Which Defender do we trade and what do we get for him?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by drace768, Mar 18, 2005.

1. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    With the addition of Mulrooney, FCD is the only team in MLS with a true surplus of defenders. FCD needs another forward or possible a left mid.

While there are several teams looking for help on defense, the three that are openly saying they need someone are: New England, DC, and Metros.

IMO the three defenders that would most likely be available in a trade are:
    1. Steve Jolley - Is a proven starter, would get the most in return, free up the most cap space, but would leave our defense VERY YOUNG.
    2. Alex Yi - Youth International, physically gifted, big upside, but is an unknown quantity and appears to have fallen on the FCD depth chart.
    3. Chris Gbandi - LB are scarce enough in the league that a team may take a chance on Gbandi, hoping he will finally live up to the potential that made him the No. 1 pick in the draft.

None of these guys would bring us a top forward/mid from these teams: Moreno, Esky, Noonan, Twellman, Dempsey, Gaven.

What that leaves:
    1. John Wolyneic - Not sure he is what we want or need, plus Metros are thin at forward and he is a projected starter.
    2. Mike Magee - Can play forward or mid, is young, but would only add depth. Alex Yi seems like a good swap for him.
    3. Sergio Galvan Rey - PLEASE NO!
    4. Santino Quaranta - Might be worth Gbandi or Yi. Could FCD do for him what it did for his strike partner on the youth sides, EJ? If so this could be a steal.
    5. Jamil Walker - journeyman forward at best.

It does not seem like we could get much help, unless we packaged some draft picks with the defender, and even then it does not seem like those teams would give up their top guys. Anybody heard if other teams trying to find defenders? Do they have anything at forward worth trading for?

2. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    I still think that one of Vanney's best attributes is his free kick ability and his crossing. I would hate to take him out of the left back spot. Plus, left back is still weak on the team.

However, one thought to have is that if Moor is indeed progressing rapidly, then you could make the case that Vanney plays in the middle until Moor is ready, and then moves over to the left once the kid is ready to play.

Jolley has the most trade value, and because of Moor's eventual progression, I believe that he is the extra piece.

NE and DC are the teams in the league who desparately need a starting center back.

DC has the pieces to put together a trade. They have extra wingers (Quaranta comes to mind immediately). They desperately need defense.

That said, I don't know that Jolley would be a good fit for them. They want to move Petke out of the middle because of his lack of speed. Jolley doesn't exactly set himself apart in that sense.

NE is interesting. They need a central defender. But what pieces do they have to offer? Andy Dorman? You would think that Noonan and Dempsey are untouchables, but they want to play a 4-4-2, and they have Cancela, Dempsey and Joseph in the middle, Cassio, Ralston on the wings, Noonan and Twellman up top. So there is one extra player there... noonan?

3. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    The attaction of Jolley for DC would be that he and Petke already paired together with the Metros. It was not the greatest pairing in the world but it was not the worst either. The only thing is, what do you get for him? Quaranta would not be enough, and I doubt they give up Esky, Moreno, Adu or Gros. Although Guppy's arrival could make Gros available, but I am not sure that is what FCD is looking for.

4. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Jolley for Dema is a trade i'd make in fantasy land. However that obviously won't work in the real world. Gros isn't leaving but Quaranta plus a conditional pick if he doesn't play would be a generous offer.

5. br13

br13 New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Not to be too nitpicky...but first off, Chicago is looking at some serious depth in the back, as is LA, so I'm not sure that this is completely fair to say.

More to the central issue, I mentioned in another thread that I thought that the problem is that of the teams needing defensive help (I had included CDC) unfortunately none seem to have a lot of attacking talent to spare.

Buzz keeps mentioning a trade for a MLS starting forward (FYI - the impression I've gotten is that this potential MLS trade is for a starter - but I just did a quick check and couldn't find an exact quote), I just haven't been able to put that puzzle together of whom it could be. Personally, I'm not sure either Magee or Quaranta would yet qualify as a solid MLS starter. I keep thinking Davy Arnaud, but I don't know what KC would need in that trade - maybe Garlick...the allocation??? I don't see them needing a defender.

6. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    FYI, I meant to say Vanney, not Mulrooney. I should also re-phrase that FCD has the largest surplus of defenders, not the only surplus.

7. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Dallas does not need Doorman and there is no way NE trade Noonan (tied for the lead is scoring in MLS last year and had 10 goals in his rookie year) for anything less than another top MLS player. They might go for two defenders, but that would probably deplete Dallas too much.

8. algcs

algcs New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Dayton Tx
    Maybe we should by thinking of a 3 way trade. Who does have a lot of attacking talent to spare and what do they need?

San Jose seems to have a gult of forwards. Do they need someone like Doorman?

9. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    Jolley and Petke paired in a 4-4-2 in NY, I don't think it would be as effective in a 3 back.

