Which of the new boys will make the biggest impact in 2005?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by bigdush, Jan 17, 2005.

1. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Which of the new acquisitions will make the biggest impact for the Rapids in 2005 and why?

I'm thinking Cunningham will make the biggest impact. I'm feeling that he's going to play very well. Just something about the Clavijo-Cunningham-Murphy combo that I think can be extraordinary.

If Luchi is comes on board I think he's a close second. I'm hoping he brings a little life to the middle and lets our old dudes, chunger and hendo, stick to the outside a little more (stop cheating to the middle to "help" control it).

2. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about Cunningham. My prediction is the rest will be on the development roster with the possible exception of Freeman. Luchi is interesting, but my impression is that he really didn't get anywhere in MLS initially and may not be so hot on coming back just yet.

I don't remember Chung ever not cheating to the middle going back to the Metros and KC.

3. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agreed, Cunningham is #1. That said, I believe Cullen and Freeman will make solid contributions. IMO - Leo Cullen was a great deal for a 3rd Round Draft Pick (33rd overall).

4. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Since Freeman is P-40, he'll definitely be on the developmental roster - of course, Nat Borchers and Jordan Cila prove that doesn't mean DP's can't have an impact.

Nevertheless, the answer is clearly Cunningham, who's got to be a starter. After him, it's a competition between Luchi and Freeman - considering Luchi doesn't really have a position, I'd definitely bet on Hunter.

5. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    I think Cunningham will be our marquis player.

6. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm hoping that Leo Cullen at least tries to comeback and that Steve Nicol didn't completely hoodwink us.

Otherwise, I have no doubt that of the new boys so far, Cunningham will have the greatest impact barring anything negative happening.

7. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marc Connolly put out a draft day recap and winners and losers analysis. Here's what he had to say about Colorado as a winner.

8. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Marc Connolly article gives decent marks to Colorado draftees.

I like seeing that last one. Maybe this is a statement to how shallow the Rapids rosters is, but I like thinking all three Rapids draftees might make the team as opposed to last year when one did.

9. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    I think the player that will make the biggest impact is yet to be signed. Clavijo is famous for bringing in some new foreign talent and we'll be seeing his latest come April.

10. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Dammit..................I didn't think of that.

11. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Without a doubt Cunningham will make an impact for us. How can he not when our attack stunk so bad last year. Unless he catches Zizipowitis, but he is not a SI so he has some natural immunities I hope.

12. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with Rei here. Cunningham got 9 goals and had 4 assists for 22 points last season. That was in 1,856 minutes. Remember, there are 2,700 minutes in a 30 games season like we had last year not including the playoffs, which these numbers don't. That is 9.3 games worth of time he didn't play in. If he can repeat his production, with more time he'll go over 10 goals. That will be better than anyone on our 2004 roster. Heck, he had a better 2004 than anyone on our roster. He's going to contribute and he's going to improve this team.

In addition there is virtually zero chance of him getting called up for WC Qualifying as The Bruce has passed him over for youth (unless Ching, Landon, Mathis, McBride, Razov, Buddle, Eskandarian, E. Johnson, Wolff all go down injured at the same time). We don't have to worry about him being gone or playing a tough summer schedule and getting tired. So long as he works hard and stays healthy we're good.

13. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The PDL Kraze of central Florida have said that Eric Vasquez, who trained with the Rapids before the '04 playoffs is still talking to the Rapids about a contract. This guy was a pre-season nominee for the Herman Trophy then didn't go back to school because of personal reasons. I'm not sure if he was trying to sign overseas or what the deal was. He helped lead the Kraze to the PDL title over the Rapids Reserve. He'll be an interesting candidate for the reserve squad but I wouldn't expect anything too solid since he's basically been taking a year off soccer since summer '04.

14. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    According to a thread on the Yanks Abroad board, Luchi G. is coming back to the MLS playing for the Rapids.

Hopefully, he has a good impact, not only on the team, but the league, i.e. we need more "marketable" american talents, with the loss of Beasley, Donovan, etc.