Which city should host the WCQ home game vs Mexico in 2009?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by yellowbismark, Sep 14, 2008.

1. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't exactly serious. I'll make that clearer next time.

2. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. North Carolina does seem like a nice place and I thought we did a friendly there before the last WC.

3. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

play it in minneapolis. Granted there may be a few more mexicans at the game here than in columbus, but it will be much colder.

4. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    That would be awesome.

The problem is that the University of Minnesota would never allow the USSF to rig ticket distribution to limit the number of Mexicans.

5. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a game and a future wc venue yes. For the match against Mexico.....no!

6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    T and T, yes. Mexico, no please.

7. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    Half the fun, however, is seeing how disoriented and displaced those traveling immigrants appear.

I think that it would pretty cool to watch a bunch of fans of El Tri stagger around downtown Orono, Maine or Amherst, Massachusetts in February.

8. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hmmmm....:confused:

Must be like quantum mechanics to hail a Taxi cab in such a sorry place as Massachusetts, or rent a car with snow tires and GPS display.

You guys crack me up.

9. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are these MLS season ticket holders that ensure a full stadium? Are they the ones that managed to pack 11,000 people in the Chicago Fire's stadium last week?

10. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Mexicans think New England is a sorry place with lots of snow? That's excellent news. Keep on keeping out.

11. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, the long suffering immigrants who haven't seen their team in person since leaving the old country will make more an effort and sacrifice than the blase American fans.

Do you remember reading the story of the Guatemala fan (some elderly guy) who rode numerous buses to get to DC for that game and didn't have a ticket? How many Americans would do that?

12. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

How many Guatemalans would do that? It's a human interest story, not to be taken as indicative of anything.

13. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How were the ticket sales handled?

Also, a Wednesday game against T&T is not the same as a game against Mexico.

14. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least 1.

Ok, how many Americans showed up at Crew Stadium for the US-Mexico game even though they didn't have tickets? I bet not many. But the parking lot of that stadium appeared to be 70% Mexican and 30% American. Inside, the stadium was a completely different mix. It's a plain fact that Americans are not as interested in WCQs as our opponents.

15. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many Chicagoans recently showed up to support their National team?:rolleyes:

16. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

But at least 1, perhaps?

But if I play along, why restrict the observation to WCQs if we're talking about the level of fandom, I remember meeting many Americans in Germany who didn't have tickets to any US game. There was a piece in SI during 2002 about an American couple who quit their jobs because their bosses wouldn't give them the vacation time necessary to follow the US team in Korea.

I honestly don't know how much more interested our opponents are than we are for WCQs or other games, for that matter. I object, however, to any characterization of a huge, gaping disparity in the level of support among fans. Especially when clearly uncharacteristic news stories suitable for Dateline are cited.

17. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Wrong question. Especially since the Americans play three games at home for the WCQ semis, and the Guatemalans come to the US for a grand total of one time.

How many American fans from outside of Chicago made their way to Toyota Park, anyways? Many, judging from the BS chatter.

And for the second time in as many days, I would advise you to be a bit more informed before you make any more misguided implications.

18. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, that's fine. I don't think the World Cup is necessarily a good example. But, here are some pictures of RFK from the 2001 Honduras game. The red section along the sideline is Sam's Army. My section, opposite the Sam's Army section was nearly 100% Honduran.

I do hope things are changing, but I'll have to wait and see. I think consistently winning is the best way to ensure a pro US crowd at these games.

[​IMG]

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1125/564575600_f2ad5c8aab.jpg

19. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was about 12K total at the game.

20. Curva Nord

Curva Nord Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were at least two others, my wife and I. We didn't have tickets to any US matches. Ended up watching the final one in the Munich fan zone and there were, at least, a couple of hundred other Americans (some traveled and were not ex-pats).

As for WCQs, my friends and I are picking a game to travel to (we live in different parts of the US). We will probably wait for the Hex though because, right now, the US is that much better than their competition (at home at least) that we would rather wait for a more competitive match (Mexico, Costa Rica, etc).

21. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The assumption is that we'll be lost and disoriented in New England when mexican fans have been known to travel long distances without any problem, heck the custodian at the hospital where I work basically walked all the way from Chiapas without getting lost -or disoriented- thought I've seen tourist lost and disoriented in Downtown LA.

And yes, compared to California New England is a sorry place...:rolleyes:

22. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    Do you think that you can just hail a cab while you're trying not to step off the sidewalk along Route 9 in Hadley?

You bozos couldn't even figure out how to zip up your coats in Columbus back in 2001. Sorry. You decided NOT to zip them up because you wanted to show off your tasteful gold jewelry. My bad.

I'd love to see packs of you clowns trying to deal with the elements in Hartford in February.

You'd probably try to put Tecate in that rental car because you're convinced think it functions like Anti-Freeze.

23. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to admit though, the people here smell better. :p

24. MidnightMackemRider

MidnightMackemRider New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Boston Area
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I've lived in both places and I have to disagree with you. Boston is a much better tourist city than Los Angelos, and everything (with the exception of Gillette Stadium) is close together, and even gillette is right down 95 and only a leper cultist from dallas (see mls rivalries) would get lost.

California's highways are confusing to those who have never been, the tourist area's are all spread out, and the smog is one of the most disgusting things i've seen.

California is a nasty place to live.;)

you didn't really think no one would take the bait, didya?

25. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I was counting on people taking the bait...:rolleyes:

So your point is that Unitedstatesians like you would be confused in civilized places like LA, but Mexicans would be lost out in the boondocks around NE.

Plus my point still stands, hail a cab to take you places or rent a car with GPS and you'll go places, heck my Thomas Bros. Map is close to 15 years old, has been on the trunk of three cars and still will guide me with pinpoint accuracy anywhere within LA and Orange Counties.

Or could it be that in NE, the natives still ride horses and travel in stagecoach ? if that's the case points of interest will be several days ride away from anywhere in the state, but here in LA (and other civilized areas) we ride cars,so Magic Mountain is 1 hour ride from Dysneyland, and Malibu beach is a 15 minute drive from the Getty Center.

Dude is NY the only place where civilization remains on your side of the continent ?