Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Whitecaps 2012 Roster [IN: Le Toux; TRIAL: Tercios]

Yup.

It's honestly hard for me to tell, since I've never seen how he was for Philadelphia. Against NASL-quality opposition he's amazing, but I feel like his position is the one where you get the least idea how he'd do at a higher level. The reactions I saw to his departure from the Union, though, suggest that he was well-liked there, which has me fairly optimistic about how he can do in MLS now after having had a little extra time to grow as a player.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We love Brad Knighton here in Utah. When he started for the Revs, we scored 6 on him. Bring him on!

3. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Re: Whitecaps 2012 Roster [IN: Le Toux; TRIAL: Francis, Cregg]

[​IMG]

That's some impressive vertical by Mattocks.

4. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Whitecaps 2012 Roster [IN: Le Toux; TRIAL: Francis, Cregg]

[​IMG]
    Mitchell's got pretty good springs too--saw that last year in the few games he played at the end. Nice to see Mattocks, especially since the WC were woeful in the air last year, especially in front of the opposition's goal. I saw the coaching staff had them doing crossing/heading drills first thing here in training camp.

5. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Whitecaps 2012 Roster [IN: Le Toux; TRIAL: Suley]

According to the club's official Twitter, Nuru Suley is trialling.

It's hard to tell the overall skill level of the players in this video, but WOW! Suley is a monster in the DM role in this vid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxQVuPwh3ho"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxQVuPwh3ho[/ame]

6. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Looks like a very athletic, but raw talent. I wonder how he's been making out against proven MLS offensive threats like Le Toux, Hassli and Camilo, and against the speed of someone like Mattocks (?) Has anyone seen this guy at practice back here in Burnaby?

7. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Interesting tidbit about Suley: He's a Tommy Soehn find. See the clip below for Rennie's comments:

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012/02/caps-back-vancouver

With the latest about the WC looking at Barry Robson and Bentley from the EPL, it'll be interesting who actually ends up here. Robson and Bentley would, at first glance, seem to be the fruits of Rennie's Christmas visit to the UK.

8. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Caps have reportedly signed Barry Robson from Free Transfer, joining up in May. Massive signing imho... and just the guy to play havoc maker in our midfield... good left peg, will be an asset off of setpieces and corners also.

9. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

True. But another offensive player. I'm still wondering who'll anchor the midfield defensively so these guys all have a free hand to go forward. I hope Davidson's as good as Rennie seems to think. Koffie's good, but he showed last year he needs help in the middle. I'm still waiting on a major defensive CM signing before I feel confident in the coming year. It'll be tough making the playoffs with the new format.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doesn't John Thorrington play d-mid? If he can keep healthy I think he is a great player.

11. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Thorrington's more the offensive CM. Plus with his injury history and age, I don't see him playing 90 mins all year. Part of the reason he gets injured I think is he's a really aggressive player, but pretty small.

12. Ded�

Ded� New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Robson does a little of everything, he's precisely the player the Whitecaps were missing.

He makes them stronger offensive, and defensively.

This is a brilliant addition for the Whitecaps.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Those weren't all on him, that for sure.

Knighton showed some promise. Good shot stopper but I think his weakness is going to ground. He is pretty slow and his positioning is suspect

14. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only did the Whitecaps just sign Robson but now linked with the big dog?
    http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/02/16/scottish-sun-caps-have-interest-in-u-s-captain-bocanegra/

Le Toux Hassli
    Camilo Chiumiento
    Robson Koffie
    Rochat Bocanegra Demerit Lee
    Cannon

We've got one of the dopest teams in the league on our hands here..^
    I think if its necessary to sign Bocanegra as a DP (if the cap space is even still available), do it! It gives the team such a good mix of experience, youth, & all around depth & skill.

15. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Far from a given, as the article says Bocanegra would have to go through an allocation process returning to the MLS that gives Montreal first dibs before Vancouver. And by all accounts the Impact are suffering at the back. Plus B has two years left on his contract at Rangers, and I assume he's a pretty important piece of their puzzle.

Rennie said they might be trialing two new guys when they head down to Florida. Any idea who they are?

16. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Not sure that Bocanegra wants to be sent to Montreal. A guy of his stature would be more likely to name his own terms with the league. If he is to come back to the MLS, I can see the same scenario that was done for Brian McBride - the player decides where he wants to play, and the league forces a trade between his team of choice and the team first in line of the allocation process.

17. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rangers are looking at administration so the contract situation doesnt mean much if Rangers must get rid of some players because of financial issues. Also, I'd like to say Montreal is not "suffering" at the back. They have decent left back options in Wahl & Gardner while they have Wenger, Rivas, & Burling as CB possibilities. Rivas is having slight injury concerns but they are close to signing another who is 32 year old Matteo Ferrari. I just wanted to respond to those points.
    Jay Demerit supposedly talked to Carlos & Boca said he wasnt leaving atleast until next year. This again could change because he wont know much on what Rangers actually intend to do to fix any their situation..

18. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was thinking mainly of the injury to Rivas when I said they were hurting at the back. I've heard through media reports that he may be out for a number of months (?). And you're right, the situation with Rangers is tricky, as the coaching staff are not calling the shots. That said, Boca's been quoted on the Rangers website calling on everyone to pull together to help ride things out, and if the new financial managers have any brains, they'll cut FO staff and lesser players to sav money before they move an international calibre starting center back. The team needs to remain competitive, after all, if it wants to climb out of the current troubles.

Having said all that, when money talks and you have non-football people calling shots, I agree anything can happen if the price is right. And the WC owners have deep pockets and have shown a willingness to spend if it makes the team better. See their settlement of the Jarju situation.

19. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And frankly I'd be *really* disappointed in any rule that means a classy guy like him has to either not be in our league or get stuck playing for the Impact.

20. ixadvent

ixadvent Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    What I heard from the radio today was that Impact had acquired Eddy Johnson through the allocation process and now has dropped to the bottom of the priority list. Which means that Caps are the first in the allocation process. :)

But then again, Rangers do want to maintain their squad to remain competitive and therefore they will not be selling or releasing their best players.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides Boca, what other returning USMNT players are there that the Caps would want?

22. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Robles would be a possibility... The only US players that would return through allocation anytime soon that vancouver could be interested in would probably be a defender or goalkeeper. I expect Cannon to step up & Knighton has potential aswell but they could be interested. Bornstein would be ideal but unfortunately for Vancouver would not go through allocation due to the fact Portland has his rights..

23. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Estridge and Fontein are both gone. The roster is now down to 34 players.

24. whitecapfever

whitecapfever New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Cannon
    Rochat, Bonjour, Demerit YP Lee
    Chiumiento Davidson Harris
    Camilo, Hassli, Le Toux

Mattocks (for Hassli) and Koffie (for Chiumiento) will probably also play coming off the bench. Thorington for Davidson if he's healthy but doesn't look good....

25. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Before Thorrington got hurt, it looked like he was a starter, but now things are looking poor for him. (If he picks up a tweak this early in a loooong, grueling season, I don't like his chanced this year.)

I'll give you a lineup that I think will be our preferred XI once everything gets settled in. (So this may not be our squad against Montreal, but I think once Rennie's sees more...)

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Hassli, Le Toux, Camilo, Chiumiento, Koffie, Harris, Rochat, DeMerit, Bonjour, Lee YP, Cannon[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

When Chiumiento is playing poorly, I see Marques in.
    When Hassli is suspended, I see Mattocks or Tan.
    If Harris has issues, I *hope* we see Teibert.