And Quaranta is about all we could get. No way they woudl give up Gros, I would take him in a heartbeat.

10. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd trade Gbandi for a fence post.

11. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    I wonder if you could pull away a Noonan or Dempsey by packaging Garlick and Jolley? I don't think they have depth at keeper and Reis has mostly been a bench player for years. FCD could then sign Ring as Cassar's backup.

<edit> Rimando sucks for DC, I wonder if they would be interested in Garlick as well? Perhaps Garlick and Jolley for Gros and Q?

12. ghsdpu

ghsdpu New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Dorchester, MA
    I wonder if the Revs could pull away a Johnson or Mulrooney by packaging Reis and Felix Brillant?

13. F.C.D.

F.C.D. New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Dallas
    I would think that Garlick would not be tradeable. Unless as a starter, why would anyone want him and his high salary for backup duty. I'd think they would just go sign Ring themselves.

Plus why would NE give up one of their few young, talented future pieces for two guys on the verge of retirement.

Now Quaranta might be a possibility. He came into the League the same time Eddie did and they haven't gotten nearly the return on him as we have. Maybe they are ready to give up on him and dump his salary, which I'd bet is 50K-60K. But even if they were, I don't see him starting in front of Eddie, Mina, Rhine or Glen.

14. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quaranta is actually on 80-90k, IIRC.

15. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas

fixed your post :D

by the way isnt that just kind of an I say tomato you say tomahto thing.....i say gbandi you say fence post.....theyre really one and the same

16. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its definitely a trade of equals...but fence posts take up less cap space.

Now I know we have a history of pillaging the Revs in trades, but they would have to be INSANE to trade away Noonan or Dempsey. They may be the two best players on that team.

We will sooner get Lamar Hunt to write a check for our million dollar allocation than see those guys in an FCD uniform. We couldn't get them for anything less than EJ or Ronnie O plus picks.

17. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    :). Okay, you got me, wishful thinking on my part. I just keep looking at NE and up front they seem to have a lot of players, and too few spots.

18. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if we couldn't get Cancela out of them?

He's superflous to their needs. They're already super-crowded at center mid (Dempsey, Joseph, Dorman), Nichol benched him last year for a number of games, and their one offseason aquisition of note has been the signing of some Brazilian left winger named Cassio.

Cancela for some combination of Quill, Gbandi, and Jolley?

19. ghsdpu

ghsdpu New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Dorchester, MA
    I would think that Cancela can be had in the right deal.

...although this isn't it.

Don't need Quill. Don't want Gbandi... and I'd give you maybe a 2nd round pick for Jolley.

20. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    how about quill and Yi for cancela? i get the feelin he may be more trade bait than the others. far more upside and prob less on the ol cap

21. FC Dallas

FC Dallas New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    i don't know what the contract considerations are for alvarez; but jolley and alvarez for cancela would be a prudent move.

22. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Jolley and Alvarez is too much for Cancela. Alvarez's youth and potential make him too valuable in this deal. Plus if FCD is in a 4-3-3, where does Cancela play? Unless FCD uses Johnson and Glen high with Cancela tucked just behind them. But IMO FCD needs more true forwards on the roster.

23. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd trade Jolly and Alavarez for Cancela in a heartbeat. How many young players with talent just fizzle. Cancela is a known and proven talent - if a bit incosistent. And still pretty young.

Although we couldn't play a 4-3-3 with Cancela - with Obrien wide right and Mulrroney and Valakari. Doing a 4-4-2 with those players is just about perfect.

24. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    Totally disagree. Alverez we need to keep. Jolley and Garlick for Cancela, that might make sense for both teams... the problem of course would be that Cancela probably doesn't do enough defensive work to play our 4-3-3. Dempsey would be a better fit, but I don't know that we could put a package together enticing enough.... unless we threw Nunez in?

25. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    I would love Cancela in Dallas. Unfortunately, I just don't think that his style would be compatible w/ what the current group is doing. I think you'd have the same situation occurring like I predicted would happen w/ Jocon Reyes. Too boot, the usual clowns on this board would incessantly be on his @ss for real and percieved goofs that they routinely pardon other players for committing. Now, if you are talking CC, GE, and HSG for Cancela I am behind that 100% as always. Given the archaic blueprint, you'd best find either some legs that can run atop or guys that can give the early service. The business of showing for the ball, build up play, and attacking flair was purged from the organization via the same memo that also decided to decimate attendance.

As for Yi, I have enquired but no one can give me any specifics on how the boy is doing. As I've said before, he seems to have all the right credentials. Is his lack of prominence due to performance, style issues, practice habits, cultural differences, what? I'd think a guy coming stateside from a reportedly decent stint in the land of Eurodollars would be a major part of the defensive infrastructure.