Whit/Simek/Spector - Getting a cap ?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by kinstlinger, Nov 11, 2004.

1. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    According to Rob Stone on today's ESPN chat, when talking about the roster for Columbus --

"It is not solely an MLS based roster...there are 4 keepers in camp, one from overseas. And there is one European based youngster who has never earned a cap in camp"

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We were already told that Robbie Russell was called in.

3. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but, I think Robbie has a cap... or am I mistaken?

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Probably Zak. Arena's belly got the best of him and he thought he was ordering more "WHITEbread".

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Not your best work. ;)

6. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are mistaken. Russell is uncapped.

I'm assuming Keller is the keeper in camp.

Of course if they would just tell us, that might be easier...

7. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He said that he's from England though.

8. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    On the "SA lineup v Jamaica (R)" in US N&A someone posted that Stone said it was an uncapped player in England.

That would pretty much limit this to Simek, Spector, Karb, and Whitbread.

Pretty surprising to me but I like it.

9. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Rob Stone: (5:41 PM ET ) Alot of folks want to know this, but US Soccer does not want this info out right now. That's Bruce Arena's call, and you have to respect it. Having said that, I know who is in camp, and while not giving away any hints, I will drop a few teases here. It is not solely an MLS based roster...there are 4 keepers in camp, one from overseas. And there is one European based youngster who has never earned a cap in camp...Sorry to do that to you, but you'll have to watch Wednesday night to get the whole roster...it is an interesting one though.

he goes on to specify . . . "As for part 2 of your question.....you have the right country. "

That would mean it most likely spector

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would think that Whitbread is still ahead of Spector.

11. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    As between Whitbred, Simek, Spector, and Karbassiyoon, if any of them has gotten invited to camp, I'm guessing it's Spector. From everything I've read, Spector seems to have the most natural talent of those four players, and while none of those four have gotten much meaningful first team action, I think Spector has gotten the most first team matches, when he played in those champions league matches and EPL matches at the beginning of the season.

Spector is also younger, and therefore has much more up-side than the other three. I remember that Bruce first called Donovan into camp back when he was still with Leverkusen -- there were certainly strikers who were better than Donovan was at that point, but Bruce brought Donovan in because everyone knew Donovan was incredibly talented and had tremendous potential.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope it isn't Whitbread. I just don't see enough out of him to think he is going to be a National team player. I know i'm gonna get flamed for that, but that's my opinion. He's an awkward player who isn't really great at anything, save for the long pass. Not fast, not quick (there's a difference), not particularly tough. Well, what the hell do I know?!! lol I would think that he isn't talking about Russell in that piece, because he calls him a "youngster". Russell is NOT a youngster. He's 26, I think. Of course, that could just be a poor choice of words on his part.

13. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY

I am pretty sure RR is 25 now.

Agree about Whitbread from what I have seen, but can you really make a decsion based Crapions World pre season play? He looked poor in those matches and seems to be fairing better now. Still don't see him as a Nat.

I think Simak or Spector.

I completely agreed with the guy who said BA was easing him in like LD.

Then I thought the arguement about Simak made sense.

SHould be a good one...behind curtain number one????????????

Is RR here? I read that the RBK D looked really really bad in their Scandanavian Cup thingy. Hope he didn't play and was here.

14. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Russell didn't play in the Royal league game, and he hasn't been capped.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    My first thought when I read this was, "Which one of these guys does Bruce want to cap now so he doesn't get away?" In other words, which of these guys has been leaning towards playing for a different country. I think all of them have options other than US right? How else can they get into England without caps? So my guess is Spector. His father is British, right? I'm asking a lot of questions, I know.

4 keepers? What for? I guess it can't hurt to take a look at guys. I've always thought Marcus Hahnemann deserves another look in a camp. (spelling might be off there). Then again, Tim Howard could get the start.

16. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Right question, but not sure about the right answer. Mr. Spector is not British. All four already qualify for work permits based on EU passports, so they don't NEED caps to remain employed in England.

I think Whitbread is the only one able to play for England, but he's indicated before he wants to play for the U.S., and of course did in UAE last year.

I would guess Simek has the most first-team appearances as he is a fixture in the QPR lineup now.

But basically, Rob Stone has me stumped.

17. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  18. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I think it would make sense if it was either Spector or Simek. Simek is getting first team action at QPR and Bruce always talks about how that is key to getting time with the National Team. Spector got those starts early in the season, but since his first team action is only been in Carling Cup matches. Either wouldn't shock me and either would make sense.

19. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    i cant see simek especially as he is ending his loan with qpr and he is finally, after a couple of years getting to play in the first team. why would he leave while he is getting time with qpr and leave his new team and let a guy who is getting healthy again come back and take his spot?
    spector could only benefit (as could any of the other 3) assuming he would not miss any carling cup preperations.
    Again, simek hasnt cemented his spot and has only played 4 games (iirc), whitebred hasnt done too much, and karb has played all of 2 games for arsenal.

I just see spector being the only viable option - epl action, carling action, and champions league action and by calling him in does he lose his spot with manu? no, so why not take a shot and call him into camp - most likely he wont make the game day squad anyway as bruce likes to ease the kids in

20. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He was talking about getting them cap-tied, not letting them keep their work permits.

21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Word has it that Spector is the one Stone was talking about. He was MIA from last night's reserve match even though the other Carling Cup subs played 90.

Now, can he EARN that cap now that he's gotten to camp?

22. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Thanks. Knew aboutthe cap sitaution. Was just hoping he wasn't in RBK's line up after what I read. Glad he wasn't.

23. Trellis

Trellis New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    Athens, Georgia
  24. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Well when the roster isn't quite right it helps...

25. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    I love this roster.
    Gooch, Spector, Reis, Cannon, EJ

I never really thought of Cannon as potential MNT GK until this year, but I'm sure he would fit in quite well.