Which players have benefited the most from NWSL?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by MRAD12, Aug 16, 2013.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We all know how Shannon Boxx made herself a star back in the WUSA and thus her play caught the eye of then USWNT Coach April Heinrichs. She was brought into camp then put in games where she played outstanding and the rest is history.

Which player(s) have been helped the most by playing in the NWSL this year to elevate their game and possibly catch the eye of USWNT Coaches?

Here are a few that come to my mind:

1. Lauren Cheney Holiday - Has moved her game up from very good player to "Star".

2. Erika Tymrak - Right out of college was put on the right team that plays the right kind of possession style that enabled her to shine and probably catch the eye of USWNT Coaches.

3. Adrianna Franch - We have a glut inventory of keepers that are good. But the NWSL has given Adrianna Franch an opportunity to shine and separate herself from the pack of those following Solo and Barnhardt.

2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are the three biggest examples of players who have benefited from having a professional league, although with how many keepers are ahead of AD right now, I'm not sure how good her chances are of getting serious NT looks in this cycle.

Besides those players, I'd add in Leigh-Ann Robinson and Jen Buczkowski. Two players who have been a huge part of KC's stellar defense all season long, and more importantly fill positions of need for the NT, should get some looks from Sermanni this fall.

mamalia repped this.
  3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This may not be a most participated thread because we know those 3 are the obvious. But as one of the reasons that the NWSL was launched and supported by USSF is because it was supposed to be a league where the USWNT players get game shape playing time and unknowns can get known and flourish. As well as the Canadians and Mexicans.

So I guess my question is, who should now be brought into USWNT due to their play in the NWSL this season?

I know the thread says who benefited but maybe we should also ask the question...who warrants getting replaced on the USWNT due to their poor play in the NWSL?

And who excelled as far as Canadian and Mexican allocations in the league this season?

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    If we're gonna talk beyond just USWNT... I know she quit the team, but you gotta figure England would love to get Lianne Sanderson to play for them again... If I had any say in it, her performance in the NWSL (3rd in the league in assists) + England's performance in the Euros would make me fire Powell just to get Sanderson back.

And if I were Sermanni, I would be begging US Soccer to let me bring Chalupny back in, even though she's 29 and has the concussion history.

mamalia repped this.
  5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lori Lindsey was probably already out the door, but she did herself no favors by having a very poor season for Washington. Her age, combined with her lackluster play, as well as the vast amounts of talent available, means her NT career is almost definitely done. Kelley O'Hara had the misfortune of getting injured during a somewhat unproductive season, so she may be on the bubble once she comes back. If she has a good season next year, then she'll be back. All the players who missed all or most of this season through injury or pregnancy IMO are on the outside. They'll need to have good seasons in order to win NT spots.

For the Canadians, Matheson, Schmidt, LeBlanc were the standouts. Sesselmann and Scott were a vital part of KC's strong backline. Sinclair didn't have a bad year, but for what she's done in the past, it wasn't quite up to the standards we fans have come to expect. Leon showed some serious potential once she got to Chicago, and could put up some good numbers with a full season for them next year. Most of the rest had decent or good years, but some got buried on their benches and rarely saw the field.

For the Mexicans, Cuellar was the top performer at the beginning, but once she fell out of favor, that was it. It's very telling that she's riding the pine for a team short on quality forwards. I picked Ocampo as one of my Best XI over players like Leroux and Morgan, so I'd say she had a fine season. Scoring that many goals with about half the minutes of the former two is quite an accomplishment. Dominguez had a better second half, but at 35, there may not be much left in the tank going forward. Perez did get some time in the beginning of the year, but like Leon in Boston, she's stuck on a team with so many offensive weapons. A few others did get some time, but most were relegated to the bench.

mamalia repped this.
  6. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Given the ages of keepers #1-4.... she has done herself a solid this season.

7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    In an interview on TSN radio show the Canadian Coach thinks that his whole team will benefit from playing in the NWSL. World class talent of the US and Canadian players gave his team a league to play in close to home and he knows where they are all at and they will all finish at the same time so almost the whole team will be able to go into the next 4 month training session after the season save a player here or there who may be playiny elsewhere the bulk of his players are in the NWSL.
    In the past he said he found it hard to get all of his top players together at one time with players spread out all over the world

8. mona

mona Member

Oct 21, 2003
    I know this forum is about specific players that have benefited from the NWSL league, however, I believe the the ones who have reaped the most from this season are the FANS!! Having followed Women's Professional Soccer in various incarnations domestically and internationally, I feel the level of play and parity in teams has never been better....kudos for finally getting it right!!!

9. Mosan

Mosan Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Munich
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Erika Tymrak has been the most exiting heads up for me so far.

Aside the recognition factor (for US rookies) it is usually the foreigners who profit the most coming from a lower standard league to a professional training/game environment. That's where the biggest (Performance) leaps should happen.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im not sure anyone in the current pool played themselves out of anything with their league play. I think the original call ups were more a staff selection then anything Sermanni chose. After that initial call, I think u got an idea of where Sermanni was going. On the other side several players re-established their value to the NT with their work in the league. Two players who stand out for me r Holiday and Rampone. Back during the victory tour both received criticism on this forum for their play and each seems to be back on solid footing. I think Barnhart has also used the league and Solo's surgery to show fans why she is the number two. It will be interesting to see how many NWSLers get a look and if any of them stick. Obviously Tymrak could be the key addition but with the O'Hara surgery, Leigh Ann Robinson might be able to seize the opportunity for an extended stay.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As to Canada and Mexico, I think the Mexicans in general greatly benefited from the league. I think most played well enough that if Mexico pulled out, they would be resigned by their teams as free agents. For Canada, my reviews r mixed. The player who impressed me the most was Leon, or at least the Leon who arrived in Chicago. How Boston couldnt find a spot for her is a mystery to me. I was also surprised at Schmidts offensive game that Herman does a yeoman's job in suppressing on the NT. Players like Matheson, Scott, Sesselman and Sinclair were pretty much as advertised. LeBlanc's play was a bit of a revelation to me to the point where I wonder if the less impressive McLeod is the way to ge. ALso, for a team built around defense, most of their defenders disappointed.

12. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I know there was concern about mexico players not getting playing time but if they want to become a factor they will need to play in a top pro league and get better to earn their playing time.
    As dor Canada with all of the teams in the US the teams will fill out there rosters with the best young US players.
    TFC and maybe even a young OSEG organization would love to add a NWSL team to the soccer side as a sister team to the Fury NASL team. Both have a synergy with several sports and the facilities to make it happen. This way they can fill out there rosters with some young up and coming Canadian players

13. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Australians by a mile.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  14. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    As i understand it the Women's pro league there started in 2008 is also run by their federation and all but one of their 6 or 8 teams as a brother team in the mens A league.
    I wonder if they would consider paying for its top layers salaries to play here in a league where you know that there are already about 40 World class players already in the league between the US and Canada.
    I think there were 5 aussies in the league and it could be possible that they could go back to the federation and make such a suggestion.