Who are the Baltimore Orioles of English football

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by superdave, Sep 8, 2002.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Baltimore Orioles are a baseball team that should be one of the more successful clubs. They are way up there in terms of income and payroll.

But their management spend that money very stupidly, and they suck. They have been sucking for a while, and they will probably suck for the foreseeable future.

2. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. type_32

type_32 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    "Who are the Baltimore Orioles of English football?"

By this you mean, "Who has the second-best record in all of England over the past 4 decades", right?

4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This may come as a great surprise to you Dave but I doubt that any supporter from England of the EPL has heard of the Baltimore Orioles or that other team you mentioned. (I assume that they’re baseball teams) If they have you can bet that they don’t care a hairy rats arse.
    Why don’t you take it to the MLS board, I’m sure you’ll get a response there…!!!

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Who are the Baltimore Orioles of English football

Which is why I wrote this
    See? Even if you don't know about the Orioles, I told everyone what I'm wondering about.

6. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle

7. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Chelsea.

Washington Redskins and New York Rangers for American football and hockey repectively.

As for the Oriole snob - yeah, they were good 20+ years ago, but they've underachieved like no other team under Angelos, particularly over the last six or so years despite everything he's spending. The Yankees are the most storied baseball team of all time, yet THEY were this team 10-15 years ago until Steinbrenner learned how to spend his money right, so get over it!

8. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    A number of options:

Man Ure: For Jim Palmer, read David Beckham. Both great players, both spend half their lives trying to look pretty.

Man City: For Cal, read Stuart Pearce.

Derby County: For the (financial) reasons you gave. For Camden Yards, read Pride Park.

Brighton: For soft shelled crabs, read crabs (everybody's got 'em in Brighton).

Surrey County Cricket Club: Read Baltimore Colts. Their local football team (Wimbledon) is about to disappear into the night, too.

9. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LOL!

This is up for debate?

It's Chelsea. Of course it's Chelsea. Who else could it be?

10. type_32

type_32 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Uhhh...I am over it. I was joking. Try it--you might like it.

11. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has there ever been a English footy team that got screwed by some little snot nosed punk running out in front of the goalie as he was about to make a save, picking up the ball and throwing it into the net, and the refs miss it?? Then, that little punk becomes a media darling, only because it happened in New York, where anything goes...while if it happened in Baltimore to the Yankees, he would have been villified by the media for ruining the game!!

Then, the team that gets that break, wins the Premiereship thanks to that fan interference.

Has that happened? Because that team is the O's of English footy. :)

12. Random

Random New Member

May 20, 2002
    N4 again
    Chelsea. No question.

13. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think so, but I have been to a match where Reading were 2-1 down in the last minute and a shot that was going wide was turned in by a Reading fan who jumped over the wall - and because many of the 4,500 Reading fans at Bournemouth that day had such a poor view they couldn't tell and there was a celebratory pitch invasion (it was last day of the season and we were champions). After much confusion the referee gave a goal kick, but the results service CEEFAX had already given the goal. Oddly that disallowed goal wasn't deemed worthy of being on the match highlights on TV that evening.

14. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    [​IMG] Watch it bub... [​IMG]

15. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have to say Man City are the O's of the EPL.

Both teams had enjoyed success in the late 1960's & early 1970's but their history since apart from the odd FA Cup or World Series trophy has been a disappointing one. Infinitely jealous of their rivals (ManYoo and the Yanks, respectively), they both have decent fan bases but little in the trophy cabinet of note in recent years.

16. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Re: Re: Re: Who are the Baltimore Orioles of English football

Good answer:)
    We've got a couple of asses (arseholes) on the Beautiful Game board going on about US football.
    And you bringing the latest on baseball, makes me wonder why you just don't find a nice corner you can all bugger off to and argue among youselves and not inflict the two most boring games on others. Or do you feel that misery loves company..;)

17. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    I would say Everton or Man City. They both have the potential to be very big clubs but never seem to make it and are dominated by their neighbours Liverpool and Man Utd.

18. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    Damn people get over yourselves. I thought it was a properly placed question especially for those who have spent a lifetime in the US and are new to the Premiership. That said, Chelsea!

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Who are the Baltimore Orioles of English football

I'll check that out.

Here's the thing about gridiron. There's a rhythm to it, with the "4 downs to get 10 yards" rule around which the game revolves. That rhythm is very, very seductive. It's ideal for TV. And I (and many others) enjoy it because it has the most passionate fans. There's an atmosphere to a typical NFL game that isn't matched in a typical NBA or pro baseball game.

In so many ways, soccer and gridiron are opposites. But in that one way, the way in which the passion of the fans carries the experience, they're the same.

20. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Who are the Baltimore Orioles of English football

I really hope you're an Englishman living in WA. If not, there's no excuse for your faux-English slang you're perpetrating.

21. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    >We've got a couple of asses (arseholes) on the Beautiful Game board going on about US football

:rolleyes:

He's only proving his own point :)

22. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Agreed. It's perfectly acceptable thread subject. If you are so uptight that you can't stand even the smallest discussion on sports that YOU personally don't like, then get a life and move on to things that intersest you.

23. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, but he has got a point. I mean, American football!! Jesus H Wept, it's the daftest pursuit ever devised by man. And I say that as someone from the country that gave cricket to the world. I happened to be in New York for the 1999 Superbowl and went to one of those "Superbowl parties" you lot all seem to have for the occasion. It consisted of 12 people all sitting in the kitchen stuffing their faces and boozing whilst about 2 people sat in the Lounge actually watching the game. The rest of us would rush in an out to catch the latest commercials that are premiered during the game.

I don't even remember who was playing, or who won, or where it took place.

Now, can you imagine that scenario on FA Cup Final day?

(Yes, yes, I'm sure it's great really ... :D )

24. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Superbowl parties, generally, are torturous. A large group of people who rarely watch the regular season, then get together to discuss clothes and gossipp while a few stare drunkenly at the TV.

I was referring to this thread, and it's purpose of showing new premier league fans the identity and personality of certain clubs by comparing them, quite well, to American professional sporting teams that they already know about. It's a perfectly acceptable thread for these boards and anyone who doesn't think so is just being a football/soccer snob.

25. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    P.S. Go Cowboys

P.S.S. Go Giants (S.F., that is)