Which newspapers provide the best coverage for SkyBlue FC?

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by REALfootballRulez, Aug 20, 2009.

1. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm asking this in the main forum because the SkyBlue forum has the least traffic among all WPS team forums.

I'm just wondering what articles there are on SkyBlue by their local papers before the Championship game. All I've seen is NJ.com and there's got to be something better than that.

Makes you realize how good the Post Dispatch coverage has been for the Athletica. Best in all of WPS.

2. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'll admit that I haven't followed every newspaper's coverage of WPS, I have to agree that the Post-Dispatch certainly has been one of the best if not the best, at least of the ones I know of. Timmermann had interviews with Antonucci and Rampone, plus at least 2 or 3 additional stories/blogs leading up to the playoff match. He also had three after the match. So at least 7 different columns or blogs on one playoff game.

We're pretty lucky in general in the St. Louis area. The Alton-Telegraph, one of the secondary newspapers in the area, has also covered the team well. I don't post links to their articles as much as the Post, but they do a nice job, especially for a smaller paper.

Perhaps, that's one of the advantages of being from a smaller market. Some of the large papers in large markets have more competition for space on the sports page and almost seem to think it is beneath them to do much coverage on women's soccer.

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the Washington Post does a decent job on the Freedom, particularly when you factor in their soccer blog, but the Redskins and Nationals get the lion's share of the coverage.

4. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you guys have any sources for news/preview of the final besides NJ.com, LAtimes.com or the WPS site?

NJ.com and the LAtimes are both awful.

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Times has pathetic coverage of women's sports in general. Even in the years when they were a world-class newspaper, I always felt they were behind when it came to women's coverage - didn't seem like a progressive paper in a major American city. Another example - the Gina Carano / Cris Cyborg fight that set a Showtime record for MMA last weekend. Most googled, most Yahoo searches of the week. The day before the fight, there's an article on boxing on a Klitschko fight that's supposedly happening in a couple months. Absolutely pathetic. I've always said so. You can quote me on it and you can quote me as saying I think their dismissal of women's sports is an embarrassment.

6. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think NJ.com is basically the Star Ledger which is based in Newark (northern NJ) and the major NJ paper. The Star Ledger has really been downsized over the last couple of years. Rutgers, where Sky Blue plays, is in central NJ and used to complain about a lack of sports coverage.

The soccer reporter is Frank Giase who has a weekly print column and also covers the Red Bulls. Most of the Sky Blue coverage has been post game "shorts".

I was impressed with the Washington Post story on the Sky Blue game esp the length.

7. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    No. We're not playing this game. If you want to rename it Championship coverage or WPS coverage in papers, then fine, I'll be happy to move it back. But as it stands, it's going to the SBFC forum.

I understand your point, but how do you expect the traffic to get any better if you just post it on the main WPS board? That's not exactly encouraging people to go to the team forum.

8. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    The Bergen Record has a small piece giving game results.

9. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States