Who are the 20 Pulisics?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by thedukeofsoccer, Apr 12, 2019.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few months ago Taylor Twellman reported it was relayed to him by front office members of European big clubs that there would be 20 Pulisics on the horizon that America would produce.

We've already seen some very promising young Americans emerge from our system and abroad. But if you had to pin it down to 20 starlets, who would they be?

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Efrain Alvarez, Pomykol, Ferriera, Pepi, Roberts, Aaronson, Carleton, Busio. just off the top of my head. Really depends on what he means by 20 Pulisics and what age to be considered. Not sure any have his level though although a few may get there.

3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    A few of these are reaches if we are truly talking about Pulisic's class, but there are also many names like Leyva, Araujo, Palomino, Acosta, etc. who could theoretically rise very quickly that are left out.

The Obvious
    1. Sargent
    2. McKennie
    3. Adams
    4. Weah

The MLS Breakouts with Potential
    5. Mihailovic
    6. Pomykal
    7. Efra
    8. Aaronson
    9. Bassett
    10. Mckenzie
    11. Durkin
    12. Sands

The Abroad Standouts Not Quite First Team Ready
    13. Konrad
    14. Dest
    15. Richards
    16. Ledezma
    17. Mendez
    18. Llanez
    19. Soto

The Talent is There
    20. Carleton
    21. Fuentes
    22. Roberts
    23. Booth
    24. Ferreira

The Next Wave
    25. Las
    26. Reyna
    27. Busio
    28. Pepi
    29. Bello
    30. Scally

The likelihood of 20 of these players turning out to be at Pulisic's level within a couple of years is very slim, but I could easily see a handful with another handful in the discussion. I think 15 Europa level or higher players around the age of 20-22 is possible within a coupe of years, but 20 Champions League caliber players is a big stretch.

thedukeofsoccer, Luksarus and KUSA77 repped this.
  4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd presume they mean players on Pulisics level, or at the very least make the rotation at a pretty big club as he did. Otherwise what would be the point of the statement? We have kids transfer to the youth teams of major leagues in Europe all the time.

You could argue Adams and McKennie are already at Pulisic's level. They'd count in my book.

Pulisic has not put up an insurmountable standard. He emerged early, showed to be a bright young player, but ultimately stagnated to only become a rotation guy and spark off the bench at BVB.

20 may be a hyperbolic over-correction, but 10+ seems very within reach, especially given all the teen attackers and early 20's defensive-oriented players showing promise domestically right now and to a lesser extent abroad.

Sargent, Weah, Aaronson, Reyna, Pepi, Mendez, De La Fuente, Richards, Ledezma, Alvarez, Dest, etc. all very realistically could have around the same career. Maybe a Robinson, Mueller, or Marcinkowski could back door excellence with time and opportunity. I don't like writing anybody off as a difference maker simply because they went to college like Dempsey, Pope, or Friedel in the past.

Eighteen Alpha and Winoman repped this.
  5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took it to mean in MLS. Was he referring to 20 anywhere? Makes a big difference. I don't remember the exact quote.

6. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    There’s 0% chance 15 of those players will be Europa league level. Lol. Lol.

7. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    In another 2 years? Five of them already are (including Pulisic).

deejay and frankburgers repped this.
  8. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    I should’ve said “Europa league level in a decent league”
    Just going on history, so many will be a bust in that list. Unfortunately.
    But that would be amazing if you’re right!

9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Approaching this a different way, look at all the guys who would now be on a list of 20 that nobody even discussed when this quote was made (during the England friendly?). I follow this probably closer than 99.4% of the fans listening to that broadcast and I would not have put these names down last November:

Mihailovic
    Pomykal
    Sands
    Busio
    Bassett
    M. Robinson
    Vines

I had heard about them but they seemed to have stalled or hadn't lit up anything. They have all taken a big step forward just this past month!

These guys I had not heard about at all at that time:

Aaronson
    Fuentes
    Pepi
    Leyva
    Cerillo
    Cappis

That is 11 guys that nobody really expected much from that everyone now expects big things from. It is interesting that they are mostly MLS and, for whatever reason, MLS now is interested in. We might see a similar wave of break throughs at the start of the next Euro season.

You add 8-15 kids emerging in MLS from nowhere to the elite talent already plucked and in Europe:

Konrad
    Dest
    Richards
    Ledezma
    Mendez
    Llanez
    Soto
    Booth
    Amon
    Weah
    Sargent
    Reyna
    Hoffman
    Gloster

And you can get to 20 easy. Sure, most can't be expected to make it. But for every name up there there are 3-5 more in Europe we hear even less about than a guy like Bassett in Colorado. Watts, Gaines, Akale, Lederman, Stroud, Ferri, Jones, Young, Vassilev, etc. Maybe they are all not going to make it, but I bet there are a couple of Duane Holmes/Aaron Long/Tyler Boyd types among all that diaspora that emerge late. I bet a few emerge in 6 months.

A guy like Pynadath, is sort of in between those two groups.

There are also some guys in MLS that we do hear about but haven't broken through yet like the ones above:

Mckenzie
    Durkin
    Carleton
    Roberts
    Ferreira
    Bello
    Scally

Then there is another ton of kids just like these at the U17 level. Kids like Dantouma Toure, Nyeman, Las, AOC, etc.

I do think we are just seeing the first results of the professionalization of youth soccer in the USA. The same process that Germany did and the other UEFA nations followed 10-15 years ago.

don Lamb and Winoman repped this.