Which teams will advance from the Group F?

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia' started by CIA, Dec 4, 2009.

1. CIA

CIA Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    Hijos de Acosvinchos
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Vote (and discuss too)!

2. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Italy
    2. Paraguay
    3. Slovakia
    4. New Zealand

3. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think this will actually be a competitive group! Everyone seems to think its gonna be a cakewalk for Italy but I disagree! Paraguay has a good squad, they beat Brazil and Argentina in qualifying and lead the South American group for a while before Brazil overtook them. I see Italy and Paraguay advancing out of this group!

4. blank_frackis

blank_frackis New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    The top three sides are all quite evenly matched in my opinion. We all know how well Paraguay did in qualifying and Slovakia have a number of good players who a lot of people have never heard of (Hamsik, etc.)

I can't see New Zealand doing anything. At least they can say they were eliminated by three good sides this time round though - it was the Solomon Islands in 2006!

5. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I'm betting for Italy and Paraguay, Slovakia could make the surprise.

6. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    They have Hamsik and a few decent defenders... sorry... too little.

7. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Will Paraguay play up to the level of their talent? Or will they play too scared, as they did in 2006?

For me, that's the only question in this group. Italy will advance. New Zealand won't. And Paraguay should.

They're in the same position as Nigeria in Group B, the U.S. in Group C and Chile in Group H.

They have the talent and a favorable draw, but will poor coaching or negative tactics hold them back?

8. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    This is an accurate assessment in my view. We (Italia) seeming always make it difficult for ourselves to qualify from first rounds in knockout tournaments, we generally do, especially when it comes to the World Cup. It's only later in the knockout stages that we become a force.

Paraguay should qualify as well as they have some talent. No disrespect to Slovakia, but apart from Hamsik (who is brilliant) and Skrtl, do they really have world class talent? But in any case, if things go in their favor, I could see them squeeking in past Paraguay.

I would go Italia and Paraguay to qualify, though not necessarily in that order. This is going to be maybe the weakest squad (on paper) that Italy takes to a World Cup since 1986.

9. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Skrtel's talent really isn't world class... he's good, but lets not go overboard.

Slovakia are a poor team that progressed from the worst group.

10. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Italy, they're the last world cup champs and will most likely get 1st place in this group. They just have way too much talent and experience.

Paraguay, I've seen them a lot, and they were 1st in CONMEBOL for most of the Qualifiers. At the end, they drifted off, but they were already pretty much qualified, so can't base my opinion on that. They have 2 great keepers, and a great group of forwards, like Cardozo, and the other guy who's name escapes me. They have tons of world cup experience, especially compared with the lower 2.

Slovakia, all I've seen is the win against the U.S., and they looked good. Could end up at 2nd.

New Zealand just advanced because OCEANIA and Bahrain in the playoff. They just aren't ready for the world cup.

11. GolDeLetra

GolDeLetra New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    I will go against the flow on this one. I think Paraguay will finish top of the group on goal differential. Italy will advance as well, but Slovakia will complicate things for them. New Zealand (much like North Korea on Group G) does not have a chance.

12. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Italia
    Paraguay
    Slovakia
    New Zealand

Italia aren't looking good at the moment - not even 100% sure we will make it out of the group but even if we do, everyone I know is predicting we'll go three and out, including myself, but as Italians know, the stars can align and our side can turn it on.

WC '82.

:D

13. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Slovakia and New Zealand are the two weakest teams in the whole competition. When I saw Italy's luck with the draw I was shocked.

They will get massacred at the World Cup. Paraguay and Italy will get 6 points from these game and the group winner will be decided between them or by how extremely they rape the minnows.

14. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Isn't Slovakia quite good though recently? Are they that much worse than the Czech Republic?

15. j710

j710 New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    4 people say New Zealand....wow

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my fevered dreams ...

Slovakia and New Zealand go through. :D

But realistically ...

I have to assume that Italy take first, and it's a dog fight for second between Paraguay and Slovakia. And yes, Slovakia are pretty decent right now. Of course, Paraguay are hot right now, so it will be tough.

Alas for the Kiwis. :(

Go USA!!

- Mark

17. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's not true. Slovakia had one of the best defenses in their qualification group. They're a close knit team, they can play.

18. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I disagree with the previous... I watched them play... not impressed... they were easily torn apart by Slovenia.

Just watched the Australia - New Zealand match. And I must say I admire New Zealand's fighting spirit. (OT Australia also has a never say die attitude). They were worse technically by far but still managed to play an equal game with the Australians... New Zealand may not be such a whipping boy as expected...

19. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, because Australia is a powerhouse...:rolleyes:

Slovakia is still miles ahead.

20. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Yeah... Slovakia is soo much better than Australia... give me a break. I never said they were a powerhouse, but Australia is a much better side than Slovakia anyhows...

21. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    NZ. Australia isn't in this group. Even if they were, Slovakia could beat them. You're basing everything on one game. Watch all their games then judge. I've seen a few NZ and Australia games, it's more about physical ability than technical with those two. Slovakia have some very good technical players.

22. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdC_VigdBo8"]YouTube- Slovakia - World Cup 2010[/ame]

Finishing on top of the Czech and Polish isn't something a mediocre team accomplishes, not to mention your Slovenia.

23. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Slovenia won both games with Slovakia. Poland was extremely poor and had a terrible campaign. And the Czechs are in crisis. Really not much of an accomplishment...

24. bunkmedal

bunkmedal Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    It's a better accomplishment than anything Australia had to do to qualify.

You can play this game with any of the teams that qualified though. England beat Ukraine and Croatia, both of whom were poor in the campaign. The Netherlands beat Norway and Scotland, who were also poor. Spain only had to beat Bosnia and Turkey, who were in rebuilding mode. Brazil only had to finish above Uruguay, Ecuador and Colombia... no achievement there. And so on.

It's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy because if a team qualifies then inevitably it's not very difficult to criticise the teams that they qualified ahead of (after all, if Poland and the Czech Republic were any good they'd have qualified, right?)

25. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Australia topped the group with Qatar, reigning Asian champions Iraq and China.
    Then they topped the group with Japan. A feat at least as good as beating the tragically bad Poles or the Czechs.