Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    At the end of the year he's gone for zero so they got something for him and more if DC re-sign him. It's a good move.

Players like Dajome are what the Caps need more of. While not as flashy or perhaps offensively minded he is a true 2 way player and his performances of late made an already expendable Yordy a gonner.

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    and ali adnan cant be far behind- i just dont see him going to a major tier 1 league

still lots of holes to fill to truly be competitive- sure, we won vs RSL, but really it was more guts and RSL missed opportunities than competence on the field- our MF is still the weakest in MLS- its hard to see the Caps- at present- being that fortunate over a season

i agree that dajome and bikel are decent players, millinkovic is playing like he really wants to stay, jake is jake (gives 100%, but his far post play is still an achilles heel), hasal hasnt got good hands, teibert is the energy bunny but should be a sub, owusu is a sub quality, bair should go to CPL

add 4 MLS-quality decent players (RB, pacey winger, and 2 in MF) and we go up a notch- we all know the players wont be earth-shattering, but at least we can hope that MDS (if he is still around) will finally get it right for 2021

gotta wonder how long montero can play at this level

3. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    MDS can not come back next season. That would be a very bad move on Axel's part because then he sends a message he is more of the same / status quo type of guy and that will end in a bad place for him in a year or two.

4. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Disagree. Keep him for his third year and if we aren't in the playoff picture by the halfway point then replace him. Makes no sense to do an end of season replacement. Not enough time for the new hire to be identified, signed and familiarised with MLS. A mid-season "adjustment" makes more sense as it gives more time.

5. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    What exactly do you think will get better in the 2021 season with MDS? We have had 1 and 2/3rds seasons, multiple transfer windows, a long list of players that needed to be shipped out or will be shipped out. A 3 year build is great, but he already blew it on at least a dozen players, that kills your chance at a rebuild.

THe season doesn't start again until February or March , plenty of time to get ready.

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    after being a determined MDS supporter, i now think its best to cut bait and have an interim coach- when MDS benched montero- his best player over the last 2 games- he lost me; for a professional athlete to be too tired or whatever is just a lame excuse - also his MF formation turned out to be disaster and LAFC's MF ran rampant and set up their strikers for easy goals - teibert would have at least been more involved and dedicated to the game than bikel was; owusu is just not good enough

and his 2 young CBs- veselinovic and khmiri- are just not good enough for MLS- they leave too much for cornelius to cover

of course, finding a quality new coach will be a challenge, what with the growing knowledge that the Caps leadership (owners and FO) are incompetent, cheap, disinterested and lack integrity- what quality coach would want to come to this mess ??

but changing the coaching staff is the right decision - maybe nick dasovic??

7. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    And the search continues for that big time midfield stud. I've seen enough of Owusu to determine that he is a one-season-and-done-in-MLS type. Bikel, though as awful as the rest of the team vs LAFC, for me still needs some more games to make a final determination. Baldi was not good defensively in his sub appearance vs RSL and had a really poor defensive display vs LAFC so he really needs to up his game in that area. I got a kick out of The Province interview with Montero where the Colombian striker said that a midfielder who passes backwards and sideways continually is not the midfielder for him, so basically throwing shade at his team captain, Teibert. Metcalfe is a squad guy here until he gets signed by a CPL club. I just can't wait for the big signing of Kyle Bekker in the near future. Hip hip hooray!

This awful result was the cherry on the sh*t sundae for a club which made a big announcement of "organizational restructuring" that made them became more top heavy in FO personnel. Nothing says commitment to on-field quality like hiring another corporate bean counter or two instead putting the cash into, I don't know, uh...BETTER PLAYERS!!!!! (I'm channelling my Lewis Black right now).

8. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #2083 OldFan2015, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Well, their announcement was even more funny because they haven't filled the positions. They just announced they were creating them. And if you look at the titles, they seem pretty much just people to take some workload off of Lewis's desk. Axel is an absolute yes man and that will not bode well for his reputation as a "CEO". They may never fill them; could have just been another thought that it would prevent some cancellations as new payments began again the week they announced it. 'HEY WE ARE SERIOUS THIS TIME"

Montero throwing a shot at the TEAM CAPTAIN publicly is very unprofessional. He is right (Teibert is Mr Passback), but still, its no wonder the team is in shambles. The players do not have chemistry or are a tight unit. That happened under Carl too (big divisions in the locker room in his last season). They just keep picking players that are cheap, within MLS salary, free transfers, etc. Their international signings are almost always underperformed.

As I always say, "if Player X has this much talent, and are a FREE, there is a reason", if Player Y is in his prime yet playing in a lower tier league, there is a reason".... and so forth.

Its funny but frustrating all at the same time. Kerfoot is one of the worst owners of the major sports we have had in my life time in this city; obviously Skalbania and Stadnyk are lower than him, but he is a D- since they entered MLS.

he sure made a ton of money off this thing via the expansion fees, and more to come whenever he sells it off. Sad he didn't see fit to make a better product in appreciation of making all that money. It has been a great return for him financially so far and very good when he sells.

if he even took a quarter of the expansion money over the years and allow that to be spent on a salary for two upper mid tier DP (the 2.5 million to 3 million salary range) contracts each season; and good management and coaching of the salary cap funds, we could have had a fantastic club. And he would have made more money with ticket sales, merch, and so forth.

