Which of the Old NASL teams are coming back?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by HeMan, Aug 10, 2012.

1. HeMan

HeMan Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Earth
    We've now got: Fort Lauderdale Strikers, Tampa Bay Rowdies, and New York Cosmos. FWIW, not to forget that in MLS, we have: Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, Vancouver Whitecaps, Montreal Impact, and San Jose Earthquakes. And new markets in the new NASL are Puerto Rico Islanders, Carolina Railhawks...and soon the Ottawa (Fury?). We could possible rebrand Minnesota Stars to Minnesota Kicks/Strikers, FC Edmonton to Edmonton Drillers, San Antonio Scorpions to San Antonio Thunder, and Atlanta Silverbacks to Atlanta Chiefs/Apollos. Of these, i would really only hope for Edmonton to adopt their old name.

So, who of the old NASL teams are coming back?

-Baltimore Bays/Comets
    -Cleveland Stokers
    -San Diego Toros/Sockers/Jaws
    -Las Vegas Quicksilver
    -Philadelphia Atoms/Fury
    -Oakland Clippers/Stompers
    -Tulsa Roughnecks
    -Rochester Lancers
    -Team Hawaii
    -Team America/Washington Diplomats/Whips/Darts
    -Toronto Blizzard/Falcons/Metros-Croatia
    -Vancouver Royals
    -Detroit Express
    -Boston Beacons/Minutemen
    -Colorado Caribous/Denver Dynamos
    -Chicago Mustangs/Sting
    -Dallas Tornado
    -Hartford Bicentennials
    -Houston Stars/Hurricane
    -Jacksonville/New England Tea Men
    -Kansas City Spurs
    -Los Angeles Wolves/Aztecs
    -Miami Toros/Gatos
    -St. Louis Stars
    -Memphis Rogues
    -Calgary Boomers
    -California (Anaheim) Surf
    -Montreal Olympique/Manic
    -New York Generals

Personally, i'd like to see: Tulsa Roughnecks, Las Vegas Quicksilver, Dallas Tornado, Memphis Rogues, Calgary Boomers, Baltimore Bays/Comets, Cleveland Stokers, and San Diego Toros return. I'd like to St. Louis and Detroit enter the league but under different names.

2. CapitalCityFC

CapitalCityFC Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    I really hope Washington Diplomats never makes a return.

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    and why ?

[​IMG]

ChuckDzzNutz repped this.
  4. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Wow. Couldn't shoehorn that gem into any one (please, not all of them) of the existing threads that have covered NASL expansion and why or why not it would be good to use old NASL monikers?

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/whos-next-in-the-nasl.1651631/

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/why-not-drillers-in-the-nasl.1927095/

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/bring-back-the-roughnecks.1256802/

5. CapitalCityFC

CapitalCityFC Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    It is the whole idea of trying to relive nostalgia of a fallen league. It might work in some places, but there is no realistic chance it can work in the D.C area.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Minnesota Kicks/Strikers"

Has a great right to is.

But I think if they do stick around their new identity is much better (plus I already have their shirt)

[​IMG]

7. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I hope the Stars stick around. One of the best badges in any league here in the States. Top five maybe.

8. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas Tornado would be a good one, if they could find a spot for an SSS closer to downtown or maybe SW of Dallas.

Although, FCD has trouble enough without D2 competition

9. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None.

But in places where there's really enough nostalgia for it to actually make a difference in the marketing, some of the names might, and that's a good time.

10. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ya, I also like the old Edmonton Drillers logo. The Drillers only failed because they were owned by Peter Pocklington who also owned the NHL Oilers. Because he had Gretzky, Messier, Fuhr, Lowe, Coffey, Anderson et al. he was paying out big money in a small market and those 1980's Oilers were making runs to the Stanley Cup each year.

The Drillers collapsed the same year the Oilers got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. Pocklington was expecting another 6-9 home games and it was the Drillers who suffered. He also had some jacka** plan to have the players sell tickets door to door.

11. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  12. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    I'd take a Team America return, but only if they enter every home match to the theme song from Team America: World Police.

13. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it were MLS, Garber would through a hissy, but I think Downs might be cool with it!

14. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    How about the Washington Whips - NASL 1969-

15. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    How about using the Washington Whips - USA 1967 - NASL 1968

[​IMG]

Or The Washington Darts - NASL 1970 - 1971

[​IMG]

16. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more ridiculous 70's logos and team names I see here, the more I think no more after the Cosmos... :p

CapitalCityFC repped this.
  17. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ya but what is worse? You can say that the old NASL name was the only one that had any attachment with the city.

Kansas City Spurs NASL
    Kansas City Comets MISL
    Kansas City Wiz MLS version 1.0
    Kansas City Wizards MLS version 2.0
    Sporting Kansas City MLS version 3.0

I mean there were actually horses in KC at one time. So Spurs is somewhat relevant. Maybe people remember Haleys Comet whilst living in KC, not so relevant. I can find no connection in my head between Wiz and KC? Maybe the old TV and appliance store? Who knows. So then they amended Wiz to Wizards, although I am not watching History Channel on a daily basis I somehow doubt Merlin lived in or visited Kansas City.

...........and for the greatest reach of a team name to city I've ever seen in my life. Sporting Kansas City. An absolute pandering and almost oily name that is trying to reach for a connection that nobody could connect.

I mean Bayern Kansas City or Inter Kansas City or Real Kansas City (actually this is used in SLC) or Queens Park Kansas City or................this could go on for hours.

I don't think any of the names has much relevance and some of them are just bizarro.

18. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ I was always under the impression that the Wiz/Wizards was in reference to the Wizard of Oz. "We're not in Kansas anymore" ring a bell?

ChuckDzzNutz and ManuSooner repped this.
  19. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. And unfortunately, this was one of the few names that Adidas/Nike came up with for MLS 1.0 that made any sense to me, in relation to the city. IMHO it would have been better if they had INITIALLY called the team WIZARDS, instead of TheWiz....
    Dallas Burn. Unless this was in reference to the hellacious sunburn you'd get watching an afternoon game at the Cotton Bowl...
    San Jose Clash. Was there a major fracas in the bay area that I'm not aware of?
    Tampa Bay Mutiny. Pirate Ships, perhaps? Still doesn't explain the Bacardi bat on the crest.

20. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry but that doesn't look anything like the Barcadi bat.

Obviously the "Mutiny" name ties in with the TB Buccaneers and the pirate theme. However I don't think a word meaning "an open rebellion against the captain" is the best name for a soccer team lol. The bat story I've always heard is that there were bats living in old Tampa Stadium.

It certainly speaks to the stupidity of those early MLS brands that most of them no longer exist(in Florida's case the teams are gone completely).

21. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would the fate of Tampa Bay been any different if they had pulled a SJ and said, "Screw this Mutiny crap! We're gonna be The Rowdies!"? Or was it too far gone to be saved? I'm not really acquainted with what actually went on in the end.

22. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It varies depending on who you ask. It certainly couldn't have hurt. Just 3 years before the Mutiny took the field, the Rowdies - the same organization that started in 1975 - was still playing in the APSL. The shine had largely worn off by then, but it was still the local soccer tradition. It may very well have increased support, but bottom line was they still needed an owner. If they were drawing 15K a game they probably would have gotten that done at some point.

It probably would have made a bigger difference with the Fusion, there was (and still is) a big cultural/identity difference between Fort Lauderdale and Miami, in addition to the 30 mile drive. Once they gave on up trying to get the Orange Bowl as the home stadium and settled on Lockhart they should have dropped the Miami name. Despite being lumped together as the "South Florida" market, a "Miami" team playing in Fort Lauderdale makes about as much sense from a marketing standpoint as "DC United" playing in Baltimore would. It's too far for the namesake city's fans and it's saying "you're not worthy enough to name the team after" to the host city.

Would it have saved the teams? Who knows. Would have been interesting to find out though.

SiberianThunderT and brentgoulet repped this.