Who are the favorites to win the WC 2022?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by MIGkiller, Mar 31, 2021.

?

Who will win in 2022?

1. Germany

19 vote(s)
    11.2%
  2. France

33 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Brazil

54 vote(s)
    32.0%
  4. Argentina

36 vote(s)
    21.3%
  5. Portugal

17 vote(s)
    10.1%
  6. Spain

10 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. England

14 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Netherlands

16 vote(s)
    9.5%
  9. Italy

5 vote(s)
    3.0%
  10. Belgium

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  11. Other

24 vote(s)
    14.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    OK that I disagree with. In what way have they declined since June 2021? Maybe a little bit but not a noticeable amount.

2. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Several players are not in form anymore. Even though Belgium on their can day can still play some of the best attacking football out there they look much less energetic going forward than in 2018.

You could also see that at the EUROs.

The defense is garbage and it screams to finally get exposed by teams who know what they are doing. Wales and Poland weren't capable to do that.

Believe it or not but I think Morocco will score 2-3 goals on these guys. So will Croatia.

Just wait for the World Cup to start and you will l see why I was all the time so down on Belgium. They are a far cry of that 2018 team.

3. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Apart from having a tactically inept manager in Southgate .. currently England don’t have one exceptional defender or CB ..

Plus virtually every England player is out of form .. Bellingham is in form and Saka just showing good signs along with Foden and Grealish . The rest are all struggling

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  4. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    WHAT?????

Kyle Walker, John Stones, Harry Maguire?

5. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I see what you mean, but I think their attack is still fire power. I do expect them to concede quite a bit in the group stage, but they will also score a lot.

Don't look too much into the Nations League. Many teams use that to experiment and do not necessarily perform at their strongest.

Some people say they expect Croatia to top Belgium in the group, but I wouldn't go that far. Croatia is developing a new team but they aren't there yet and still need time. Their attack is not the same without Mandzukic. They do seem to have some young promising players, but aren't at full potential yet.

I expect Belgium to top and Croatia to go through as runners up.

6. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Exactly Stones is usually ok for England but he’s made of glass

7. I think that's not true, because Liverpool's midfield is without Wijnaldum and in this current set up quality wise a liability in which the Liverpool defense/Virgil van Dijk has to cover far too much space to be effective.

8. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I don't think it's due to Wijnaldum having left. Gini left before last season, and VvD was just fine in 2021-22.

Some Liverpool fans speculate that Virgil is not going 100% because he wants to avoid injury before the World Cup. If that's the case, I'm sure he's not the only one. I can think of some other players who look like they are doing that.

9. Just take a look at the ratings for the Liverpool midfield the last few games. They suck and it makes the defense having to cover a larger part of the pitch.

10. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I don’t disagree with that, but you specifically cited Wijnaldum. It can’t be due to his departure, because VvD was his usual superlative self last year without Gini.

Kamtedrejt and Cosmin10 repped this.
  11. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I'm very close to finalise my grade list.

But one thing is for certain.

I watched hundreds of prediction videos and I follow social media.

Argentina are for me given the hype they receive the most overrated team among the top teams in the world.

Portugal on the other hand constantly get overlooked. They are for me the most underrated team among the powerhouses.

I don't have any preference for any of these national teams nor for Messi or Ronaldo.

It's just my two cents.

12. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Who are the favourites this year?

- Brazil
    - Portugal
    - Netherlands
    - France (high risk of flopping but if they turn up you have to consider them)

Who is in with a shot?

- Spain

From the outside looking in are:

- Argentina
    - England
    - Croatia
    - Denmark

The rest doesn't stand a chance.

If I was a betting man I would hedge my bet on one of the top five listed nations here. They are the only sides I can imagine as World Champions in Qatar.

13. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Germany is not in your "Outside list" ? Shocking
    How can you ignore the 4 * World Champs ?

14. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #1314 Kamtedrejt, Oct 12, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    They don't look good at all. No good chemistry upfront and some big holes in midfield and defense. They lack composure and miss still too many chances. Won only a single game out of six in the Nations League.

Germany are in complete transition phase still. They don't even snif the World Cup final as far as I'm concerned.

I see them in big trouble already in their group with Spain and Japan. Two teams who have the means to expose Germany hard (especially the former) if Flick doesn't change up things a bit. Musiala has to start in any way.

15. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Brazilians will definately feel happy about my words on Germany.

I know for a fact that Brazilians are scared of Germany because of the 7-1 tragedy.

It's true that a Germany with good chemistry is usually a tough match up for Brazil but Germany isn't there (yet).

Even if I'm wrong and they get out of their group I see quarterfinals as their max.

16. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, if they both win their groups, quarter-finals for Germany would be against Brazil.

Would Brazilian team be intimidated? Probably not. No players left from the 2014 team. Not even Neymar, as he was injured and missed the match.

BocaFan repped this.
  17. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't really agree that Brazil is scared of Germany . After the 7-1. Brazil beat Germany in the Olympics ( Although its not the same stage in terms of importance but still )

brasileiragem, Cosmin10 and Paul Calixte repped this.
  18. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    OK. But you are scared of France. I'm not sure even how France will do but IF they make it to the final and face Brazil I'm all in on France.

19. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pls someone correct me if i am wrong but I think after 1998 Brazil always start trembling when they play France. Now after the 7-1 i guess the same thing is happening when they face Germany

20. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Unfortunately I have to agree with you on this point ( France is living in Brazil's head rent free from 1998 onwards )

21. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh... I know that opinions on the UEFA Nations League vary significantly, but neither Germany nor France exactly covered themselves in glory.

If anything, Brazil should be much more concerned with the likely nasty run-in they'll have in the R16, with (barring upsets) either the old foe Uruguay or a Portugal side that's a true dark horse on paper if Santos can kick his addiction to circling the wagons.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  22. RonaldoHexa

RonaldoHexa Member

Bahia
    Brazil
    Feb 26, 2018
    Brazil is going to exorcise all of its demons in Qatar. This is going to be our ultimate redemption. We will be serving eviction notices while telling the other guys to hold our Caipirinha.

Second Round - Uruguay
    Quarters - Germany
    Semis - Argentina
    Final - France

Well, at least that's how it's going to be if we don't lose to Portugal in the second round (BIG IF). In that case, redemption would turn into despair, I would book a one-way flight to Rishikesh, and start practicing yoga instead of football.

brasileiragem and Hayaka repped this.
  23. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Argentina match vs Brazil will be super tough because messi will be desperate like hell to get hold of that trophy for one last time. Moreover Argentina this time is a very strong team

Christina99 and Cosmin10 repped this.
  24. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Brazil would walk over Uruguay. Win by at least 3 goals. No team in South America is a contest for Brazil other than Argentina right now.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Opinions may vary on the significance of Nations League results, but if France reach the WC final we will all be in agreement that the NL results meant nothing wrt France.

I think that's essentially the point being made above.

Hayaka repped this.