? - and it wouldn’t devastate the starting XI?

Discussion:
    • Sergino Dest - de facto until someone allows him to just play on the right.
    • Tim Ream - he’s getting way too old, way too fast. He probably could be a factor in WCQ, but you have to believe he’s so old that he’ll be a disaster waiting to happen in the World Cup.
    • Kik Pierie - It seems like he’s still holding out for Holland; which is a shame, because I doubt he’ll ever crack their line up and he would instantly become our number two left back - permanently knocking off Tim Ream.
    • Sam Vines - At first, I had reason to not be that high on Vines. But I was very impressed in the January Camp. Then he went on to drop a stinker at Olympic qualification. I’m afraid that he’s not going to have the goods to be a international caliber defender.
    • George Bello - He’s still a bit raw, and there’s no club in the world more stingy with call ups than Atlanta United. But he has the most upside of any prospect that we have, who could be a difference maker by the end of the year, if he has a big year.
    • Chris Richards - Secretly, he might be becoming the best option, even if his long term future is at center back. He’s playing in that LCB position. He moves well enough, defends well enough, and strikes the ball well enough. If we wanted to start one of Miazga, McKenzie, Long, etc. next to Brooks - this would be a good option.
    • Kelyn Acosta - Acosta was flirting with the “I can play left back, coach” awhile back, even if he has become more of a midfielder in recent years. As a guy who could sneak on as the 23rd man, he could do so by proving his versatility.
    • Paul Arriola - Although he’s a rightie, Arriola is two-footed enough and hard working enough that he might could hold the fort down for a game or two. He’s another guy that if he could prove that if he could back up that left back spot, he could sneak into the final roster.
    • Convert one of Bryan Reynolds, DeAndre Yedlin, Tim Chandler, or Reggie Cannon - Can anyone of these guys use their left foot?

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Left back depth is currently
    Dest
    Robinson
    Vines
    Ream and Richards can play as auxiliary CBs.

More options will appear during the Summer.