Which expansion name sucks more?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by rokstedy, Nov 4, 2004.

1. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I was telling my friend about the league's expansion teams and when she heard the names, she thought they were unoriginal and dumb.

"Real Salt Lake? What's so royal about that place?"

"Chivas USA? That's it? Well I guess you don't want to be called "baby goats" as pro team now, would you?"

Which got me wondering: which one of these sounds more worse?

2. SoundgardenSoccerbal

May 24, 2004
    Los Angles
    Chivas name really sucks cuz it is so unoriginal. the other team isn't even called chivas. (C.D. gaudalajara) chivas is a nickname. it would have been better C.D.Los Angles. and we all no what country were in why do you have to stick usa in there. :mad:

I feel a lot better now ;)

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I was thinking about this the other day. I know this thread will get bashed as beating a dead horse - but who gives a damn?

Real Salt Lake is an odd choice - but I like it now. It has grown on me like moss facing eastward.

CD Chivas USA is just fine.

One of the small joys of following soccer is looking across league tables across the world and seeing some unique team names. They are a bit more original than just the city name plus fill in the blank nickname.

Teams like Crystal Palace and Sheffield Wednesday. Hannover 96. Racing Santander and Newell's Old Boys. Bohemians and Shamrock. Crusaders. Hearts. Grasshoppers. Corinthians. Lokomotiv Moscow. And many more.

Part of the charm of soccer for me is the unique team names. MLS now has a bit more of that now than the usual Pittsburgh Blas vs the Philadelphia Bla Blas.

Real Salt Lake
    CD Chivas USA
    FC Dallas
    DC United

But that's just me, I guess.

4. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    REAL Salt lake has a nice logo, but they have a BAD NAME...

CHIVAS- IS A TEAM FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY!!!!!!!! But still the name, the idea all suck.. Now the soccer and intrest we must wait and see..

DALLAS FC 96- nice logo. BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD NAME. In two years time they'll be known as the 96 ers... and called 69 ers by rival teams... lol. :p

5. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, its only fair... If you are going to say that the new names "suck", it seems you should be putting yourself out by suggesting what YOU think they should be called.

Go ahead. I'm waiting to hear them, I want to make a poll.

Lee

6. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I can live with Real (probably get renamed), but CD Chivas USA?

7. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah.

8. bettendor

bettendor New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Iowa
    Real Salt Lake. It was the only name of the two that caused to keep pondering two hours after I found out going "Real Salt Lake?" It still doesn't make sense. Unless there are more Hispanics in Utah that I give it credit for.

9. mls2atl

mls2atl Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i couldnt vote for a name because i love and hate them equally. real salt lake has grown on me and i love the badge and uniforms. cd chivas usa, though i thought cd l.a. would have been better and they could have been more original on the logo, even though i think they could have done a better job on the branding im not upset with them. i really dont care what the names are anymore, as long as the play on the field is good. there are even names that we currently have that i hate more than rsl or chivas, wizards and metrostars for example. lets just hope that next year will be more exciting and even more every year after.

10. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats what I thought.

Lee

11. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    You suck for starting yet another thread about this.

12. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    It's all subjective. I say bring back the Clash and the Burn.

13. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So your friend already knew the meaning of the word Real?

Cool.

14. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't particularly love either name, but if I had to choose the worse one, I'd probably go with CD Chivas USA. Real is awful, don't get me wrong, but as Northside said, it is kinda growing on me (and we could always just say RSL instead).

But in my opinion, both "Real Salt Lake" and "Chivas USA" are the soccer equivalent of "Euro Disney".

15. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I know.

Yes, she knows Real. A Eurosnob really.

From what I gather from previous topics, both names in general seem to suck, so I was curious to see which one sucked more according to you fine fellow netizens of Bigsoccer.

16. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would've been unoriginal, calling for Alliance (another person's idea) for SLC and the Goats (translation of Chivas) for LA #2. If those suck to you, so be it.