Which Teams Have Allocations Due?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Khan, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I was wondering which teams have allocations due as of today? Aside from the highly-valued YSAs, [Dallas/Chicago] I couldn't find a list of these anywhere.

[Subquestion] I know that the YSAs are supposed to trump other allocations, [i.e. those given in compensation for a sold player] but does anyone have a sense as to the order of precedence for said allocations?

Thanks in advance!

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    DC United has one for Convey and if Ryan Nelsen leaves, we will get one for him as well.

3. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Re: Ryan Nelsen

Do you have league confirmation on the Nelsen allocation? If so, do you have a link?

Thanks.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Preki does retire, then it wouldn't surprise me if the Wizards got one.

5. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road

I appreciate the input, kuhnscoot. But perhaps I should clarify:

What I'm looking for are league confirmed, currently existing allocations, rather than speculative, "likely to become" allocations.

I'm also looking for some sort of order of precedence in the allocations. [i.e. KC can't exercise their allocation for Preki until Dallas exercises their YSA allocation, for example.]

Thanks again, and if you happen upon the info, fill us in, kuhnscoot!

6. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Supposedly the league will issue a list soon (per Wilt). They failed to do so before 2004, the first time since 2000 they hadn't. somewhere said that the expansion teams will have the top allocations.

off the top of my head
    RSL: 3 allocations
    CDC: 3 allocations

CHI 3: Beasley & Bocangera (Beasley one is larger $$$, Bocanegra one planned for Callabero), 2004 YS
    CLB 1: McBride
    DC 1: Convey
    MET 0: none
    NE 0 or 1: had 2 (Nowak and likely Hernandez) but used 1 or both against the cap this year, not sure if 1 is left

COL 0: none yet
    DAL 2: Etcheverry (for Adu), 2004 YS
    KC 0: none yet
    LA 0: maybe one for Bo
    SJ 0: posssibly Donovan

plus any new ones given out for retirements or players going to Europe(Spencer, maybe Nelsen/Stewart, etc)

top of the head guess, put together from various reports

7. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I've looked pretty hard. League confirmation doesn't exist. But my list should be right. The order is speculative. I'd say the YS are always first. the 2003 likely before the 2004s (not sure if I remember that one). Usually they use the draft order IIRC for the non-YS allocations.

Bottome line: That info isn't out there published, I'm pretty sure. I asked Fire GM Wilt and he thinks it'll be released soon.

8. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Re: Nowak Allocation

The understanding in Chicago was that the Nowak allocation was retained by Chicago, which was then traded for the draft pick that became The Legendary Scott Buete.

Where did you get the NE-Nowak Allocation info?

Thanks again for the input...

9. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Gibbs was the 2003 YS

edit: note this post quotes the one below, a little bug i've seen lately BigSoccer!

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I think we have three now. Unused 2003 YS, 2004 YS, Adu 'forced trade'

11. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

what info? NE did get it back on draft day for a draft pick. the original nowak/ne trade and return of allocation had so many conditions i don't think we want to go there

i'm not sure what you're asking about. before this season Nichol or someon in management told some local fans that they planned to use 1 or both of their allocations against the cap, that's the lastI heard

12. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

see my post above yours, that's where the reply ended up

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to Sunil Gulati, the Revs were only able to use "some" of their allocation against the Cap this year, and still had the Hernandez allocation available. As far as I know, that is all we have left to use, although if they jettison some salaries, they should be able to bring in some decent players.

14. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Preki retires, KC gets an allocation. It's a fact. To the best of my knowledge, it has no relationship with any other allocation.

15. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

is any of the Nowak allocation left? I mean - does this still allow a player acquisition just not expensive?

or is it just the Herndandez allocation out there.

this is the first case I know of of an allocation being used against the cap

16. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Sam, thanks for your input, BUT:

Once again, we're looking for identifiable news regarding currently existing allocations. We're not out looking for speculation regarding "ifs" and "maybes" as they pertain to allocations. Since Preki hasn't retired yet, [to the best of anyone's knowledge here] you're posting speculation rather than fact. At this point, the "Preki allocation" hasn't come to fruition, because [as of the moment I type these words] Preki is still an active player in MLS.

We can put up an "Allocation Speculation" thread, where we ask each other "if Player X retires or is sold, would [insert the name of your favorite MLS team] get an allocation?" In that same thread, we can post whatever credible or incredible statements about allocations that haven't yet come to be.

But we're not putting together that thread. It would be informative to separate the truth from speculation... Let's keep it to verifiable fact, not "maybe" or "if."

Thanks...

17. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road

For some reason I had it that the Nowak allocation went elsewhere... You're certain that it went to NE?

18. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA

We traded the Nowak allocation to NE for the draft pick that netted us...sigh...Scott Buete.

19. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    take it easy on a veteran here. His point is that Preki has clearly been labeled as an alloction-worth retirement (KC kept his allocation when trading him to Miami way back) and there's an even chance of a retriement. But I agree it's ok to put speculation in another thread. But really now that it's the offseason, it's much of the same issue.

I came asking this same question last offseason. And was disappointed that it took piecing together several sources to create my own list. For those out there wondering what allocations were out there in 2004 that were used, my list is DAL YS 2003 (Giibs), CLB YS 2003 (Sanneh), LA Cienfeugos (Kirovski), MET Howard (Sergio Galvan Rey), MET Mathis (Glen), part of 1 NE at least (Nowak per above towards the cap). 2003 pre-season was last published list.

20. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Re: Fact v. Speculation

Hey, I thought I was pretty easy-going, but if you can't separate fact from speculation....

We all know that Preki has been one of the best players in MLS, and his retirement would likely lead to an allocation for KC. But to post this isn't really news. Nor is it really analysis. [yet] If/when Preki does actually retire, then the resultant allocation could be included into a list of allocations.

Actually, my hope was that someone with good info on the allocations could give us some fodder for speculation at a later time; What I wanted to avoid was an amalgamation of fact-finding and speculation to where the terminally dumb cannot separate the two.

21. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Re: Fact v. Speculation

i understand. but at this point, i think you have all the fodder you're going to get. so from here on out there is nothing to do but speculate until MLS decides to release a list

22. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas has TWO Allocations in Hand.

One: You Suck Allocation for 2004

and one for our willingness to bend over and trade away the 1st pick in the Super Draft last season so DC could "draft" Freddy Adu. (An allocation which the team could not use this year by the way although it looks like we may be able to use it for next season.

23. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the priority on these allocations in the event several clubs are interested in the same player?

Isn't it something like:

RSL
    Chivas
    You suck Chicago
    YS Dallas
    etc?

24. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    something like that, i'll check to see how they used to put the leftover year old allocations in the order, i'm not sure where the other 2 expansion alloctions per team will go. I doubt it's an issue for Chivas if they're going to send up MFL players. don't imagine other teams will be allowed to interfere

25. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States