Which Current USMNT Player Has the Best One-on-One Skills

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by ScissorsKick, Jul 6, 2005.

1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do have Justin Mapp, he just has lots of holes in the rest of his game. But jeebus is he a handful running at defenders.

Much the same can be said about Jeff Cunningham.

On the list the top 5 are the best (Johnson, Beasley, Noonan, Dempsey, Donovan). Mathis used to be when he had better speed.

Donovan's dribbling problems, I think, stem from a lack of use. He doesn't go at defenders enough and to really get good at it, you have to keep trying it over and over and over again to hone your skill.

This is one of those things where unfortunately US Soccer and its fans have taken the approach that what they want is free health care for everyone and lower taxes at the same time. We want our players to move the quickly and play one and two touch soccer and we went them to be able to beat players 1v1. Well I'm sorry but you're going to have to have tradeoffs there. An ability in one likely weakens the ability in the other.

2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I think we all need to clarify what one-on-one you are asking about.
    If you are running at a defender one v. one I'd pick Donovan #1 and Beasley #2. If you are talking about possessing the ball in a tight space one v. one against a defender and need clever touches to keep possession I'd pick O'Brien #1 and Reyna #2.

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    O'Brien

Watch his game against Jamaica when we secured qualification for the last World Cup. It was a clinic in taking on defenders 1v1.

It may have been a few years ago, but I'm maintaining hope that he will return.

4. SiempreFutbol

SiempreFutbol New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Granite Falls
    My vote goes to Beasley. He has great control of the ball and performs effective moves against the defenders when he's one v one. I went to the Gold Cup match of USA vs. Canada and Beasley went one v one a few times and pulled off great moves, one of which led to the second goal.

5. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Ronnie O'Brien.

But seriously, it's probably Beasley. Beasley is not a great dribbler, but he has amazing quickness, speed and agility. He's the kind of player that can leave a defender in the dust.

In MLS, there's been no one better than Justin Mapp. When he's in a 1-v-1 situation, it's more like a 1-v-0. He just blows past as if the defender doesn't exist. He's made every right back (and a couple of left backs) in the league look completely useless.

6. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK
    I think people are underestimating Wolff's 1vs1 ablilities. He's not the best but he's in the top 5. It's a tough pick. It use to be more clear in the old days with Ramos but I'll have to go with Jitterbug. Probably Landon is #2. I like the fact that Ralston is not afraid to go 1on1. People rag on Hedjuk step over moves but I saw EJ do the same thing. Reyna can get by people in midfield but I don't see him do it near goal. Cobi isn't too shabby, but he's not on the list. Johnny O, now there is some quality stuff. He's full of tricks and probably is #3.

7. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    Run DMB, 'cause he can run fast :eek:

8. ScissorsKick

ScissorsKick Member

Jan 12, 2005
    VA
    I agree! Beasley is one of the quickest players in the world.

9. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005

The man speaks truth. I direct you here: http://sitestat.kpn-is.nl/psv/psv/s?clickout.PSVTOP-DoelpuntRobert26&ns_type=clickout

1v1 doesn't always have to be insane dribbling skills. It's when you beat someone with the ball at your feet, period.

10. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    Adu...I'm looking into the future

11. gaucho

gaucho Member

Dec 17, 2001
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After today's game, it has to be the one player conspicuously left off the poll:

CHRIS ARMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Riceman

Riceman New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Wylie
    Wolff almost always beats his first man.

13. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    At BEATING people? In the mid-00s? REALLY?

14. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Noonan but I think DMB has the best ability to beat his man 1v1. I really love Clyde Simms but ive never seen him ever beat someone 1v1 much less even take someone on 1v1.

15. flash1316

flash1316 Member

Nov 27, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ralston has great 1v1 moves --- so does Cherundolo, he can break people down from the RB position too bad he's gone now and we have Hedjuk for the next 6 to 8 weeks.---- Donovan is good (i.e. Germany 2002) its just that he doesnt run at defenders that much. I wish he'd do it more. When he does he blows past them.-- JOB can do it.--- Dempsey can do it.-- Beasley does do it. I don't understand all this criticism of him, he beats defenders 1v1 all the time, and then promptly gets tackled from behind.

16. l3d007

l3d007 New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    usually when u say 1v1 that mean who can beat a defender off the dribble, making a pass isnt 1v1 . anyways ...if pat noonan is our best dribbler...we need to stress creativity...i honestly believe the US has improved over the past 5-6 years immensly and can actually compete with some of the worlds super powers. I think te US game is a more speed strength balls out play... compared to a brazil or france...i think england is a mix of the two... i think we have a good chance to luck out and beat soem very good teams in this upcomming world cup because of our style of play

17. ScissorsKick

ScissorsKick Member

Jan 12, 2005
    VA
    Rep!