Which is the more successful team: Italy or Germany?

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by seadondo, Jun 16, 2008.

1. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    PKs play sadly (ridiculously?) a huge role in these international tournaments and, so, must be factored in.

2. ztnjv

ztnjv Member

Apr 22, 2007
    PA
    Of course. Yet, I feel somewhat compelled to mention its relevance in evaluating teams.

Italy in PK's:

90 SF vs. ARG (lost). Clearly the better team and wound up missing a final vs. Germany (who were somewhat outplayed by ENG but also won on PKs)

94 Final vs. BRA (lost)
    98 QF vs. FRA (lost)...France went on to win it all.
    06 vs. FRA (won...finally)

Germany

82 SF vs. FRA (won) reached final and lost
    86 QF vs. MEX (won) reached final and lost
    90 SF vs. ENG (won) reached final and won
    06 QF vs. ARG (won) reached semis and lost

Yes, it's part of the game but it's a crap shoot in a lot of ways. Again, it's a tribute to Germany's consistency and diligence that they have never been denied by the PK lottery but it's a worthy tid bit to consider when looking at teams' performances.

3. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    You're preaching to the choir. I don't think that the PK lottery SHOULD play a huge role in these things. We have to be realistic about it, though.

4. ztnjv

ztnjv Member

Apr 22, 2007
    PA
    I know. We know all too well.:(

But you are not the only one reading this. Something for others to chew on in case it never crossed their mind.;)

5. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    Yeah, because a European championship is generally considered to be as prestigious as a World Cup :rolleyes: Hence the weighting.

Would you rather that I weight a World Cup 2 points instead of 1.5 so that Italy would have more points than Germany instead of an equal number of points?

P.S. You should rename this poll: How many Italian fans are there on BigSoccer as opposed to German fans? :rolleyes: Do you guys really think you'll get objective opinions here?

6. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Actually we lost our first ever penalty shoot-out in 1976 in the european championship final to Czechoslovakia. What a string of sucess we had at that time:
    WC 1966; 2nd place
    EC 1968; DNQ
    WC 1970; 3rd place
    EC 1972; Champion
    WC 1974; Champion
    EC 1976; 2nd place
    WC 1978; 8th place
    EC 1980; Champion

7. ztnjv

ztnjv Member

Apr 22, 2007
    PA
    Well, I was actually only referring to WC PK shootouts. I wasn't even thinking of EC...but I had no idea they'd lost the 76 final on PK's. Interesting.

8. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That was the one and only time that we have lost in PK's. Its a shame that was our chance to win 3 consecutive international tournaments.

9. Roland25

Roland25 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Germany / Aachen
    Definitely Germany. The only way for Italy to top Germany is to count only its 4 WC golds against Germany 3's and to ignore other statistics. Germany has been in total 16 (Now 17) semi-finals combined in EU and WC. They reached 12 times to finals, and won 6 titles. Italy has still a long way to reach the record of Germany. Since 1954 Germany has always been among the best 8 teams in WC.

Not forgetting that Italy's first two titles happend before WWII, when football has not been developed enough yet (Actually both Germany and Brazil were average teams and Olympic games were taken more seriously by strong countries of time like England, Hungary)

10. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Well, that's not the only way. As has been mentioned Italy consistently tops Germany head-to-head. But I do agree that Germany has a more impressive resume' for what it's worth.

11. Roland25

Roland25 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Germany / Aachen

That's a point. Head to head Germany is behind Italy, specially in official games our Bilan is a disaster. Who knows, may be in this Euro we break this Talasim. Lest's hope both teams to reach final :cool:

12. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Well Germany are already in the Final, our mission is much more difficult...

13. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    oh don't say that

first they must focus on playing good football...any other thoughts and they'll find themselves not playing their best football on the field. Only their best football will make a win very sure.

14. Roland25

Roland25 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Germany / Aachen
    I do agree. Turkey is a very dangerouse team. Like a Boxer who has the lesser technical abilities but would never knock down until the last minuets. We need FULL concentration against them, otherwise we are out.

15. Khaloisha

Khaloisha Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Milano
    I wouldn't underestimate Turkey, they made an absurd comeback 3 times already in this EC.

16. ViscaBarca

ViscaBarca Member

Mar 26, 2004
    London
    how about giving half a point for the one Mussolini got you?

17. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Have to be a joke :D.

18. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Germany has more trophies in the whole, but Italy has more WC. Tough call, really, although I prefer the Italians. Nowadays, they're more powerful than the Germans, no doubt.

In terms of clubs, there's no questioning, but in terms o NT it is pretty even. Germany's victory in 1954 was a total robbery due to their infamous "vitamin C", so I'd say Italy.

19. PoliGuru

PoliGuru New Member

Jul 18, 2007
  20. Roland25

Roland25 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Germany / Aachen
    A very nice joke. The biggest robbery of century was Italy's title in 1934. It was actually no World Cup tournament but a Mussolini one.

21. German Ham

German Ham New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    The fact that anyone could even think to try to discredit Germany's 1954 win yet not even mention Italy's 1934 "win" just baffles the mind.

22. J.C.80

J.C.80 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    What about the 1990 world cup? The penalty against Czechoslovakia? The penalty and red cards against Argentina?

You germans always complain of italian "robberies"... look at yourself for once.

23. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This thread is gonna get ridiculous in the meanwhile ... but you really could see it comming.

24. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    It even baffles the mind once one considers that the 1934 WC has already been mentioned in this thread several times?

25. German Ham

German Ham New Member

Aug 24, 2006

I was referring to Todorov's post in particular.