Whitbread:Liverpool vs Arsenal 11/28 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Fulhamfc3, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
  2. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yay, Zak! This denotes progress of some kind at least. Either that, or a really depleted Liverpool squad.

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Traore and Josemi are both injured.

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of the reasons (and even if the gaffer is juggling his squad rotation following the Reds' match this week in the Champions League), very impressive for Whitbread even to get into the squad of 16 against the Gunners.

Can't wait to see this game tomorrow night... Fox Sports 1 or 2 will be airing it live here, can't remember which one off-hand.

But nonetheless... good onya, Zak. The greatest journeys begin with the smallest steps.

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, good on the lad. Sure it will be a boost for him just to make the squad.

6. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PPV here in the States.

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Cisse, Baros, Garcia, Josemi, Traore all out. I hate Josemi but the rest of them would all be starters.

9. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Maybe Whitbread will get playing time but, dont go ordering the PPV just to watch him play because there is a good chance he wont. This is a small step but, still a step toward playing for LFC.

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true, considering that the lion's share of those injured at Liverpool are strikers, and not so much defensive players.

Liverpool injury list grows -- sportinglife.com

I will try and be awake at that early hour to do the PbP, or at least monitor the match, bearing in mind that perhaps there are those who might not want to shell out the dough for the PPV if it looks very likely that Whitbread won't see any playing time (but you never know).

If I've got it on my Foxtel satellite package here, I don't mind being this community's eyes and ears. :)

11. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wow. That sucks. You should move to Thailand. There, the Sunday games are on at 11pm. Just right for a bit of after-dinner beerage. ;)

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who says I'm not drinking at 3 a.m.?? OK, maybe not the hard stuff, like heavy beer of the Carlton Draught variety or pre-mixed cocktails, but perhaps a bit of Bailey's or Kahlúa in my coffee or tea. :)

If I stay up, instead of sleeping now, everything remains nice and neat... and ready to go for the game.

I'm doubting that Zak gets in-- however, the only possible scenario where I'd think (by conventional wisdom) that he would feature for a run-out would be if Liverpool is protecting a lead in the last quarter-hour or so, and Benitez wants to get another defender out there to run the result out.

But if Whitbread does play, maybe 15-20 minutes, top whack. And if that's all he gets, or even if he's on the pine for 90 minutes, remember that one has to begin somewhere.

13. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Indeed. He looks like he might be one for the future, that's for sure. He was excellent against Millwall in the Fizzy Drinks Cup and he did well againt Boro in the next round too.

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he hadn't played so well in the League Cup competition, combined with his play so far in Liverpool's reserves, I'm sure he wouldn't be getting this opportunity. Richly deserved, that...

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I've got a good reason not to order the PPV.

No Whitbread. Not starting, and not on the bench.

Both sportinglife.com and the BBC's site have confirmed this (but here's the teams, from the BBC version)...

Matchtracker, Liverpool v Arsenal

Liverpool
    C Kirkland, S Finnan, S Hyypia, J Carragher, J Riise, S Gerrard, X Alonso, D Hamann, H Kewell, N Mellor, F Sinama Pongolle
    Subs: J Dudek, S Diao, A Nunez, I Biscan, S Warnock

Arsenal
    J Lehmann, B Lauren, K Toure, S Campbell, A Cole, F Ljungberg, P Vieira, F Fabregas, R Pires, J Reyes, T Henry
    Subs: R Van Persie, M Flamini, P Senderos, M Almunia, J Hoyte

Ref: A Wiley

So barring injury, looks like Whitbread was scratched from Benitez's initial plans.

If the prospect of this being a really good game wasn't there, I'd be headed back to bed. :eek:

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  18. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Vieira chips over Kirkland to make it 1-1.

19. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Neil Mellor strikes with a shot from outside the box in stoppage time. Final score - Liverpool 2 - Arsenal 1.

20. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    ever since ManU gave the Arse a spanking they have not been able to put solid games together which makes me very pleased. I would have liked for Whitbread to make the squad and maybee even entered the game, but an Arsenal loss will do me very well:)

21. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal whats wrong with Arse.Now watch just watch when Fulham get ready play Arse bam Arse will start scoring goals and winning matches.

22. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a time to score your first premiership goal...from 30 yards out...on the final kick of the game!

Disappointing not to see Zak but I'm happy with the result, nonetheless :)