Which teams will advance from the Group F?

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia' started by CIA, Dec 4, 2009.

1. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL :rolleyes:

This isn't about Australia btw. NZ won't beat the Slovaks.

2. JamesthePeach

JamesthePeach New Member

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a completely different group of teams so I don't think the qualifying campaigns have much relevance, other than they all qualified. I don't know much about Slovakia, so I'm not deriding their chances but Paraguay have a strong well balanced team, they've been to the finals a few times now, so I have to fancy them over Slovakia. New Zealand will battle their way to fourth place.

Nobody's giving Italy much credit, but this is the World Cup. They might start slow, but they'll get stronger as the tournament goes on and I'll not be at all surprised to see them in the final again.

3. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With all the injuries to the favorites, Italy is looking good again. Only age will defeat them, unfortunately. Cannavaro is past it, and Buffon hasn't looked good either this year. Maybe Lippi will start the younger guys.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd say Paraguay would have been a lock with Cabanas, but now it's hard to say. I admit, I don't know much about the Slovaks, so it's kind of hard to see who advances other than Italy. I'd still say Paraguay moves on.

Italy 9
    Paraguay 6
    Slovakia 3
    New Zealand 0

5. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You going to support Roma now?

6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Slovakia is not just defense. Theres a lot of youthful creative energy in attack with Hamsik. Weiss could be a break out star. Stoch was in excellent form down the stretch for Twente's title run. Svento is not very well known but he's another quality midfielder with good touch. Between all those mids they should create chances ... the question in the end is will the strikers finish those chances. The likes of Vittek and Sestak are definitely at disadvantage against Italy and Paraguay defenses.

7. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Will Italy Even Get out of Group F?

You are gravely underestimating the Italians and overemphasizing their age. Firstly, Lippi has taken steps to dump some of the older players (Grosso, Toni, Perrotta, etc.) with more likely to be chopped (Camo, etc.). Also, you forget that the Italians and the French were teams that had some of the oldest squads at WC 2006, yet both teams reached the final.

8. sickboycool

sickboycool Member

May 13, 2002
    Woodland, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy v Paraguay 2-1
    New Zealand v Slovakia 1-3
    Italy v New Zealand 4-0
    Paraguay v Slovakia 1-1
    Italy v Slovakia 0-0
    Paraguay v New Zealand 0-1

Italy 7 +5 gd
    Slovakia 5 +2 gd
    New Zealand 3 -5 gd
    Paraguay 1 -2 gd

9. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Paraguay and Italy will go through. In that order. Italy will start weak as usual and pick up strength in the knockout stages.

10. Z Fanatic

Z Fanatic New Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Perkasie, PA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went for Italy and Slovakia.

11. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I have no idea how anyone can vote for any other team than Italy and Paraguay... Slovakia and New Zealand are the weakest teams at the competition.

12. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    North Korea are surely weaker than slovakia

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    How on earth are Slovakia worse than North Korea?

Slovakia have two top level players in Hamsik and Skrtel and have the quality to make it out of this group. They aren't necessarily favourites to progress ahead of Paraguay, but they have a fair chance to make it through.

14. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Skrtel a top level player? Me thinks not.
    Hamsik is a quality player, but so is North Korea's star player. That makes them even.
    I would say North Korea is about on par with Slovakia.

New Zealand are slightly worse than Slovakia, but both of them are typical whipping boys and any result other than Paraguay and Italy would be a shock of megaproportions.

15. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You have absolutely no clue, do you? :rolleyes:
    We all know you detest European teams, but that's ridiculous.

Slovakia: FIFA 34th ELO 48th
    New Zealand: FIFA 78th ELO 74th
    North Korea: FIFA 105th ELO 79th

Slovakia are not whipping boys.

16. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    European teams are traditionally overrated in ranking tables. Slovakia are whipping boys and just wait until the World Cup starts for proof. This is the weakest European team sent to the World Cup since Greece in 1994...

And since when do I detest European teams? Don't make up stupid stuff... I like England, Switzerland and really like this young German team (apart from absolutely detesting Klose).

17. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How are they overrated in the ELO ranking? :confused:

And why should I wait until the tournament starts? You say they ARE the weakest team, so you should be able to prove it NOW.

18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Skrtel is not a quality player, but Hong Yong-Jo (I presume the "star" player you refer to) is?

On what basis? If Skrtel was African you'd have hailed him as the new Beckenbauer, or should I say the new Stephen Tataw given your preferences.

And Hong Yong-Jo is the equal of Marek Hamsik? Again, based on what? One is an outstanding player in Serie A. The other plays for FC Rostor.

19. Pancho17

Pancho17 New Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Maruti who are you?
    How you can judge in such a disgrace the teams before the world cup even start. What is your problem?
    Do you have some Slovak-phobia or what is it.
    For god sake show some respect and do this world a favour, don’t ever express yourself –ever.
    I am proud to be fan of Slovakia’s national team and these words below are hurting me:
    Maruti wrote:
    -Slovakia are a poor team that progressed from the worst group. Italy didn’t manage to beat Ireland home and away either
    -Slovakia and New Zealand are the two weakest teams in the whole competition. When I saw Italy's luck with the draw I was shocked.- we will see who is going to be shocked, yet.
    -Slovakia and New Zealand are the weakest teams at the competition.
    -New Zealand are slightly worse than Slovakia, but both of them are typical whipping boys and any result other than Paraguay and Italy would be a shock of megaproportions. –i like the new word you came up, but it is bit unfortunate in this case that your brain is not megaproportion ¬
    -Skrtel a top level player? Me thinks not .
    -Slovakia are whipping boys and just wait until the World Cup starts for proof. This is the weakest European team sent to the World Cup since Greece in 1994...

20. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    If the Paraguay that beat Argentina and Brazil in qualification shows up then these guys can win the group and go as far as Quarter Finals. I think they will not be choked by the ocassion this time...

21. richnyc

richnyc New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovakia
    I like your prediction... :D:D:D

22. richnyc

richnyc New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovakia
    BTW, Maruti you need to pass around that joint... You way too high on that shit:rolleyes:

Yeah, NZ will put up a good fight but is nowhere near to Slovakia in talent and depth. Sorry, dude!!!

Now, for Paraguay. They are definitely better on paper than Slovakia and if they play their best They'll probably beat them. But it'll be closer than anyone expects...

Slovakia will still be more entertaining to watch than any other team in the F group: Young, hungry, cocky, nothing to lose team with no further expectations to succeed past the F group... Always fun to watch... MARK MY WORDS!!!

23. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Forza italia! All my neighbors are italian. I'll get a headache with all their screaming.

24. CIA

CIA Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    Hijos de Acosvinchos
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Guys, lets not let the discussion get personal.:)

25. Pancho17

Pancho17 New Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

I know, but every action require a reaction.
    He is disrespectful to my team so i gave him my own disrespect. That's all he might be nice spaghetti lad.