Which sport is your "second love"?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by sarabella, Sep 5, 2006.

?

Which sport, after soccer, is your favorite?

1. baseball

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. (American) football

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. basketball

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ice hockey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. golf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. tennis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. auto racing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. cricket

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I was thinking more like Sharapova, Kournikova, Jankovic, Ivanovic, Zheng, etc. :rolleyes::cool:

2. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Jankovic? :eek:

3. MrKawamura

MrKawamura Member

May 17, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I frequently go out of my way to watch soccer, road cycling and the NFL.

There's only so many sports you can get into while holding down a job, so I've made my choices. Have to admit I find baseball and basketball complete mysteries. Regarding Aussie rules, I was always put off by the weird ugly styling of their kits, don't know if it's still the same.

As for crowd numbers, I think that the Tour de France is the biggest spectator event in the world. They even estimated 100 000 watched the opening stage of the Tour of Britain a couple of weeks ago. Being in central London, it benefits from casual onlookers I suppose. Good level of interest though.

4. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    College american football gets alot of people in their stadiums, lookhttp://www.collegecharlie.com/stadiums.html at the people they get in. It is crazy how many people go, its like azteca stadium packed every weekend of the american football season.

5. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

watch a texas a&m home game...

[​IMG]

6. CIA

CIA Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    Hijos de Acosvinchos
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    all of those in the poll, except golf, auto racing, criket and

7. CIA

CIA Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    Hijos de Acosvinchos
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
  8. Albero1980

Albero1980 New Member

Sep 14, 2008
    (American) Football -Both college and the NFL. I also follow Tennis and MMA.

Since I starting watching Soccer at the 2006 World Cup, it's been by far my favorite sport. I regret not watching it all those years. I've also found out that since "discovering" Soccer that my interest in MLB and the NBA has declined substantially. There's only a few match-ups now that I may watch come playoff time. The MLB and NBA regular seasons hold almost no interest to me now.

9. MrKawamura

MrKawamura Member

May 17, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We have increasing access and exposure to sports that are not traditional in our native lands. I quite like Kabaddi, the national game of Bangladesh and would choose to watch that rather than some more familiar British events.

Most of the 'foreign' sports coverage over here is, of course, from America. The NFL seems to be the one that is gaining ground. I hope they continue to hold games outside the US.

10. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    has anyone ever played squash?

11. zombiematty

zombiematty New Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Columbia MO
    I'm not entirely sure I know what Squash is. I'll wiki it later.

My first love is martial arts, specifically American Taekwondo, which I'm trying to teach full time for a living. However, I probably spend an equal amount of time reading about or playing soccer. Too bad I can't get paid for both. Or can I....

12. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Squash is a racquet sport that was formerly called squash racquets, a reference to the "squashable" soft ball used in the game (compared with the harder ball used in its parent game Racquets (or rackets; see below)). The game is played by two players (or four players for doubles) with "standard" rackets in a four-walled court with a small, hollow rubber ball. Squash is characterized as a "high-impact" exercise that can place strain on the joints, notably the knees.
    Squash is recognized by the IOC and remains in contention for incorporation in a future Olympic program.

[​IMG]

13. zombiematty

zombiematty New Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Columbia MO
    wow--that picture makes Squash look like Tron. The picture I found was full of old ladies.

[​IMG]

I like yours better...

14. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    lmao...many of the apartments in my state have squash courts...

15. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    squash is sooo cool, i actually played last week, in spanish i call it fronton, i love it, its really quick and u get a hell of an exercise out of it. Good call erick.

16. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes please
    [​IMG]

Does racquetball count?

17. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Larger ball. Raquet has smaller handle and larger head. Otherwise pretty much the same. I think raquetball is only played in the US though? Squash elsewhere AKAIK.

18. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    From that view maybe. :D

19. spiritmark

spiritmark New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Holland

I've actually been looking for a sport that does the same as fitness, but can be done outdoors. Haven't found anything yet...

20. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i guess. :D

great pic i bet the bf loves that.

21. badboy_Nick

badboy_Nick New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Maybe Basketball or Hockey ... apart from video games :)

22. ManUSuperfan4Life

ManUSuperfan4Life New Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Does futsal count? :)

Definitely ice hockey (i prefer the olympic sized sheet to those congested ponds in NHL arenas).

http://blog.futfanatico.com/

23. bijans-redded

bijans-redded Red Card

Jan 18, 2007
    Korea Republic
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  24. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Jeu de paume was originally a French precursor of lawn tennis played without racquets. The players hit the ball with their hands, as in palla, volleyball, or certain varieties of pelota. Jeu de paume literally means: game of palm (of the hand). In time gloves replaced bare hands. Even when bats, and finally racquets, became standard equipment for the game, the name did not change. It became known as "tennis" in English (see History of tennis), and later "real tennis" after lawn tennis became more popular than the parent game.
    The term is used in France today to denote the game of real tennis or a court in which the ancient or modern game might be played. The indoor version is sometimes called jeu de courte paume or just courte paume (short palm) to distinguish it from the outdoor version, longue paume, played on a longer court.
    Some important buildings in France are known by the name jeu de paume, in general because of their proximity to tennis courts or to sites on which courts once stood. Several works of art also bear this name, including the famous serment du jeu de paume ('the Tennis Court Oath') in the Palace of Versailles. It depicts the formal announcement of the French revolution made in the Royal Tennis Court there on 20 June 1789.
    An art museum with rotating exhibitions, the Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume, also bears the name. It sits on the north side of the Tuileries park in the centre of Paris.
    Jeu de paume was a medal event in the 1908 Summer Olympics. American Jay Gould won the Gold medal.[1]

early version of squash

[​IMG]

25. IFGoalie21

IFGoalie21 New Member

Oct 23, 2008
    snowboardings is where its at after soccer.