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Vancouver is such a great soccer market and doesnt deserve to be damaged any longer with this group of owners- its time for MLS brass to step, much like they did in columbus, chicago, DC and are probably doing in houston

10. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    TIME TO EVALUATE: what players should or will be here for 2021 ?

A, GOOD ENOUGH FOR MLS AND DEFINITE: C+, B level (we have no A level players, the closest being cava with proper service)

B level- cavallini, crepeau
    C+- cornelius, hasal, dajome, montero, godoy, milinkovic, teibert (Mr Whitecap
    says it all),

B. PROBABLY SHOULD BE HERE: but MLS-quality C, C- players or young enough to warrant another year to develop

bikel, baldisimo, ricketts, gutierrez, nerwinski, khimiri (only because he has 2 years remaining on a contract), raposo (CPL loan), rose, bair (CPL loan ?)

C. SHOULD NOT BE HERE:

owusu, veselonovic, meredith, adnan

D. HAVENT SEEN THEM PLAY SO WTHKs:

boehmer, colyn, facchinerri, metcalfe, pecile, mukubilmwa,

E. FIRST TEAM COACHING STAFF:

all should be gone, except the goalie coach

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    F. 100% SHOULD BE GONE: (no debate)

the ownership group, greg anderson, rachel lewis

UNKNOWN QUALITY- after 1 year, if axel schuster's best so far impact has been looking for 2 FO staff, then is he really going to be a FO game-changer for the Club?? it should all be about the team on the field - firing/loosing pannes was probably the owners' biggest mistake for 2020

G. THE UNFORTUNATES: the ST ticket sales people as there wont be enough interest to warrant most staying

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    and i realize that teibert is a C to C- MLS player but his history and passion for the Caps provides a historical perspective which moves him to a C+

13. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    You mean the historical perspective of one win, one draw, and three losses in three playoff match ups in this club's MLS era?

You know what provides better historical perspective in a playoff championship league? Winning, consistently. That does.

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i get your point and i agree- i just have a difficult time seeing rusty being lopped off the team that he bleeds for - he has been part of the Caps in all his professional career

would you cut him or trade him ?? i wouldnt

15. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    He's a depth guy/occasional starter, a guy who can do a job and so is very important to have in any good team. He's just not a starter for me in role he has been played.

He has a tremendous engine and attitude on the field and is diligent with his duties but has limitations (as passive-aggressively noted by Montero, regardless of how dick-ish his comments look).

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    MLS runs a cap. With 30 players you have to have some lower paid guys, bench guys, depth guys. There is no need to cut him. I would rather lose with him on the pitch than lose with the endless revolving door of international signings that don't pan out that we have been subjected too under Carl, MDS, and now Axel. The Axel era already has multiple signings that are unlikely to pan out or underperforming their contract. He can say he is pissed off all he wants, but he has not been any better at the international signings.

17. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    No place for sentimentality in pro sports man. NONE. All those players who are serviceable journeymen types (Russ) should be kept if they don't count against the salary cap. A lot of them stay because their salary is not counted. I'm okay with that. They fill a role but it shouldn't be starter role to the extent that some are.

18. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    So our keeper from MTL is has 3 years left on his contract at 400k per year. This is brutal. They can't carry that level of salary for a backup. If they keep him and ship out Crepeau that is absolutely mind blowingly foolish. Why take a guy who is on the back end of his career over a guy just entering his prime.

Owosu and Dajome both look like they are not up to the task and their salaries/fees are rather high.

Axel is looking no better than MDS as far as player ideas.

19. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I'd like to see the fine print to the Buch deal as well. Got to be a "one year loan" type where we pay. I can't see us taking the whole thing on.

20. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    From all I have read or seen it seems it was a straight up trade and the Caps take on his full contract.

I am not down on Bush. He is a fine keeper. It just is a strange move to bring in your "stop gap" measure on a 3 year term with that kind of money when it should not be your starter next year. Especially his age versus Crepeau's age

Time will tell, but this may be an issue next year.

21. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    In the off season, you should offer to trade Crepeau to TFC in return for Liam Fraser.

Crepeau is a good goalie, a Canadian, and would be able to complete his "collect the whole set" of Canadian MLS teams.

Fraser would be a rock solid midfield anchor for you whereas at TFC he's stuck behind team captain Bradley in the depth chart.

22. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fraser has a good future, I believe. He may surpass an aging Bradley soon enough but I agree that he could be of help to Vancouver now.

23. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Personally I'd like to see Fraser gradually replace Bradley so that, at the end of Bradley's contract in two and a half more years, it's all Fraser. A graph of playing time would look like the letter X.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  24. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Very interesting Idea. The only problem is we need a Max level keeper AND a Fraser level DM so I would not want to trade one for the other.

25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    if the Caps can make decent $$$$$ from selling crepeau, they will do it - the bottom line about this franchise and its weak, devious, lying owners is that its all about money, money, money

if they can make more money from selling crepeau- Soccermarkt have him priced at almost $2 mill - which i think might be in-play- then the bush trade makes sense-- and maybe evan is willing to renegoiate his contract to blow montreal and riding the pine ? it could be a loan, but i dont think so or the Caps and montreal would have said so- this is a 1 year plus 9 games purchase for the Caps- the Impact unload his contract which is a decent return in itself (almost $300 K USD)- the Impact also get some TAM which should be minimal

FYI- bush's contract ends dec 31, 2021- he will be the trainer/teacher for hasal when crepeau moves prior to 2021

thats what i think is in -play