Which player that has not been called up by Gregg will make the WC roster?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 30, 2022.

1. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Barring a torrent run of form, Sargent and Brooks are highly unlikely for Qatar.

2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what that means. We have 3 midfielders. Tyler Adams plays defensive mid in the center.

3. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It just means the 8 role that we play -- the one you slotted Sargent into -- is different than the 6 role that Tyler and it's different than the outside midfielder role in say, a flat 442.

The only midfield role I've seen Sargent play is that outside role -- something that is much more akin to how he plays winger than what the US asks of our 8. Perhaps Sargent could do the latter, but he's never played that role.

4. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If one of a number of strikers start off hot (or continue to be hot in MLS) I could see them getting a look.

I think Paredes is the answer if he gets time. Berhalter always gushes about him and apparently he made a huge impression during the December camp.

Could also see a good start for Taylor Booth resulting in a surprise call up

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paredes has no US caps and got 2 appearances with Wolfsburg since January. You can forget about him. It's too late.

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    It's a new season. If he wins a starting spot right away, he's in the conversation, because his position is a position without a solid backup option. This cycle will officially be over for him if he doesn't win a starting spot in preseason.

theboogeyman and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  7. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hes not a left back.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Pretty close to my thinking. I'd drop Yedlin and have Cannon back up at rb since Scally can also play rb. Yedlin gets beat too much.

I think Brooks just might not be a Berhalter chemistry guy so I've dropped him.

I don't know how we could end up with a back up dmid Acosta who isn't a dmid.

I'd drop McK because I think he makes the team play worse but that's just me. I'd put Reyna in that spot. Arriola would go RW instead of Reyna since Berhalter loves him.

I'd add Morris to one of the slots opened up from dropping Brooks and Yedlin. I dont know who 5th cb would be - I wonder what happened to Miazga. EPB didn't convince me. Miazga can play left or right.

So, the 2 players whom Berhalter has not called up (recently) per thread title would be Miazga and Sargent.

9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defensive midfielder is the role that Acosta has played for the National Team.

10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In reference to the question that leads this thread: "No one".

11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    The only ones with remote chances would be Ebo, Vasquez, Tolkin, and some mysterious keeper. The rest have been to one of camps or have a logjam ahead of them. Really doubt about Tolkin, should have a mini disaster for a new keeper, Vasquez would need more trials than are available. Pessimistic Ebobisse might be the closest one.

headerdunce repped this.
  12. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Agree that Ebobisse is a legitimate option. If he keeps producing, he might be in Qatar.

I also like Taylor Booth a lot, but we really are stacked in midfield. So absent some injuries, he’s likely outside the 26.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hoping EPB can secure him a spot for Qatar.

14. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the reason Pablo didn't have many caps was because he didn't get his US citizenship until 2001.

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    99.9%.

There better be a very good reason and I can't think of one. I know Gregg said in an interview (in response to the question do we have a true 9) that he was watching a variety of nines to see if any get in fantastic form. I suppose that's the 1% chance I was thinking of. The other 99% is making a decision on how to play the team in the remaining friendlies so the players know each other well.

I don't need to see Sarge at striker because I don't think he has it there at WC level. If he wants to call him and use him as mezala to close out a game that's fine.

I didn't need to see Haji Wright's act last time he was called in, much less so in Sept.

I don't think Dike cuts it in Qatar and wonder how much time would be lost in teaching him fundamentals since I believe he had some very limited minutes with us too,

Those three are guys who have actually had minutes with us. Guys who haven't like Vazquez, say? No way unless there's overwhelming evidence he could fit in on the fly.

For better or worse, Berhalter is stuck with the guys he did call and without the guys he did not call.

Time's up.

TOAzer repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This guy's from Birmingham, Alabama. First black artist with a 1M + hit in UK. Is it just me or does he bear a slight resemblance to Chris Richards?

17. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Michael Bradley

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Bradley had 8 caps in 2019 under Berhalter.

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Brandon Vasquez has a chance to get an invite.

Pl@ymaker, NietzscheIsDead and butters59 repped this.
  20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He has. Might be one of those late bloomers, as big strikers frequently are. Might have learned to play from Luchi Acosta. He's actually had a good U-17 WC where he scored 2 goals out of team's 3, outlayed Haji Wright and took starting position from him. Adams, CP, and LDLT were also on that team.

Pl@ymaker and LouisZ repped this.
  21. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Smart, skilled, strong. But will he finish plays when he’s on the field with Pulisic and McKennie? That’s always the question.

I really like the looks of this guy. He’s patient/wise with the ball and adds to build up play.

22. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    All we need is a guy who can get on the end of balls from Pulisic/Dest/Weah/Robinson and put them in the corner.

Where is Brian Ching when you need him? That guy would have scored a ton in qualifying. He couldn’t create, but he finished anything that came near him.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #73 LouisZ, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    USMNT scout is at the Cin game tonite. They want to take a closer at Vazquez.
    The KId is big at 6'3; 185 with speed. He can also play with his back to goal. His link play tooks to be solid.
    I'm watching the game and his game is what is reported. So far, he hasn't any close ball for a scoring chance.

And just now, Vazquez scored against Phili

Pl@ymaker and The Clientele repped this.
  24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vasquez is stealing a forward spot from someone. It's just a question of who.

So uhhh......yeah, we will be having at least one "out of nowhere" guy making this roster, probably Vasquez. Maybe Parades if he can get some games at Wolfsburg?

The Clientele repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Vasquez will have to prove it at the camp. He's earned a chance to impress Berhalter at the camp.

Wright had earned a chance at camp to impress Berhalter, and apprently didn't do it.

There's no reason to predetermine that Vasquez will win the spot. People were saying Wright would several months ago.

I think he's legitimately the only guy uncapped under Berhalter with a shot (barring an injury crisis). I don't really see an opening for Paredes if everybody is healthy.

The Clientele and Pl@ymaker repped this.