Which CITY SHOULD HOST THE 2007 WYC FINAL?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CdnBhoy67 redded, Dec 4, 2004.

1. CdnBhoy67 redded

CdnBhoy67 redded Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Good idea, let Toronto host Canada's games and the semi finals and the final, that would be cool.

2. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's not to doubt, but what would be the attendance for a Colombia-Turkey final??

3. MAICOL

MAICOL Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Earth
    Club:
    Univ Catolica
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I think Toronto should host the finals.

4. jaydog2008

jaydog2008 New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    This is allready set edmonton will be hosting the finals.Toronto will get the semi-finals while the other 4 citys will each get to host a quarter-final game.

5. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    It's not already set , the CSA has yet
    to announce where the final will be and going on past attendances,
    Edmonton is a very poor choice and should not be considered.

6. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    Yeah, another 9,000 people show up,it would standing room only,
    at Commonwealth stadium,just what the CSA want the world to,
    see. :(

7. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Before you get on Edmonton for poor fan support, I think you should consider the possibility that Canadian soccer doesn't have that many fans. What did the Qualifier get at Swangard, 4,000? By K'head's estimate, 3/4 of that favored the visitors. It's not unlike the problem we have down here. Or to be more precise, it's very much like the problem we had before the advent of MLS. In the 80's, WCQ's would be played in St. Louis or Indianapolis in front of 4,000 fans, most of them hostile. USA still plays to hostile crowds in their own country, but at least the venues are bigger and fuller. Remember the World Track & Field Champs. in '01. That event drew very well.

8. To be quite honest Vancouver/Burnaby is a poor soccer market and also should not have any national team,
    wcq matches, it's a shame when the visitors can out number the home fans in a pathetic park like that. Plus the fact some of our fans were led out of there in handcuffs,
    show the mentality of the BC soccer fans (hooligans).

9. MAICOL

MAICOL Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Earth
    Club:
    Univ Catolica
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    So why not St.John's NFLD?
    It is a place for sure where the visiting team will not out number the home team.
    I am not even sure if the soccer field is still there.
    The last game I recall Canada playing there was when Canada made it the WC in '86.

10. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    Yes exactly St Johns would be better for Canadian soccer if they could put
    up a proper stadium.

11. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I believe they are rebuilding the stadium there (it was temp stands only in the past few years) for 2008 or something. It would be ideal, only 3½ time zones from England, a short flight from Europe and rabid pro-Canadian support with almost no opposing fans.

12. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    And how many in Quebec would actually turn out and cheer for Canada?
    Not to many is a safe bet. :eek:

13. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    St. John's is in Quebec now? :rolleyes:

14. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Bhoy aint the sharpest tool in the shed, and he can't string together two posts without seeking to troll. His post was the natural consequence of these two mixing.

15. MAICOL

MAICOL Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Earth
    Club:
    Univ Catolica
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  16. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada

You're really getting on my nerves here. Yes I would like having the final in Toronto but the fact is a 60,000 seat grass stadium is better then a 30,000 turf stadium. If the game was in Toronto there would be more chance of non canadian fans compared to anywhere else in Canada get that through your brain.

17. But is a 3/4 empty 60,000 stadium better then a full
    30,000 turf stadium?

18. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Please give it to Toronto for once :D we haven't really got anything over the past 5 or 6 years or so when it concerns the NT! It's usually the west coast that gets to host the home games (the few that we do), although I understand that we don't have a suitable field for it, we're working on one!

19. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    3/4 empty?

You mean like the last time Edmonton hosted an age group world championship final?

20. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't doubt it if Canada is in the final (ala 2002), but a Colombia-Turkey final could be embarassing in the stands, but I'm assuming they're preselling the tickets.

21. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's the (very real) risk every country takes when hosting this event.

With good planning, there is no reason whichever venue chosen to host the final (more than likely Edmonton) should not sell out.

22. Pirrip

Pirrip New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Saskatchewan
    Its an event of some note. I think the final will do quite well no matter who is in simply because it is a one time occurence and fairly significant globally. I seem to recall some worry about the world track and field championships a few years back, and I think Edmonton showed up quite well.

I note the continuing and remarkable similarity between 'Bhoy and 'rules when it comes to posting on any subject. Surely just a coincidence :rolleyes:

23. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I put the later on my ignore list and the latter ended up there automatically. Draw your own conclusions. It seem's BS's outsmarted him. I mean, "them". :rolleyes:

24. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    There's more chances of empty seats in Edmonton then Toronto if Canada
    doesn't do well. Edmonton has had enough tries hosting Canadian soccer
    events, now it's Toronto's turn.

25. Joe MacCarthy

Joe MacCarthy New Member

Dec 4, 2004
    According to the latest article the final that the CSA originally destined for Edmonton is now up in the air.

Canada will kick off the 52-match tournament in Toronto on July 1, 2007. Initial plans called for Edmonton to host the championship game July 22 with the bronze medal match in Toronto, but now the CSA says the final will be either Edmonton or Toronto.