Which of these Newbies will pull a surprise in Germany?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Eowin, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Eowin

Eowin New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    Switzerland
    Ukraine
    Trinida & Tobago
    Ghana
    Togo
    Serbia & Montenegro
    Cote d'Ivoire

:)

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh great, you've revived the "is Serbia a debutant" discussion...they're not, but I predict that won't stop a few pages of debate.

(objectively speaking, Czech Republic is more of debutant than Serbia & Montenegro, though I don't think either qualifies)

3. soccerguy3119

soccerguy3119 New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Ukraine is goin to b the biggest surpise out of them all

4. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Ghana. But I hate saying it will be a surprise, because they are a great team.

And a lot of people might be perplex if Angola beats Mexico.

5. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Angola can beat Mexico. Just like Ghana can beat the US. Dangerous teams.

6. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Dangerous they are, but people are unable or refuse to recognize it.

7. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dammit, not another idiot who thinks Serbia-Montenegro is a newbie :rolleyes:

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I'm thinkin' Togo could pull off a second round place. Not fashionable, but there it is.

9. toneroll

toneroll New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    mancunian in FL
    i dont think the ukraine will do nearly as good as a lot of people think, they only have shevchkenko , then thats about it..

i put ivory coast... i saw them draw italy not too long ago... they are like this world cup's senegal..

10. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to go with two: The Ukraine and Trinidad and Tobago. The Ukraine will go far--They are a solid team, but also their group is realistic. The Ukraine is the only one of the debut teams with a realistic chance to win their group. None of the other debutantes can make that claim.
    T&T are my other choice. For one, nobody rates them, and for two, they have an amazing coach. No team in qualification played the USA tougher than T&T, and they even managed to beat Mexico. While I don't expect them to advance, I expect them to play lively football and will probably get 3 points-- I can see them getting a result from Paraguay or Sweden.
    Unfortunately, the other teams are placed in difficult groups. Serbia and Cote d'Ivoire may draw each other, but not much else. Ghana will have her moments, but it's unrealistic to expect great results three times. That is very unfortunate for Ghana--They are an amazing team stuck in a very dangerous group. In perhaps any other group (Besides C), they would be a real danger to advance.

11. ASroma90

ASroma90 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    yeah serbia is not a newbie.........see yugoslavia....almost the same

:p

12. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Serbia is the complete same country as Yougoslavia at WC 98 and Euro 2000 where they reached the second round and the quarterfinal. Serbians must be annoyed like hell because of all those idiots who keep on referring to Serbia as a newby.

Go do some homework

13. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    do you realize that shevchenko didn't play in half of the qualifying matches?

14. tabgio

tabgio New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    NYC
    Ukraine won their qualifying group which included Turkey, Denmark and Greece.
    They also are in a easy group, should they finish second to spain they have a path to the quarterfinals and possibly Semifinals.

Rnd. 2 Ukr > Fra./Swiss

Quart. Ukr.> Italy/Czech/Croatia

Semifinals Ukr. v Ger./Neth./Arg./Por.

15. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thats pretty impresssive on Ukraine's part. :cool:

16. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Very good. I was about to post a similar observation. I think they will be eliminated in quarterfinals, but who knows, they are a better team than a lot of people think. It's not just Shevchenko.

17. fk51785

fk51785 New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Florida
    Ukraine ... They will probably make the Round of 16 ...

18. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I came into this thread to say the same thing... :cool:

19. toneroll

toneroll New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    mancunian in FL
    erm , lets see i havnt looked into it yet but i'll take a wild guess , the half of matches he didnt take part in DID NOT include denmark and turkey???

correct? coz the rest were fodder.

greece , crap(despite euro , i dont care what anyone says , they play ugly football and have been found out over the last 2 years ) and the rest?
    albania , georgia and kaka stan. could the last three ties be the ones he sat out from by any chance???

either way my OPINION still stands .. they won't do as good as people think they will

20. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
  21. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is arguing that. What they aren't is a new TEAM. The Serbian team is the former Yugoslavian team. Same stadium, support structure, etc....

22. Buschkauz

Buschkauz New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    im Pfälzer Wald
    ukraine can go to the quarters or further, ghana and ivory coast could reach round 2.

23. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would've picked ghana or the ivory coast, but they got put in the 2 toughest groups, and while 1 might make it out, due to Ukraine's easy group, I can see them making it possibly to the quarters, and so they get my pick.

24. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, people are arguing that. The Yugoslavia that existed for much of the 20th century constituted Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Macedonia, Montenegro and Kosovo (I think that takes care of it). So, people want to argue that Serbia & Montenegro is a "new" debutant now because it's not the same Yugoslavia as much of the 20th century. The problem is that it is the exact same territorial state as the Yugoslavia that took part in WC 1998 (Croatia, Slovenia, Macedonia and Bosnia were all independent by then). The only slight difference from 1998 is that Kosovo is now a quasi-international protectorate. Still, it's technically part of Serbia & Montenegro territorially for now.

So, the ONLY tangible political difference from the WC98 Yugoslavia team and the WC06 Serbia & Montenegro team is the name change. Calling Serbia & Montenegro a debutant would be like calling Flanders & Wallonia a debutant if Belgium ever decided to change it's name.

Czech Republic is more of a debutant than Serbia & Montenegro (at least the Czechs have lost territory since their last finals appearance), but even claiming that they qualify as debutants is a pretty big stretch.

25. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    why does serbia count?? cuase they were in it in 98 as yugoslavia...

and if you think b/c of that counts count czech republic in even tho they were previously czechoslovakia and played in the wc in 90...

personally it will prob be ukraine to do the most damage out of the newbies.