Which non-UEFA-CONMEBOL team has a shot at glory in '06?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by a_guy, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Karimi8Rulz

Karimi8Rulz New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    it would be a shame if Nigeria doesn't make it. They play nice football.

Iran's group will be most likely: one African(CAF), one CONCACAF, and one UEFA
    (Iran vs USA again??)

2. auf Amerika

auf Amerika Member

Jul 11, 2004
    iran will face these teams in the world cup:

seeded europe, europe, africa/south america/australia
    brazil or argentina, europe, africa/australia
    mexico, europe, africa/south america/australia

there won't be an iran/usa rematch, unless in the second round

3. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C
    not MExico... if that;s why you have started this thread...

I say none unless it hosts the WC...

4. SiempreFutbol

SiempreFutbol New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Granite Falls
    USA, Mexico, or one of the African teams.

5. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

The only way an AFC, CAF and CONCACAF teams will be in the same group is if one of them is seeded. From these confederations, Right now only Mexico is projected to be seeded. So you are down to 1/8 probability which is not "most likely".

If you do the full calculation the chances of any AFC team being in such a group are no more than 8.3% and might be less than 4.2% (depending on Pots composition and which teams win the 1/2 spots).

Most likely for an AFC team (or any other team) is to be in a group with two UEFA teams (75% probability).

6. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I think any team that comes out of Africa except from the Nigeria/Angola group will be capable of going far in the tournament. Especially Togo, Cote d'Ivoire, and Ghana, who will be out to prove something like Senegal was last time since they will all be "first-timers".

7. a_guy

a_guy New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Texas
    No, what I meant when I said don't turn this into a USA/Mexico hate-fest is that I did not put this thread in the World Rivalries forum for a reason ;)

8. Karimi8Rulz

Karimi8Rulz New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    The only way an AFC, CAF and CONCACAF teams will be in the same group is if one of them is seeded. From these confederations, Right now only Mexico is projected to be seeded. So you are down to 1/8 probability which is not "most likely".

If you do the full calculation the chances of any AFC team being in such a group are no more than 8.3% and might be less than 4.2% (depending on Pots composition and which teams win the 1/2 spots).

Most likely for an AFC team (or any other team) is to be in a group with two UEFA teams (75% probability)

:D :D :D

I don't know where you get your info to be so sure about, but I thought most likely 6 teams from UEFA plus Brazil & Argentine will be seeded. If we are in a UEFA seeded group then we also get one from CONCACAF and one from CAF.

but don't get all worked up ;)

9. klitz

klitz New Member

Apr 29, 2005
    jax
    south korea. they have the advantage of speed because they've been trained to run away from the north as fast as they can.

10. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    You were wrong before and your statements above are wrong as well. :(

See WC06 seeding formula to find out who is likely to be seeded.

Pot B will be made up of >=8 UEFA teams (14 qualifiers - x seeded). This means that every group with a UEFA top seed get a 2nd UEFA team and if there are less than 6 UEFA seeded teams other group(s) will also get a 2nd UEFA team.

After the UEFA teams are drawn, there are at most two spots left in each group, it is impossible for a group with a UEFA top seed to have teams from AFC, CAF and CONCACAF (can't fit 3 teams into two spots).

Your apology is accepted.

11. Karimi8Rulz

Karimi8Rulz New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    you take this discussion too emotionally.

le me rephrase what I have been saying, Iran will do well regardless of what teams it's grouped with. :D

12. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    USA, Iran, Japan, South Korea, and Mexico look great for '06.

13. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C
    and i say not mexico.

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mexico is the best non-UEFA-CONMEBOL team, but they might send too big of a message during the Confederation Cup. It might end up hurting them more than it helped them in the WC Finals. The element of surprises is gone!!!

15. Karimi8Rulz

Karimi8Rulz New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Mexico is a very good team but their height disadvantage will work against them, and that part of their game will be exploited.

16. Spectreman

Spectreman New Member

Feb 2, 2003
    NW America
    Mexico has the best chance. Africa team X, that is which ever of the African qualifiers do well there is always one, also has a good shot. I predict an African team will reach the semis but there's no way one will make it to the final let alone win it. USA I think will go to the quarters but I can't see them getting farther than that. No Asian team will get farther than the round of 16 maybe not even that far. If Austraila qualifies they might turn a few heads.

17. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say Mexico or the USA. Not sure why so many are putting Mexico ahead of the US in chances when the two teams have played frequently over the years and Mexico has not beaten the US outside of Mexico in some time. That said, I think the teams are just about even and I could see either one advancing depending on the draw. Though the teams clearly have different strengths and weaknesses I would be interested to hear why so many have listed Mexico but not the US?

Of course, I certainly may be biased as I watch a ton more CONCACAF matches than any other federation and don't know enough about Japan or the Ivory Coast to make a reasonable determination on their chances for advancing.

18. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

yes i admit we wont have much of a home crowd but i did hear a huge amount of koreans will go to germany for world cup, regardless if they have a ticket to the games or not..

the crowd was a factor in 2002 and i know we got lucky, but we did get some decent young players like Park Chu Young. and park ji sung, lee young pyo got some better skills being with hiddink.. i dont think we'll win the tournament, but id be satisfied go to at least round of 16

some footage of the rising Korean star Park Chu Young
    http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2DSTEPORPHCI134A5QWQNBGVTC

19. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I was wondering why nobody had mentioned this. We've won 6, lost 2, and drawn 1 in our last 9 meetings with Mexico and haven't lost to them outside of Azteca in over 6 years.