Which team has the most depth?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Colonial717, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    So I was really psyched that DC United didn't have that much turnover and looks in my mind to be the deepest team in the MLS. Then I realized that it was just that I followed DC and knew thier entire reserve team that I thought they were better than other teams who played people I hadn't heard of because I don't follow other teams as closely. Still think United is up there but not sure they're at the top. Was wondering what everyone else thought.

2. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Well accidentally hit enter before entering the Fire. Don't know how to undo or edit the poll. :eek:

3. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
  4. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy. We have something like 27 defenders on the payroll now.

5. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can't you change it if you edit the original post?

I vote Fire, too. :rolleyes:

6. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire for sure. Just wait and watch the reserve results pour in.

7. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I smell conspiracy. The deepest team by a good degree is the only one left out of the poll.

How convenient.

8. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    you might as well just make a "who is your favorite team poll" thats what these inevitably turn into

I say DC all around, except for our back 3, we certainly have 2, even 3 deep at forward/midfield

9. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Well, it's probably easier to eliminate teams that don't have depth. Do you really think anyone will seriously say Colorado or SLC? I'd be curious why 2 people have put the Quakes (don't get angry, but would they be happy with their starting lineup at this point?)

I agree that DC is deep-- probably the best 14, sure-- but the Fire does have a pretty interesting cast of characters and decent draftees.

10. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Can we save everyone a bit of clutter and omit the Revolution (who haven't yet even replaced the players they lost in the offseason) from the list?
    :eek:

11. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does any MLS team really have depth? At any position other than goalkeeper?

Really.

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire for sure..then probably either DC or KC.

14. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    C'mon NR, you've got to take in its relative context.

Depth for an MLS team means that the subs can sometimes trap. The reserve league can only help, right?

15. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Is depth good or is it another way of saying there isn't much difference between the starters and subs.

16. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the only one to say the Rapids...phewy!

17. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Obviously, they're your team so you know them best, but are you happy with your depth at forward?

18. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Whatever, you two. A conceivable reserve team lineup for the Fire would be

------Barrett-----Jaqua------
    --------Thiago Gaucho--------
    --John-----------------Khumalo
    --------Pause----Capano---------
    ---Stewart---Brown---Gray-----
    ------------Pickens------------

Leaving 2004 Hermann finalist Gonzalo Segares, 2003 All-Americans Scott Buete and Leonard Griffin, Canadian U-20 international Will Johnson, plus whoever the team drafted this year buried way down.

If that's not depth, I don't know what is.

(And I'm, by no means, a Fire fan.)

19. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crew aren't bad. Assuming the same lineup they finished up with - and any changes necessary to cover for departed players - the Crew's 2nd 11 looks something like this:

Jordan
    Herdsman Kelly Lagos
    Barclay Szetela Vasquez Testo Mediate
    Washington Cameron

First team:
    Busch
    Oughton Fraser Marshall
    Hejduk Elliott Paule Martino Wingert
    Buddle Razov

Of course, prior to this season you could have plugged Akwari in the back, and Maisonneuve into that midfield, plus Oughton would have been pushed to the 2nd 11 by Sanneh. Or Cunningham. As it is, non-starters on the Crew have a combined 36 years of MLS experience going into this season. A full 5 of the players have at least 4 years of MLS experience. The starters have 53 years of experience - nearly 5 years experience per starter on average.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's sick. I don't think I've ever looked at it like that before.

21. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I was in a toss-up with the Fire and KC. I did give the edge the my team considering some of Chicago's players are unproven. I will admit though that I'm unfamiliar with most teams' benches. If you listed teams bench players then that would've helped.

22. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    How can anyone talk about relative talent depth when PARITY ruled the day last season? ("relative" as in one team significantly more than another) The teams with nobodies, who may have "lacked" depth, did about as good as the teams loaded with stars.

... DC finished 4th out of 10 in points, with BARELY a winning record (one game). Sure, a good run of games to win MLS Cup in Oct/November, but that could have just as much been because they hit their stride and peaked at the right moment, as it is a reflection of actual talent difference (or "depth"). Who did they play to get to the Cup? Metrostars & New England (two teams with losing records during the season), yet were competitive games?

MLS Cup is a small "tournament" that represents play over what 30 odd days? The season represents much more in terms of depth/talent and performance over time. What does the season tell us? Even Columbus and KC averaged only 1.6 points per game (slightly better than a "tie" per game) while DC averaged 1.4 points per game.

In the West, best record (14-9-7) versus worst record (10-14-6)... 13 point difference.... How can anyone come to any conclusion other than: MOST MLS teams are about the same in talent and anyone can win on any given day.

Stated another way, the WORST team in the West was only 6 points (2 wins) behind DC United - eventual Cup winners.

For DC, a 5 year gap between MLS Cups with some missed playoff appearances during that time does not say "Depth" or "Dynasty" for the current team. God Bless them for winning because it is cool to have one team claim 4 out 9 Cups - but the dominance of the late 90's is a VERY different team than the one who took the Cup last year. Particularly, considering they recently missed the playoffs during what was probably the MOST favorable (as in "easy to make") playoff structure in sports (8 out of 10).

MLS is full (the US is FULL) of good, solid, mid-level talent... with a sprinkling of "stars" - none of which, can actually take over a game and dominate it, let alone a season.

Just trying to point out a contrarian view... flame away!

23. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, who could answer this?

Depth is going to come down to how a lot of rookies end up shaping out, and aside for a few thats just a crapshoot.

And "the answer" now may be very different then "the answer" 4 months from now, when those rookies get some seasoning.

Im not trying to be flip about this, I litterally have no clue how someone could evaluate MLS depth at this point in the season.

24. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think we all realize that but this poll is simply a paper determination as things stand right nowbased on peoples projections using some arcaic mental gymnastics to arrive at a totally unproved conclusion.

Maybe its Columbus, have you heard Frankie talk..he's a pretty deep guy.

25. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    this poll should have been changed early. I think right now it's a close race between Chicago and DC with DC having a little bit higher talent on the upper end, Chicago a little stronger on the lower end. This poll does little to answer the question with DC edging Columbus 32-7 right now. Why it wasn't changed after being noticed so early? Isn't there a mod to step in?